E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

M Sport Steering Wheel discolored

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 01:11 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Guys

My MSport Steering Wheel is showing some signs of wear, even though the car is relatively new.

This is a picture from another forum, with the same problem as I'm facing:

M Sport Steering Wheel discolored-1644-img-2403.jpg

This is pretty annoying, since my previous E60 had the Sport Steering Wheel (alu frame), and that had no signs of use, even after twice the milage as I have done now in the E61.

I've seen several MSport Steering Wheels with this issue. Does anyone have a DYI for this ?

This is my interior. Would an alu frame on the steering wheel coming from a sport steering wheel look bad (part no.: 32346775300) or what should I do?

M Sport Steering Wheel discolored-p1000516.jpg
Old 10-01-2011, 02:59 AM
Members

I have got the same problem with my Msport Steering wheel on my 2008 520d. Half of the coating came of but the rest would not come off?! I'm not sure what to use to take the rest off? Please advice.
Old 10-01-2011, 04:56 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

If the car is still under warranty, take it back to the dealer. Otherwise, to do it properly, you would need to remove the cover. I'm not sure how far the wheel needs to be taken down to get it off. I would start with using 3m wet/dry sandpaper and water (provided no electronic parts remain on cover!)

ITEMS:
Wet/dry sandpaper - 220, 320, 400, 500 & 600
Pre-cleaner
Adhesion Promoter
Spray primer - for plastic parts. If not available, I would use what they have since this part is pretty firm and stable.
Black Paint - ask for "soft Touch" paint. If they don't have it, call around or look on line. Otherwise, you can use regular black paint, but it won't feel the same...

Go to an Automotive paint supply store and ask for a can of adhesion promoter and a good can of spray primer, they will normally have this. I think there a brand like Senco or something like this. Do NOT use a primer that you can get at a local auto parts store... If this is all you have access to, I would probably omit this this step.

Start: Clean part before sanding with the pre-cleaner or soap and water. If you use soap, make sure there is no oils in there... Maybe like Dawn or Joy...

220 - until you get all the old paint off.
320 - go over surface until smooth
400 - same as above

After the part is final sanded clean it with soap and water. If have the pre-cleaner for paint, this is better. Let Dry.

Spray the adhesion promoter on the part per the instructions.

Spray one light to medium coat of primer on the surface and let it flash/dry for a few minutes.

Repeat the above process two times, ending with three coats of primer.

I would let this set for 6-8 hours or overnight.

Sand with water and 600 grit wet paper and clean with pre-cleaner or soap and water. If you omit the primer, then the final sanding should be 600 grit.

Spray one coat of black paint and let flash then repeat adding ~3-4 coats.
Old 10-01-2011, 05:33 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 550i Jet Black|Black Options: Sport|Premium|Cold Weather|PDC|Nav|Satellite Radio|Active Steering|Convenience Entry Mods: Trinity Side Skirts|Trinity Black Grilles|LCI Tail Lights with Bruce V6|Fog Light Bezel Rings|MTEC V2 Angel Eyes|LED License Plate Lights

I had the exact same problem with my 2007 550. It was still under factory coverage so I brought it in and they replaced the parts.
Old 10-01-2011, 06:10 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Everyone should also be aware of what is on there hands... Some sunscreens and perhaps lotions antibiotic sanitizers, even sweat etc.. can have a negative impact on painted surfaces. However, most of the problems come in when this material is applied directly to the surface and left there and not if already absorbed in your skin. If absorbed, it can still occur but less likely or could just take a lot longer. I used to be responsible for interior parts and this was one of the required test in our lab. Keep in mind, there are always new products coming out that people use and these new items may have not been tested against certain paints etc...
Old 10-01-2011, 12:17 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by tonyb635
If the car is still under warranty, take it back to the dealer. Otherwise, to do it properly, you would need to remove the cover. I'm not sure how far the wheel needs to be taken down to get it off. I would start with using 3m wet/dry sandpaper and water (provided no electronic parts remain on cover!)

ITEMS:
Wet/dry sandpaper - 220, 320, 400, 500 & 600
Pre-cleaner
Adhesion Promoter
Spray primer - for plastic parts. If not available, I would use what they have since this part is pretty firm and stable.
Black Paint - ask for "soft Touch" paint. If they don't have it, call around or look on line. Otherwise, you can use regular black paint, but it won't feel the same...

Go to an Automotive paint supply store and ask for a can of adhesion promoter and a good can of spray primer, they will normally have this. I think there a brand like Senco or something like this. Do NOT use a primer that you can get at a local auto parts store... If this is all you have access to, I would probably omit this this step.

Start: Clean part before sanding with the pre-cleaner or soap and water. If you use soap, make sure there is no oils in there... Maybe like Dawn or Joy...

220 - until you get all the old paint off.
320 - go over surface until smooth
400 - same as above

After the part is final sanded clean it with soap and water. If have the pre-cleaner for paint, this is better. Let Dry.

Spray the adhesion promoter on the part per the instructions.

Spray one light to medium coat of primer on the surface and let it flash/dry for a few minutes.

Repeat the above process two times, ending with three coats of primer.

I would let this set for 6-8 hours or overnight.

Sand with water and 600 grit wet paper and clean with pre-cleaner or soap and water. If you omit the primer, then the final sanding should be 600 grit.

Spray one coat of black paint and let flash then repeat adding ~3-4 coats.
+1
To the OP: I have a professional detailer guy that can take care of this for me for a pretty low price (20 EUR or so), I suggest you find someone similar in the area where you live and take the car to him..