E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Looking for Thoughts on the Nav Package

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2005, 12:20 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by Boxsterfeet' date='Oct 28 2005, 11:00 AM
I could really do with having the nearest Starbucks on the information screens - though the brand opf petrol station is very useful also.
[snapback]190025[/snapback]

Google SMS

Just text Starbucks <location> to 46645 (that's GOOGL) and it will pop up the listings to your mobile. I checked, it gives back hits for Starbucks in UK.

Try it out here: http://www.google.com/sms/demo.html

It's going to be hot when/if we ever get SMS integrated with the E60 systems.
Old 10-28-2005, 05:26 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530i, white/black manual, sports package, nav, PDC, etc.

Boxterfest: I use NAV all the time too, but I don't always have a route plotted in. In such a case it sounds like you're getting a digital speedo for $1k extra cost.

Originally Posted by Boxsterfeet' date='Oct 28 2005, 08:53 AM
In that situation then the HUD provides digital read out of speed, check control messages and cruise control information - be it standard cruise or adaptive. But I use nav all the time !
[snapback]190020[/snapback]
Old 10-29-2005, 02:25 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by UUronL' date='Oct 28 2005, 07:28 AM
[quote name='EBMCS03' date='Oct 27 2005, 07:15 PM']One more that isnt mentioned... force feed back wheel for iDrive.
[snapback]189304[/snapback]

I don't think this is accurate. The haptics of the iDrive system are an integral and key part of it. There can be no haptics without "force feedback". If you can offer some evidence to support your claim I would be happy to take a look, but this simply sounds false.
[snapback]189984[/snapback]
[/quote]

Huh? I dont think you know what I was referring to. I wasnt talking about how the iDrive takes input from the user.

What I was talking about was how the iDrive feels when turning at the end of the selection it wont let you turn anymore.

From what I know the NAV system iDrives will stop spinning when you reach the end of a selection list. Where the non-Nav systems will continue to just spin freely.

Like say theres 4 selections you can spin the iDrive knob 3 clicks going from #1 to #2 to #3 to #4 and then it wont let you spin the iDrive knob anymore if you force it it'll work but will feel very stiff.

On non-NAV systems you can continue to spin it freely and it will stay at #4 selection.

This was how it was with earlier builds...
Old 10-30-2005, 02:23 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Jet Black, Black Dakota, Sport Package with all the goodies, NAV, Satelite radio, comfort seats, Logic7, Cold weather, Dark wood trim, Delivered March 15, 2005
Exclamation

Originally Posted by Layer3switchguy' date='Oct 26 2005, 06:30 PM
Hi,

I would love to get user opinions on the NAV system for US based cars. How accurate is the system in major metro areas such as Philadelphia. How useful is the screen for showing maps, etc...

Thanks in advance!
L3
[snapback]189137[/snapback]
This is a great feature. I only ran into 1 problem so far. I input looking for a hotel in Laguna Beach, the Best Western and it kept wanting to send me to the Ritz Carlton. I liked the NAV's suggestion, but I liked the Best Western Prices better.
Old 10-30-2005, 03:04 AM
Members

My Ride: Nov.2005,545i Black Sapphire, Auburn interior,SMG,Sport Package,Rear spoiler,35% tinted windows,Sirrius Radio,Xenon lights,DINAN High Flow Intake,DINAN Thottle Body, DINAN Free Flow Exhaust,DINAN 19" wheels,DINAN flywheel,

It is very exact
HUD makes it even better
Ilive around lakes and it displays them all even those hidden ones
You should get it
Old 10-30-2005, 03:23 AM
Contributors

This my first car equiped with NAV, I must say I love it.
Sure I have no other unit to compare to, and others may be easier/better/what ever.

But I think it works great, I split screen with Arrows in the small screen this helps
with turns in a urban area as it give desending distantance to turn as well as street nameof turn above arrow.

The display is always visable do to placement and hood.
I love the larger iDrive screen.
But NAV does cause slow downs in iDrive applications like boot up and changes.

It was mentioned before, but getting off the main roads and letting the NAV re-program a more rural route is very nice on a ride home .

DR.Z

Check out EC,Brad P , Joe W and BW.
drzamps.com
Old 10-30-2005, 03:27 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' date='Oct 29 2005, 05:25 PM
[quote name='UUronL' date='Oct 28 2005, 07:28 AM'][quote name='EBMCS03' date='Oct 27 2005, 07:15 PM']One more that isnt mentioned... force feed back wheel for iDrive.
[snapback]189304[/snapback]

I don't think this is accurate. The haptics of the iDrive system are an integral and key part of it. There can be no haptics without "force feedback". If you can offer some evidence to support your claim I would be happy to take a look, but this simply sounds false.
[snapback]189984[/snapback]
[/quote]

Huh? I dont think you know what I was referring to. I wasnt talking about how the iDrive takes input from the user.

What I was talking about was how the iDrive feels when turning at the end of the selection it wont let you turn anymore.

From what I know the NAV system iDrives will stop spinning when you reach the end of a selection list. Where the non-Nav systems will continue to just spin freely.

Like say theres 4 selections you can spin the iDrive knob 3 clicks going from #1 to #2 to #3 to #4 and then it wont let you spin the iDrive knob anymore if you force it it'll work but will feel very stiff.

On non-NAV systems you can continue to spin it freely and it will stay at #4 selection.

This was how it was with earlier builds...
[snapback]190669[/snapback]
[/quote]

I understand you. I would point you to the countless iDrive articles that quote BMW developers and the importance they place on haptics. Haptics are by definition an interactive feedback system.

This pdf slideshow was produced by the company that provides the gear for iDrive:

http://www.wgrosso.com/Archives/Presentati...cs_June2004.pdf

All literature and reviews that I've seen of the iDrive system seem to indicate that haptics are a key and central component to the design. I would find it highly irregular for BMW to neglect to inplement the robotic feedback in a subset of a series.

I've never noticed the feedback, so maybe you're right - I just never thought about it - I guess I figured it was so well engineered that it was unobtrusive.
Old 10-30-2005, 04:23 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by UUronL' date='Oct 30 2005, 05:27 PM
I understand you.? I would point you to the countless iDrive articles that quote BMW developers and the importance they place on haptics.? Haptics are by definition an interactive feedback system.?

This pdf slideshow was produced by the company that provides the gear for iDrive:

http://www.wgrosso.com/Archives/Presentati...cs_June2004.pdf

All literature and reviews that I've seen of the iDrive system seem to indicate that haptics are a key and central component to the design.? I would find it highly irregular for BMW to neglect to inplement the robotic feedback in a subset of a series.?

I've never noticed the feedback, so maybe you're right - I just never thought about it - I guess I figured it was so well engineered that it was unobtrusive.
[snapback]191028[/snapback]
Yes I know Haptics are imprtant part of the iDrive... but what I'm getting at is theres another level of haptics for the NAV-Version of the iDrive. Do you have NAV? If not try one with nav and you'll see what I mean... or if you do try one w/out nav.
Old 10-30-2005, 04:29 PM
Contributors

Here are some descriptions of what I'm trying to get at and that its a bonus of having NAV.

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=...force++feedback

Old 10-30-2005, 05:34 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' date='Oct 30 2005, 08:29 PM

No force feedback=no haptics. I'll have to pay more attention, see if mine does any of the things outlined in these threads. I don't generally play around much, I just use it.

Quick Reply: Looking for Thoughts on the Nav Package