E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Long Strange Trip

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2004, 12:22 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60 530d Sport - Carbon Black, Black Dakota Leather, Media Pack (satnav, bluetooth, CD changer), heated font seats, through load

In making that statement, I AM MAKING A STATEMENT TO THOSE WHO WOULD DISPARAGE THE NAME OF MY BELOVED AND GREAT HOMELAND
Firstly let me say that most Americans that I have ever met have been very friendly people. So I would say that I'm "on your side".

I suspect that a large percentage of Americans will still not understand why 9/11 happened. Thinking about this in some detail, I am convinced it is the perception of America which is hated. And not the American people themselves. I believe that your passion for your country comes across as arrogance. And also the public image of USA is not helped by certain actions and stantements by certain people (in the public eye)

If only some of the USA-haters met some of the US people I've met. I'm sure thing would be different.

Be proud of your country, but also understand how the US is perceived, and why.
Old 12-15-2004, 12:34 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by BangleBox_530d' date='Dec 15 2004, 02:22 PM
In making that statement, I AM MAKING A STATEMENT TO THOSE WHO WOULD DISPARAGE THE NAME OF MY BELOVED AND GREAT HOMELAND
Firstly let me say that most Americans that I have ever met have been very friendly people. So I would say that I'm "on your side".

I suspect that a large percentage of Americans will still not understand why 9/11 happened. Thinking about this in some detail, I am convinced it is the perception of America which is hated. And not the American people themselves. I believe that your passion for your country comes across as arrogance. And also the public image of USA is not helped by certain actions and stantements by certain people (in the public eye)

If only some of the USA-haters met some of the US people I've met. I'm sure thing would be different.

Be proud of your country, but also understand how the US is perceived, and why.
[snapback]69439[/snapback]
Well said!
Old 12-15-2004, 01:15 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

I can't totally disagree w/ you BangleBox_530d, but I must say that your statement does come a bit close to the "but you deserved it" argument for the events of 9/11. That is something that I will never buy into!! Please enlighten us as to what that image is! Being arrogant (and I don't agree with that) does not in ANY WAY justify killing 3,00 people. Hell, if being arrogant were justification for murder, then the Brits and the French would have been real trouble a long time ago...

I'm afraid after reading your statement that I am then one of those "large percentage of Americans will still not understand why 9/11 happened" Please enlighten us.

Sorry for the ranting, but I just can't connect the dots between being seen as arrogant and the murder of 3,000 people.
Old 12-15-2004, 01:33 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

You wanna know why 9/11 happened?
Because some f*ckstick hiding in a cave somewhere in Afghanistan hates the USA. If he would hate Germany instead it would have happened here.
Old 12-15-2004, 01:40 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d Sport - Carbon Black, Black Dakota Leather, Media Pack (satnav, bluetooth, CD changer), heated font seats, through load

I must say that your statement does come a bit close to the "but you deserved it" argument for the events of 9/11
No I am not saying that at all. Don't read more into my comments please.

You are correct, NOTHING will make it right. And I can honestly say that I still wonder about the whole thing. Why such an extreme incident.

Perception and reality are quite different. That's what I'm saying. And it probably works both ways too.

Iceman - the problem is that it's not just one idiot. There are millions out there who are so motivated by "their perception", that they are willing to die.
Old 12-15-2004, 01:55 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by BangleBox_530d' date='Dec 15 2004, 04:40 PM
I must say that your statement does come a bit close to the "but you deserved it" argument for the events of 9/11
No I am not saying that at all. Don't read more into my comments please.

KC: Sorry if I understood, but your statement sure made it sound like you and the rest of the world understood why it happened, but we Americans just wouldn't get it.

You are correct, NOTHING will make it right. And I can honestly say that I still wonder about the whole thing. Why such an extreme incident.

KC: That's right, nothing will make it right. Why so extreme? To make their statement, which I think they did.

Perception and reality are quite different. That's what I'm saying. And it probably works both ways too.

KC: Believe me, having lived in the UK for almost three years as an adult and having traveled through Europe since I was a teen, this is absolutelty TRUE! But mostly I am continually amazed at how many Europeans, who have spent 3 weeks on holiday in Florida think they understand America. Unfortunately, we Americans are equally guilty of this!

Iceman - the problem is that it's not just one idiot. There are millions out there who are so motivated by "their perception", that they are willing to die.

Again, right on the mark, but as I'm afraid Europe is finding out on a smaller scale (re: the murder of Theo van Gogh), it is just not an America against the world (or more specifically Islam) thing anymore. The radical fundamentalists of Islam are making this into a Christianity vs. Islam thing, or frankly an Islam vs. anybody who disagrees with us thing. Welcome aboard!

[snapback]69465[/snapback]
See my responses above. Now, my apologies to niktee for hijacking his thread. Hang in there, you are very close. You can almost smell the leather...
Old 12-15-2004, 03:54 PM
Senior Members

This is a weird thread.
Old 12-16-2004, 09:25 PM
Contributors

How did you get the ship's name and its schedule?

My car arrived at the port 12/07/2004 and as best as I and the dealer can tell it's still there.

Originally Posted by niktee' date='Dec 15 2004, 01:09 PM
Well, as best as I can detect, my car(built 12/7) left Bremerhaven on 12/15, on a ship named "EMDEN", part of K-LINE.? It stops at Southhampton, then Baltimore, and ends the journey in Charleston, S.C. on Jan. 1, where the car gets off.? I'm told by BMW NA that the South Carolina VPC is by far their largest.? Is this true?, and who out there has? had their car processed there?? I assumed the car would go to Jersey for VPC, but I guess not.? It'll probably be a mess what with the holiday back-up at the VPC, as well as the car not being unloaded probably until the 3rd.? Oh well, rambled on too long....the wait continues....see ya.
[snapback]69396[/snapback]
Old 12-17-2004, 12:06 AM
Contributors

Location: Proud citizen of THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA and MORGANTOWN, W.V.
My Ride: '05 530i, Premium, Steptronic, Logic7, Silver grey-black leather. Build date 12/7/04.

Originally Posted by ///M Rakete' date='Dec 17 2004, 01:25 AM
How did you get the ship's name and its schedule?

My car arrived at the port 12/07/2004 and as best as I and the dealer can tell it's still there.

[quote name='niktee' date='Dec 15 2004, 01:09 PM']Well, as best as I can detect, my car(built 12/7) left Bremerhaven on 12/15, on a ship named "EMDEN", part of K-LINE.? It stops at Southhampton, then Baltimore, and ends the journey in Charleston, S.C. on Jan. 1, where the car gets off.? I'm told by BMW NA that the South Carolina VPC is by far their largest.? Is this true?, and who out there has? had their car processed there?? I assumed the car would go to Jersey for VPC, but I guess not.? It'll probably be a mess what with the holiday back-up at the VPC, as well as the car not being unloaded probably until the 3rd.? Oh well, rambled on too long....the wait continues....see ya.
[snapback]69396[/snapback]
[snapback]69869[/snapback]
[/quote]
My dealer called with the name of the ship and shipping company. I started to research the ship and the company. the shipper's web site will have toll free numbers which help, plus each port usually has a site with arrival/departure info. It's actually kind of fun. It also helps to have a job that lets you play "BMW" while appearing to be working. One more thing...the dealer won"t be a lot of help. You can determine more on your own.