E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

M172 Replica vs OEM

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2007 | 09:49 AM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530i Titanium Silver with with Black Dakota Leather, Auto Transmission, Sports Pkg, Premium Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, HUD, M5 Pkg, Prem HI FI, Nav, I pod adapter,park distance cntr, fold down seats,
Thumbs up

I am looking into replacing the wheels in my 530I with sports wheels for the M 172. I have seen replicas for about less than half the price of the OEM. I would appreciate if any of you have any advice as to whether I should not get the replicas because of quality or anything else. Additionally I am located in Germany and winter is around the corner. I am thinking of getting all season tires for the M 172 wheels thus I can use them during the winter season. Here we have had some winters where we had a lot of snow. My question is, does it makes sense to use my car with the M 172 with all season tires in the snow or is it not even worth trying or recommendable. The other thing I can do is try to get all season tires for the sports wheels (123s) that came with the car. I would really appreciate any advice. Cheers!
Old 09-27-2007 | 09:54 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Welcome to our Forum Juancho,

In wintertime 17" 225/50 are the best choice.

Replicas... other's may say a good word about them, I will not.

See these guys.

Please update whereabouts and car details.
Old 09-27-2007 | 10:04 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, X6 Hybrid . Alpine White , every option. 20" Conti' NON runflats,OEM trunk spoiler , LUX V3 AE's , HP Thunder Fogs , custom front bumper reflector delete........

I would recommend keeping your wheels OEM due to several member complaining about non OEMs, research this in the forums search feature, as for a winter set up I suggest that you keep your stock wheels mounted with snowies and get a true performance tire for the 172s , all seasons are only average in snow and the same for summer. To get the maximum enjoyment and safety I think you need to invest in 2 sets, IMHO . Good luck

Cheers and Welcome !
Old 09-27-2007 | 10:05 AM
Senior Members

Personally I would stay away from replicas.

Have you asked quadM from this forum for a quote on the OEM M172's?

info@mtechnicparts.com
or check out the mods forum.

I'm sure he'll get you a good price.
Old 09-27-2007 | 10:23 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E90 330i + E60 550i

there are some reall terrible replicas, trash, then there are very well made ones. Ive had the miro ones on my e90 and the finish was flawless and strong through the winter. They required no rings, adapters, etc; bolted on just like oem. Balanced out fine.

Its hard to determine where replicas are being manufactured, but if they meet various stsandards, they should be ok. Just dont expect 100% oem quality, as the replicas vary.
Old 09-27-2007 | 10:31 AM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530i Titanium Silver with with Black Dakota Leather, Auto Transmission, Sports Pkg, Premium Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, HUD, M5 Pkg, Prem HI FI, Nav, I pod adapter,park distance cntr, fold down seats,

Good info from all of you. I was trying to keep expenses low but it might make sense to get a set for winter and then the M 172 with good performance tires. I was really hoping to get to a happy medium and not have to get both sets of tires. I will continue listening, this helps. Thanks.
Old 09-27-2007 | 10:34 AM
Contributors

Welcome to the forum.
I had replicas (#166), and now I have OEMs.
I had bad ones, but there are some good ones out there. Mine were made in China.

The biggest problem is that replicas can cause vibration throughout the vehicle if they are not perfectly balanced. Due to manufacturing problems with either the weight distribution or the hubcentric fit, many replicas will cause you a lot of misery. Only OEMs will give you assurance of a good purchase.

It is very easy to ruin a $50,000 (US) car with a cheap set of wheels.

Best regards,
Richard
Old 09-27-2007 | 11:40 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by monacobmw' post='475050' date='Sep 27 2007, 09:34 PM
It is very easy to ruin a $50,000 (US) car with a cheap set of wheels.
+1

Over here easily a ?70,000 car ($100,000).

And + for you Juancho for updating your facts.
Old 09-27-2007 | 12:20 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

I'd NEVER EVER buy any replicas!

I work on a towtruck and see wrecks every day.
There is a HUGE difference in quality!!
Old 09-27-2007 | 02:32 PM
Members

My Ride: Sept '06 535d M sport ,Silver ,Black Dakota Leather,HUD ,TV, Media ,Visibility,Heated F+R seats,Comfort Seats, Active seats ,Sun protection glass,Dark Poplar wood, sunroof ,Elec Sunblinds , Folding mirrors, 19" 172s ,Extended lights Package, Debadged

Originally Posted by Iceman' post='475135' date='Sep 27 2007, 09:20 PM
I'd NEVER EVER buy any replicas!

I work on a towtruck and see wrecks every day.
There is a HUGE difference in quality!!

+1

Always avoid replicas if the style of wheel is available as an OEM. If you want a different wheel that isnt OEM,then go for as reputable a manufacturer as possible.

As well as the problems mentioned above,cheaper replica wheels are often more porous,leading to a gradual loss of air from the tire. NOT very safe.

Quick Reply: M172 Replica vs OEM