E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

M-Sport suspension or non-sport+DD on bad roads?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 10:54 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 320d SE (E90) manual - Sapphire Black, Beige Leather Sports Seats, Burled Walnut, Heated Seats, Sunroof, Comfort Access, Hi-Fi sound, Bluetooth, Side-Window blinds, Through-Load, Luggage Net, PDC Front & Rear, Adaptive Xenons, Style 158 17", Chrome Grill & Window Trim, Blackline Tailights, Power folding/dimming side mirrors, Split Armrest, Dual Zone Climate, Cruise, LEDs on door handles, iPod nano, SE K750i

Originally Posted by inmediate' post='361141' date='Nov 27 2006, 07:22 PM
Of course, the DD+ Std choice is not enough for the car performance. (My particular point of view)

Thanks for this advice. Are you are one of the few people I have seen with this combination your personal experience is very enlightening.

Cheers!
Old 11-27-2006, 11:09 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 320d SE (E90) manual - Sapphire Black, Beige Leather Sports Seats, Burled Walnut, Heated Seats, Sunroof, Comfort Access, Hi-Fi sound, Bluetooth, Side-Window blinds, Through-Load, Luggage Net, PDC Front & Rear, Adaptive Xenons, Style 158 17", Chrome Grill & Window Trim, Blackline Tailights, Power folding/dimming side mirrors, Split Armrest, Dual Zone Climate, Cruise, LEDs on door handles, iPod nano, SE K750i

Originally Posted by Redrum' post='361143' date='Nov 27 2006, 07:40 PM
My last car was an E46 330cd and that was a real bone jarring experience, coupled with tramlining it really felt unsafe on bumpy B-roads at speed.
... knackered at the end of the drive each day.
That's how my E90 feels a lot of the time. It takes a lot of concentration and two firm hands on the wheel on poor roads. My passengers aren't comfortable at all and I don't like to see that.

I went for 17" RFT on the 320d and it's a non-sport suspension.
I now understand why so many people have 16" of their E90s over here. I drove one and it was a bit better.

I love the E60 (especially the M-Sport look) and will probably change as soon as the facelift and new 535d is out. I have driven the SE and it seems comfortable but a bit too soft but need to locate an M-sport to take for a multi-day test drive.

Thanks for your advice...
Old 11-27-2006, 01:35 PM
Members

My Ride: 535dSE - Amethyst Grey, No model insc, standard wheels, Dynamic Drive, Rear side airbags, Auto-dim ext & int mirrors, Myrtle wood trim, Amethyst-Exclusive Leather, Heated front & rear seats, Active front seats, Electric comfort seats, Visibilty Pack, Pro Sat-Nav with TV, Bluetooth, Sun Protection glass.

I for one am very happy with the standard suspension + DD. IMO the DD option is a good effort at the holy grail of suspension designers: soft ride and sharp handling. I remember being amazed at how flatly my E61 seemed to corner when i first got it, but now it just seems normal. Keeping the car flat makes the suspension and tyres work more predictably and helps prevent roll oversteer (although these days the DTC does the job of keeping car pointing in the right direction). Rolling changes the angle of the tyres to the road and can alter the roll centre of the car.

I am not a fan of the current fashion towards harder and harder suspension to minimise roll, so the SE model with Dynamic Drive was what I wanted and it delivers a fast, unruffled driving experience. It's just a shame you can't have the Sport bodykit without retrofitting it.

Getting rid of the RFT's also got rid of a lot of harshness from the ride and dramatically improved noise levels, but most of all tramlining has gone completely.

It's a problem that most dealers don't have much of a range of choices to test drive so that you can make up your own mind.
Old 12-01-2006, 09:04 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 07' 550i sport; Sapphire Black/Auburn; sport package; steptronic; navigation with R.T.T.I.; heads up; cold weather package; Logic-7; BMW MOST ipod kit; Motorola V3 snap-in adapter; rear heated seats and rear shades; anthracite headliner; sirrius sat. radio; M-aero kit; OEM style 166 Wheels with 245/35-19 front and 285/30-19 rear Michelin PS2s.

US reader here confirming that the M-Aero kit includes only the bumpers and side-skirts. Its is installed at the dock in the U.S. on any normal 5 series. The M sport is assembled at the factory with all the goodies you mentioned in your thread (wheels, door sills etc....) not added on by the dealer after production.

I have an 07' 550i sport (U.S.) and added Style 166 M5 wheels and non run flat tires. The 07' 550i sport now comes with the wheel from the M sport (except different grade leather and no notches in the wheel at 2:00 at 10:00 - but it is heated). So I added the plastic steering wheel plate with the M badge replacing the dark chrome trim on the factory wheel. I added the M door sills and the M dead pedal. My last car had the M badge on the steering wheel and I can't express how much I love being greated every morning by that special single letter. Plus the blue and red from the logo on the door sills really look sharp against my auburn interior.

My 2 cents....
-- The exclusion of the M sport package in America is a vote of no confidence by BMW (of North America probably as opposed to BMW AG). Unfortunately, their assessment that we do not need or appreciate extreme sports suspensions is accurate in regard to most Americans, but I'm a non-conforming American and so I suffer. There is always the M5, but I think any BMW owner would agree that you should not have to get the model with the most expensive model with the premium (and perhaps heaviest) engine just to get an enthusiast grade suspension. BMW needs to leave the luxury markets to Audi and MB or face a crisis down the road when their cars loose their reputation as the ultimate driving machines (which I believe the 650 and 750 in particular are in danger of doing)

DRP
Old 12-01-2006, 09:20 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 07' 550i sport; Sapphire Black/Auburn; sport package; steptronic; navigation with R.T.T.I.; heads up; cold weather package; Logic-7; BMW MOST ipod kit; Motorola V3 snap-in adapter; rear heated seats and rear shades; anthracite headliner; sirrius sat. radio; M-aero kit; OEM style 166 Wheels with 245/35-19 front and 285/30-19 rear Michelin PS2s.

"probably the car sits lower dunno for sure, for sure it sits lower than normal and also it's a fact that M sport suspension has thicker anti roll bars than sport suspension."

The sport suspension with DD (which is the same as the only sport package avail. in the U.S.) has a tad lower ride height than an M sport (since the DD limits suspension travel the car can ride lower - particularly in the front). The M sport uses significantly stiffer springs and shocks than the DD sport suspension and good old fashion mechanical thick performance roll bars just like an M5. Dynamic Drive uses hydraulic roll bars (that have the strength to elimintae all body roll if so programmed) and so the shocks and springs are softer since they no longer need to contribute toward combating body roll - as they do in the M sport. At the end of the day the DD suspension is sporty with more straight line comfort than was ever before possible with a sport suspension. The M sport suspension is stiffer all around and sacrafices comfort in return for crisper turn in and more road feedback than the DD sport suspension. I'm gathering (having had a BMW with M technik suspension) that the M sport suspension works better at 250 km/h than at 150 km/h. I can't say for sure (I now have a DD sport suspension 550i) that the same applies to the DD sport set up.

Hope that helps anyone pondering the difference.
DRP
Old 12-01-2006, 09:48 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by 550isport' post='362573' date='Dec 1 2006, 06:20 PM
The M sport uses significantly stiffer springs and shocks than the DD sport suspension and good old fashion mechanical thick performance roll bars just like an M5. Dynamic Drive uses hydraulic roll bars (that have the strength to elimintae all body roll if so programmed) and so the shocks and springs are softer since they no longer need to contribute toward combating body roll - as they do in the M sport. At the end of the day the DD suspension is sporty with more straight line comfort than was ever before possible with a sport suspension. The M sport suspension is stiffer all around and sacrafices comfort in return for crisper turn in and more road feedback than the DD sport suspension. I'm gathering (having had a BMW with M technik suspension) that the M sport suspension works better at 250 km/h than at 150 km/h. I can't say for sure (I now have a DD sport suspension 550i) that the same applies to the DD sport set up.

Thanks. If you order DD as an option here you can have it with either the normal suspension or sports (not M-technik though). I am considering ordering DD with the normal suspension as I want as much comfort as possible on those bad roads. I'm hoping that the DD will stiffen the roll bar enough in the corners that it will feel sporty when I need it. A few people on this thread seem to have that combination and like it.

What I am curious about is this...
you mention that the springs in the US sports suspension can be softer due to DD. Does this mean that the springs with the EU sports suspension (without dynamic drive) would be harder than the springs you would get with DD (i.e. when you add DD, even the sports springs are made softer because they can be). Do you get me? Does anyone know.

If I thought the sports suspension with DD was slightly softer than the 'sports suspension' without it then I might consider that as a good compromise.
Old 12-01-2006, 01:26 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by 550isport' post='362573' date='Dec 1 2006, 10:20 PM
"probably the car sits lower dunno for sure, for sure it sits lower than normal and also it's a fact that M sport suspension has thicker anti roll bars than sport suspension."

The sport suspension with DD (which is the same as the only sport package avail. in the U.S.) has a tad lower ride height than an M sport (since the DD limits suspension travel the car can ride lower - particularly in the front). The M sport uses significantly stiffer springs and shocks than the DD sport suspension and good old fashion mechanical thick performance roll bars just like an M5. Dynamic Drive uses hydraulic roll bars (that have the strength to elimintae all body roll if so programmed) and so the shocks and springs are softer since they no longer need to contribute toward combating body roll - as they do in the M sport. At the end of the day the DD suspension is sporty with more straight line comfort than was ever before possible with a sport suspension. The M sport suspension is stiffer all around and sacrafices comfort in return for crisper turn in and more road feedback than the DD sport suspension. I'm gathering (having had a BMW with M technik suspension) that the M sport suspension works better at 250 km/h than at 150 km/h. I can't say for sure (I now have a DD sport suspension 550i) that the same applies to the DD sport set up.

Hope that helps anyone pondering the difference.
DRP
I mostly agree with you and find interesting your point of view but can you show some evidence about the bolded statement as i didn't know that (regarding the height of DD+sport vs M sport)
Old 12-01-2006, 01:44 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by 550isport' post='362573' date='Dec 1 2006, 06:20 PM
Dynamic Drive uses hydraulic roll bars (that have the strength to elimintae all body roll if so programmed) and so the shocks and springs are softer since they no longer need to contribute toward combating body roll

Let me try to make the question as simple as I can (it's complicated). In Europe you can order sports suspension on its own or with DD.

- are the sports suspension springs/shocks modified (softer) from what they normally are if you also order DD?

The question doesn't apply to the US as sports suspension always comes with DD.
Old 12-02-2006, 02:09 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Raighne' post='362668' date='Dec 2 2006, 02:44 AM
Let me try to make the question as simple as I can (it's complicated). In Europe you can order sports suspension on its own or with DD.

- are the sports suspension springs/shocks modified (softer) from what they normally are if you also order DD?

The question doesn't apply to the US as sports suspension always comes with DD.
Good question...But then why would one choose the sport suspension if they already change it back to more softer if one chooses DD aswell. I suspect the answer is no.
Old 12-02-2006, 07:32 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Raighne' post='361052' date='Nov 27 2006, 10:20 AM
Thanks BRAD! Very useful info.
It's impossible to get a good feel for this on test drives. I wish BMW had a facility to take a test car out for a couple of days like some of the other brands are beginning to offer.

Driving in Ireland I do alot of,had some 520s 1 x 530d and now guss what 520d m sport with those dreaded runflats,Ihave to say I am well impressed with the ride of the car ,more stable and definetly more comfortable we go to the noth quit a bit thru mullingar / cavan (the tolls are a killer!!!) these roads are a good test for any car,the last time we were in the north my wife commented on how more comfortable this car is towards the standard 530d good luck with your purchase......