E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Looking for Thoughts on the Nav Package

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2005, 06:14 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by UUronL' date='Oct 30 2005, 07:34 PM
No force feedback=no haptics.
[snapback]191081[/snapback]
So does that mean cars w/out NAV have no haptics? I mean it does have a slight "click" to it...
Old 10-31-2005, 05:10 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' date='Oct 30 2005, 10:14 PM
[quote name='UUronL' date='Oct 30 2005, 07:34 PM']No force feedback=no haptics.
So does that mean cars w/out NAV have no haptics? I mean it does have a slight "click" to it...
[snapback]191105[/snapback]
[/quote]

I'm curious myself, but if any feedback can be actively dialed in, why not all? If I understand that slide deck I linked to in a previous post, I'm pretty sure it would require more than that to pass for haptics.

Just a musing... what if all these frustrated automotive journalists are fretting over the slow interface and nannying haptic proddings (both descriptions are sentiments found in other posts, they are not my own assertions) ? Wonder if any of them get non-Nav cars to test?
Old 10-31-2005, 06:39 AM
JDN
Contributors

Originally Posted by Robert A' date='Oct 26 2005, 09:32 PM
Why does the disk need to be updated (unless they're still building roads in your city)?
[snapback]189228[/snapback]
Which they always are . . .

I plan to stay updated every two years.
Old 10-31-2005, 04:46 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by UUronL' date='Oct 31 2005, 07:10 AM
[quote name='EBMCS03' date='Oct 30 2005, 10:14 PM'][quote name='UUronL' date='Oct 30 2005, 07:34 PM']No force feedback=no haptics.
[snapback]191105[/snapback]
[/quote]

I'm curious myself, but if any feedback can be actively dialed in, why not all? If I understand that slide deck I linked to in a previous post, I'm pretty sure it would require more than that to pass for haptics.

Just a musing... what if all these frustrated automotive journalists are fretting over the slow interface and nannying haptic proddings (both descriptions are sentiments found in other posts, they are not my own assertions) ? Wonder if any of them get non-Nav cars to test?
[snapback]191244[/snapback]
[/quote]

Ya I didnt understand why they didnt have "force feedback" on non-nav cars! That sucks.

Do you have NAV?
Old 10-31-2005, 06:41 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by Layer3switchguy' date='Oct 27 2005, 11:08 AM
You caught me! Yes I'm a geek...
[snapback]189473[/snapback]
Cool, that's what I figured when I posted this:

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=...ndpost&p=187475

(Bit of a geek myself...)
Old 10-31-2005, 06:42 PM
Members

Although I still like the Lexus Touch Screen NAV better, the BMW NAV still serves the same purpose and is accurate, just different interface. Just make sure to turn on & use the smaller side screen at the same time, so it gives you the full Navigation and turns details. I remember just using the large screen when I first used the NAV and it still worked, but I felt like I needed more info to make those turns, then I realized I needed to turn on the smaller screen to the right.
Old 10-31-2005, 06:53 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by bmwguynj' date='Oct 31 2005, 11:42 PM
Although I still like the Lexus Touch Screen NAV better, the BMW NAV still serves the same purpose and is accurate, just different interface.? Just make sure to turn on & use the smaller side screen at the same time, so it gives you the full Navigation and turns details.? I remember just using the large screen when I first used the NAV and it still worked, but I felt like I needed more info to make those turns, then I realized I needed to turn on the smaller screen to the right.
[snapback]191669[/snapback]
Or, if you have HUD, you can get the turn-by-turn information in the windshield.

Also, in my opinion, the touch screens become a pain. You need to look at the screen way more (and longer) in order to see where you're going to press a button. In addition, they get all smudgy and dirty from all the fingerprints.

With iDrive, you soon learn that a quick glance of the screen will allow you to "program" your brain as to what your hand needs to do with the knob to get the function you're looking for. In other words, I can glance to see where my "cursor" currently is and I can see what I need to do (like push up twice and turn clockwise two clicks) to get my next thing selected. While I'm doing this, I don't need to be looking at the screen.

Other benefits of iDrive over a touch screen are that the iDrive screen can be mounted further away (no need to physically touch it). With my eyes, I find it hard to focus quickly when I glance at a screen that's close. I never feel like my eyes are straining to se the iDrive screen but on my Honda, I have to move my head and my eyes to see the screen. Finally, the iDrive screen uses a technology (transreflective?) that doesn't wash out in direct sunlight. Just today, I was driving our Honda with the sunroof open and I literally could not see the touch screen to adjust the radio. That never happens on my E60...
Old 11-01-2005, 04:48 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2001 BMW330ci, Steel Gray, Black leather, Steptronic, PP, SP, PDC, Heated seats, Xenon head lights, HK, 6 disk changer, OEM alarm, OEM clears,Iice white fog lights ,Universal trasnciver, 17 inch Michelin Pilot Sport Tires 2005 530i Titanium Gray,Black leather, Nav.,HUD,PP,CWP,SP,PDC,Xenon lights,Steptronic,Logic 7 sound system,,Fold down read seats,Power shades ON ORDER

Originally Posted by bmwguynj' date='Oct 31 2005, 10:42 PM
Although I still like the Lexus Touch Screen NAV better, the BMW NAV still serves the same purpose and is accurate, just different interface.? Just make sure to turn on & use the smaller side screen at the same time, so it gives you the full Navigation and turns details.? I remember just using the large screen when I first used the NAV and it still worked, but I felt like I needed more info to make those turns, then I realized I needed to turn on the smaller screen to the right.
[snapback]191669[/snapback]
My son has 2 Lexus's with the touch Nav and after trying the Nav in my BMW he would rather have the one in my car.He says the Nav in the Lexus is a pain compared to the BMW.
cheers
vern
Old 11-01-2005, 05:17 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2002 BMW 530i 2005 BMW X3

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Oct 31 2005, 11:41 PM
[quote name='Layer3switchguy' date='Oct 27 2005, 11:08 AM']You caught me! Yes I'm a geek...
[snapback]189473[/snapback]
Cool, that's what I figured when I posted this:

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=...ndpost&p=187475

(Bit of a geek myself...)
[snapback]191668[/snapback]
[/quote]

Awesome! Saw your in Pittsburgh. Thats my second home... I'm there almost every week for business. Helped build my previous companies first layer 3 switch back in the late 90's, but have since moved to the dark side of marketing/sales.
Old 11-01-2005, 06:21 AM
Members

My Ride: 2010 550i M Sport Package - Alpine White/Blk Nasca Leather, Premium hi-fi system, Sat Radio, Nav, Cold Weather Package, Value Package, Shift Paddles, Comfort Access keyless entry, Power rear Sunshade, Front Ventilated seats, Split fold-down rear seats, Heated rear seats, Automatic high beams

On the + side Nav replaces your wife telling u where to go.

On the negative side it's still a woman telling where to go. :'(

Quick Reply: Looking for Thoughts on the Nav Package