E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Love my 550I

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 07:56 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gotabyte
Much worse than Chevy or Ford, we could be driving Toyotas with defects galore. When was the last time you heard of one of their vehicles without a major defect that resulted in deaths.
This statement is retarded.

Four people died in ONE accident due to the "sticky accelerator" that Toyota recalled. Considering Toyota sells approximately 2 MILLION cars a year in the US, thats pretty good.

There have been 34 deaths since 2000 which are alleged to be caused by this problem, but it is not proven.

People... You are posting on the internet, the same medium can be used to do research... fucking do some.
Old 07-10-2011, 10:51 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 535i

Originally Posted by craigm1841
The build quality of a BMW is far superior to Toyota, but BMW cant hold a candle to Toyotas reliability. BMW consistently scores poorly on reliability tests, Toyota always scores well.

If you think BMWs are regarded for their reliability, you are in a league of your own. You would be hard pressed to find even the most die-hard BMW loyalists to tell you that modern BMWs are reliable.
To me, the reliability is a key component of the build quality. As such, I would obviously side with the Toyota as having both superior build quality and reliability. The whole Toyota defects causing countless deaths thing is just a result of typical media witch hunting. imo.
Old 07-10-2011, 01:53 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550I,Space Grey,Hud,Cold Weather,M - Sport, matched GP Thunder headlights and Fogs,,Smoked Badges, Night Vision, Heated Seats,Rear Sunshades, Aux Audio, SAT, NAV, Black Grills, Sprint Booster, Dinan Cold Air, Stage 2 Dinan Software.....More to come soon

Originally Posted by ProMed
To me, the reliability is a key component of the build quality. As such, I would obviously side with the Toyota as having both superior build quality and reliability. The whole Toyota defects causing countless deaths thing is just a result of typical media witch hunting. Imo.
I think we all agree that BMW cars are very complex machines. So now the real question is if you pack all this technology in a Toyota then what would be the result. In my mind it becomes a Lexus which has a very numb feel when you drive and you feel disconnected from the road "old mans car" I like to call it.

But Lexus caters to its audience and its demographics flawlessly and I commend their marketing strategy. I can never drive one I just love the way german sedans feel when you drive them and thats all.

So the comparesant is completely "mute" here!!!!!!!

Chill,chill, grab the wheel....
Old 07-10-2011, 02:17 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by syrousd
I think we all agree that BMW cars are very complex machines. So now the real question is if you pack all this technology in a Toyota then what would be the result. In my mind it becomes a Lexus which has a very numb feel when you drive and you feel disconnected from the road "old mans car" I like to call it.

But Lexus caters to its audience and its demographics flawlessly and I commend their marketing strategy. I can never drive one I just love the way german sedans feel when you drive them and thats all.

So the comparesant is completely "mute" here!!!!!!!

Chill,chill, grab the wheel....
Toyotas offer more technology. BMW is more precisely engineered and built for a superior driving experience. I did test drive a lexus GS350 before getting my car, it was like driving a ship with its big ass steering wheel and feeling of floating down the street. boring. But the technology packed in that car blows the technology in my 535 away. I made the decision to sacrifice gadgets and reliability for a fun driving experience from a car that was built to be enjoyed. In retrospect, it was a mistake, but you live and learn.
Old 07-10-2011, 02:45 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by syrousd
My BMW tech commented once that if someone could build a BMW with Japanese electronics throughout it could be a nearly perfect car.
Old 07-10-2011, 03:31 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by ProMed
My BMW tech commented once that if someone could build a BMW with Japanese electronics throughout it could be a nearly perfect car.
That is a true statement.
Old 07-11-2011, 05:15 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550I M Sport, Premium pkg, Logic 7, Sport Automatic Trans, Paddle Shifters, Nav, Comfort Access, Rear Shades, Satellite, PDC

Originally Posted by craigm1841
This statement is retarded.

Four people died in ONE accident due to the "sticky accelerator" that Toyota recalled. Considering Toyota sells approximately 2 MILLION cars a year in the US, thats pretty good.

There have been 34 deaths since 2000 which are alleged to be caused by this problem, but it is not proven.

People... You are posting on the internet, the same medium can be used to do research... fucking do some.
Anything can be claimed as alleged until the entire appeals process is completed. However, when the owner of the company admits bad practices in his corporation that resulted in deaths, I'm convinced. It does not matter how many cars a company sells. When their products are so defective that consumers are killed, one death is too many. Also how many injuries are as a result of the defects?

Do your fucking research before spouting from the anal cavity.

Government Says 34 Deaths Due to Toyota Gas Pedal Problem
http://www.cnsnews.com/node/61369

Toyota deaths reported to safety database rise to 37
http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/...ota17_ST_N.htm

Another death because of a defect in a Toyota truck:
Did Toyota Wait Too Long to Recall U.S. Cars?
http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/Runawa...ry?id=10608093

Toyota: Software to blame for Prius brake problems
Toyota officials described the problem as a "disconnect" in the vehicle's complex anti-lock brake system (ABS) that causes less than a one-second lag. With the delay, a vehicle going 60 mph will have traveled nearly another 90 feet before the brakes begin to take hold.
http://articles.cnn.com/2010-02-04/w...id?_s=PM:WORLD
Old 07-11-2011, 09:09 AM
Contributors

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009%E2...ehicle_recalls
Old 07-11-2011, 10:09 AM
Contributors

lol, I just hate when those pesky facts get in the way of a good old-fashion media hysteria. Damn those floor mats.
Old 07-11-2011, 10:56 AM
Contributors

Ha- its a shame when wikipedia is a more regulated, unbiased source of information than our trusty news sources that just tell part of the story and jump on the bandwagon of popular belief. It really creates a society of mis-informed citizens that just repeat the rhetoric they hear on Fox, CNN, ABC, MSNBC, without researching information for themselves.

The sad thing here is, these accidents are many times driver error, and in the ONE PROVEN CASE, it was dealership error for putting the wrong floor mat in the car.

gotabyte- Sorry for getting on your case before, it actually isnt your fault that you dont know all the facts, you are only regurgitating what the media has fed you. In reality, it is a shame that you shouldn't be able to trust the media. I am not being sarcastic. There was a time where news articles didn't need to be taken with a grain of salt. Journalistic integrity is long gone, and the only people suffering are people like us. Thank god wikipedia exists, chock full of references to real studies, congressional findings, and relevant papers which enable those of us willing to take a few minutes to enlighten ourselves the ability to develop relevant, educated viewpoints on topics leading to the ability to convey the truth to those of us who are ill informed.

Quick Reply: Love my 550I