E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Lots of problems after jump-start

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 12:07 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Originally Posted by jehovden' post='804707' date='Mar 1 2009, 12:55 PM
Thank you all for good advices and suggestions.

After the jumpstart I actually drove for almost 3 hours (returning from a weekend trip) so the battery was charged during this. But everytime the car was started up it was the same issues.
Since it is sunday today I can not get hold of a new battery today. What I did though was to disconnect the battery for some minutes, thinking in an old fashion way that this might reset the car. And guess what? When I fired it up again everything was normal!! A great relief!!

Regarding the jump start I was actually really worried, because I was not sure of a proper procedure and step-by-step correct way to do it... We connected the helper car while this was running.... after a while a mechanic came by and said that actually could frie the brain of the car as it is receiving a pretty high amount of volts at the connection.... So after that I was worried.
I connected the cables to the dedicated point in engine room (+) and the (-) on one of the engine fixations.

I would however appreciate if somebody could tell me the correct procedure for jumpstarting these cars correctly, without risking damage.

Thanks all!!
well, glad you used the jump terminals in the engine...it is possible that connection the cables with car on could have fried something, but doubt it, BMW has safe guards too make sure that doesn't not happen AFAIK.

as far as how to jump start your car..its in your manual

not sure what year your e60 is...

http://www.e60.net/information/2006_..._Manual_US.pdf

pg 212 and 213, it's pretty much the same for any year tho...

I would still try and replace the battery, as that would be the easiest and cheapest fix, if it doens't work...off to the dealer perhaps...GL

gene
Old 03-01-2009, 12:47 PM
KAF
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: F11 535i M-Sport,, Silver, Black Leather, LED Adaptive headlights
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

Strange, have had to jump start mine twice in last 4 months, using + post in engine and nearby suspension bolt, not had any problems afterwards.
Old 03-01-2009, 01:35 PM
Members

I have the same problem for the last 2 months. Wipers would go crazy, doors wouldnt lock ect... after 4 aftermarket batteries we figured out (i hope) that you need to get the exact same specs as the oem battery. If i had to do it again, i would just go strait to the dealer and pay the extra $ for the battery knowing it was the correct specs. If you choose to get an aftermarket make sure every number lines up to the old one. GL

Oh, and after each jump all of my services said they were due on the idrive as well.
Old 03-01-2009, 02:31 PM
Contributors

sounds like a healthy normal BMW to me...

Originally Posted by jehovden' post='804564' date='Mar 1 2009, 11:32 AM
Hello,
I hopee somebody can help me with some tip here...
This morning when I was to start my car it seemed to be out of power. The display was blinking and acting crazy and there were not even enough power for the start engine to react at all.

I got some help from a guy with jump-starter cables, and after a few tries I got my car to start. But now it is acting very strange... Here is the list of faults (disocered so far...)

1. power steering is out
2. window wipers are running continously no matter what I do
3. In fact it seams like none of the controllers around the steering wheel is functioning (blinkers, high beams, cruice control)
4. Windows do not work (come down)
5. Error code on air bags, seat belt pre-tension etc.
6. the car does only lock on the back-doors from the remote

In addition the service indicator suddenly indicates time to go to service, even this should not be for another 20.000 km or so...

Can someone please tell me what is going on?
Can this happen due to power failure?
Or is the jump start the issue?

Some tips would be very appreciated!!