E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

"M' Badging

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 07:53 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

Originally Posted by C's Bimmer' post='722890' date='Nov 16 2008, 08:22 PM
I've decided to debadge the Carbon Fiber M5 badge and rebadge the car with the Shadowchrome M5 badge. Is that a mistake? My wife thinks that taking the original M5 badge off in the first place, was stupid. At times, I think she was right, but I'll never tell her that.
And what is it worth to you that she never finds this out???
Old 11-16-2008, 08:53 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i SMG

Originally Posted by flyingpuck' post='722768
I've decided to debadge the Carbon Fiber M5 badge and rebadge the car with the Shadowchrome M5 badge. Is that a mistake? My wife thinks that taking the original M5 badge off in the first place, was stupid. At times, I think she was right, but I'll never tell her that.
I have to agree with the wife on this one.
The original is by far the best looking
Old 11-16-2008, 08:58 PM
Contributors

simply put...the "M" is all about what's under the hood!

from an "M" steering wheel, fenders, deck lid, etc....it's not an "M"! i've always said, rock what you have....be proud, M or otherwise.
Old 11-16-2008, 09:22 PM
Senior Members

I'm no enthusiast or traditionalist, but I think putting M parts on the car defile the meaning of the M emblem and the M cars as well. M steering, shifter, etc. which clearly have an M on it on a non M car, is just wrong. Getting the M tech kit seems to be the only one I can condone, because it comes without the emblem as well as on the 550i, (I think, or something similar). You can do it, if you want, I won't lose sleep over it. But it still doesn't hide the fact that you're lying to everyone else knowingly. How is it different from people putting F430 bodies on Pontiac Fieros? You didn't pay the same amount as the person that bought the M model or the f430, why should you enjoy the fake one?
Old 11-16-2008, 10:21 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 M5

The badge on the trunk indicates what engine you have.

If you don't have the engine matching your badge, or more precisely, put a badge for a higher performing engine on your car than you actually have, you deserve all the ridicule you will get.

Now there are three kinds of people that de-badge their car...
1. Those who have a small engine and don't want to advertise it
2. Those that have a powerful engine and don't want to advertise it
3. Those that have no engine and want to be badged accurately (Flinstones FTW!)

To the enthusiast, it's usually immediately apparent which one of these applies!!! Non-enthusiasts could care less, so why bother?!
Old 11-16-2008, 10:26 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See sig :)

Originally Posted by VirtualRain' post='723027' date='Nov 16 2008, 11:21 PM
The badge on the trunk indicates what engine you have.

If you don't have the engine matching your badge, or more precisely, put a badge for a higher performing engine on your car than you actually have, you deserve all the ridicule you will get.

Now there are three kinds of people that de-badge their car...
1. Those who have a small engine and don't want to advertise it
2. Those that have a powerful engine and don't want to advertise it
3. Those that have no engine and want to be badged accurately (Flinstones FTW!)

To the enthusiast, it's usually immediately apparent which one of these applies!!! Non-enthusiasts could care less, so why bother?!
I could agree, but I would add a 4th option... shaving the emblems makes the car just look cleaner, flows smoother...
Old 11-16-2008, 10:56 PM
Members

Originally Posted by juris335' post='722507' date='Nov 16 2008, 11:48 PM
I don't understand why placing an "M" badge on a non-M car recieves such uniform condemnation from the folks when installing ALL of the other "M" parts recieves such uniform accolations. (Note: I will not place any badges on my car- have taken them all off).

Fairly new to the e60 world, I am thinking there is some characteristic about the "M" ,other than it is a recognized letter in most alphabets, that triggers all of the criticism when used on a non-M car.

The M steering wheel; the M exhausts; the M mirrors; the M hood; the M fenders; the M wheels; the M trim; the M spoiler are just few of the M mods that are put on non M cars that recieve uniform compliments - and send a message to most non-BMW drivers that the car may be an M. Perhaps the reason is that more of the driving public will mistakenly think the car with the M badge is an M than will think the car with the M hood is an M. And perhaps it matters how many members of the driving public mistakenly think that what they see is an M. It is fine with me what the driving public thinks is an M and what they think is not an M.

I could care less what another person does with his car with his own money. I am just striving to learn why the M badge is not treated the same as all of the other M mods. Thanks.

As far as I am concerned and in my sole opinion, all these talk about the "why" and "why not" of putting an M badge are very hollow and possibly smack with "protectionism" of the significance of the M badge. I only know the following...
My car, I put whatever I want.
You don't like it, don't look.
Old 11-16-2008, 11:04 PM
Contributors

^^^ Yes fair enough, but ppl will laugh, and make a mockery of you trying to pose as a better car, when in fact your not, deep inside you will feel like an idiot for doing so when a REAL m5 pulls up beside you at the lights... But hey go nuts, i say alpina b5 badges ftw.
Contributors

dbl post
Contributors

holy fn lag, 3 posts.

Quick Reply: "M' Badging