E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

"M' Badging

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 08:16 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 M5

I think it's pretty simple... the BADGE represents what ENGINE you have, and has nothing to do with what car you have or what parts you have on your car.

Even BMW puts "M" stuff on their cars as factory installed options... "M" simply stands for "Motorsport" like Dodge performance parts are called "Mopar".

You should be able to put all the "M" stuff you want on your car (preferably "Motorsport" and not "Mopar" )... the more the better... but if you put an "M" badge on, then you are claiming you have an M engine which is misleading... and I would consider that posing.
Old 11-21-2008, 08:20 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by VirtualRain' post='727669' date='Nov 21 2008, 09:16 AM
I think it's pretty simple... the BADGE represents what ENGINE you have, and has nothing to do with what car you have or what parts you have on your car.

Even BMW puts "M" stuff on their cars either as standard or factory... "M" simply stands for motorsport.

You should be able to put all the "M" stuff you want on your car... the more the better... but if you put an "M" badge on, then you are claiming you have an M engine which is misleading... and I would consider that posing.
i completely agree!!! again, i see no problem with someone having a M steering wheel, shift knob, pedals, etc. but once you start to portray you actually HAVE an M, then you've smoked one too many!lol

be proud and rock what you have, i proudly rock my 518i badge!!!
Old 11-21-2008, 03:04 PM
Senior Members

if you debadge your car but put m5 parts and kits, whats the differenece if you put an m5 badge on a 525i with no kit? who really cares? obviously we all kit our cars because we like the way they look with the mods. whether it be a m badge or m kit or wateva. everyone here is modding up there cars to make into something its not. you have a choice: mod your car or leave it stock. most mod it. y scrutinize someone for doing what they like? i have a 545 with a complete m5 kit and m5 badge because i like the sportyness of the mcolors and kit. dont really care if anyone else likes it. once i do brembos you wont be able to tell from looking its not m5. then, i might do the supercharger and bring the car up to 550hp. bottomline is who cares wat evryone thinks? its your so do what you want.
Old 11-21-2008, 03:30 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by bahamutzyro' post='728053' date='Nov 21 2008, 04:04 PM
if you debadge your car but put m5 parts and kits, whats the differenece if you put an m5 badge on a 525i with no kit? who really cares? obviously we all kit our cars because we like the way they look with the mods. whether it be a m badge or m kit or wateva. everyone here is modding up there cars to make into something its not. you have a choice: mod your car or leave it stock. most mod it. y scrutinize someone for doing what they like? i have a 545 with a complete m5 kit and m5 badge because i like the sportyness of the mcolors and kit. dont really care if anyone else likes it. once i do brembos you wont be able to tell from looking its not m5. then, i might do the supercharger and bring the car up to 550hp. bottomline is who cares wat evryone thinks? its your so do what you want.
we hear you loud and clear, no need to <yell>.

let me ask you, if you pull up next to a Mercedes Benz that was clearly not an AMG tuned car....but yet had an AMG badge, what would you think?
Old 11-21-2008, 04:04 PM
Members

U know....I can understand people wanting to add mods onto their car...no matter what they may be. Even if you want to rip the badges off...y someone wouldn't want people to know what model their car is...is beyond me....but that's fine also. But to try and up grade peoples perception of what you have under the hood is wack!!! It's kinda like walkin around with a sock in your pants.....u got everyone impressed until it comes time to step up to da plate!!!
Old 11-21-2008, 05:09 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Alpine White 550i Sport, Cream Beige Interior, 6-Sp Manual - retired 9/2011

Originally Posted by GT Premi' post='727574' date='Nov 21 2008, 10:17 AM

Do tell! Other than the model badge, how can a person tell the difference between a 525i and a 550i? (I'm talking non-Sport here.)
The easiest way is via the size of the tailpipes....550's are wider and more circular.
Old 11-21-2008, 07:19 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by MacFly' post='728079' date='Nov 21 2008, 07:30 PM
we hear you loud and clear, no need to <yell>.

let me ask you, if you pull up next to a Mercedes Benz that was clearly not an AMG tuned car....but yet had an AMG badge, what would you think?

wouldnt really care. mercedes makes models that are not sl 55 but have amg kit. whats the difference? why spend 100,000 on an m5 if you dont need to? if you like the looks, u can kit it and mod it and its the same looks. maybe people cant afford to by an m5. so they mod there cars like all of us do.
Old 11-21-2008, 07:46 PM
Members

Originally Posted by bahamutzyro' post='728256' date='Nov 21 2008, 11:19 PM
wouldnt really care. mercedes makes models that are not sl 55 but have amg kit. whats the difference? why spend 100,000 on an m5 if you dont need to? if you like the looks, u can kit it and mod it and its the same looks. maybe people cant afford to by an m5. so they mod there cars like all of us do.
I think some people believe u shouldn't b worthy of having the m5 badge if your not able or willing to shell out the bread........ yeah it has different cosmetic and other "features" that the others don't that you can add... but when it comes down to it it's all about that v10!! And if your willing to go that far I'll be the first one to say stick all the m5 badges on you want.
Old 11-21-2008, 08:04 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by bahamutzyro' post='728256' date='Nov 21 2008, 08:19 PM
that's why we don't see eye to eye on this. i look at an M as the top shelf of any series, not cuz' of the body stylings or simply the "look"....it's all about what's under the hood my friend. go ahead and get your M steering wheel, pedals, M5 kit and even the badge....it's still NOT an M!

why spend the extra money for an M or AMG you ask!!? cuz they can!
Old 11-22-2008, 11:46 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='722553' date='Nov 16 2008, 05:03 PM
Well...in a way BMW opened the Pandora box on this issue, by offering special M-packs that contain a suite of M parts for their series cars. M-packs should in no way be mistaken with the "M cars" as in M3, M5, M6. Those are clearly the best of the BMW motoring. Think of the M badges on a "non-M car" as in S line for audi.

However i understand you. Like you i debadged my car but only with the model badge. The M door sills that came with the Mpack and the little M logo on the steering wheel remained as i think it wouldn't make sense to take them out from an esthetic point of view. I also did not debadge my car (taking of the 535d) just to confuse people. I did it since i don't understand the logic in having a sticker on the back of the car telling others in the back what model it is. It's plain dumb and useless, unless someone may argue on an esthetic point of view, case in which it's their right to do so.

Moreover if i were to get an "M car" as in M3, M5, M6 i would still debadge the car. It would make even more sense...if you catch my drift

The problem is with poser people...the ones that on purpose put wrong badges on their cars, most of them putting badges of the "M cars". I even seen a dumb mofo with an old 7 series with M6 badge on it :dooh: Those people are only posers and i feel pitty for them when they pull up at the stop lights next to the real thing. I wouldn't be able not even to smile looking at the other car/driver.

I myself got thumbsup from M3 and M5 drivers when we signaled each other the thumbs up in traffic. As long as it is done with good taste, any kind of moding works. Even M parts.

for sure!

Quick Reply: "M' Badging