E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Logic 7

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 07:54 AM
e6t
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Argent60' post='902465' date='Jun 6 2009, 06:01 AM
I'm always surprised when I hear that an "audiophile" is impressed with the Logic 7. With all due respect to those who are, I find the system average at best. Mid-bass is ok, but it loosens and drops off sharply as you down. Midrange is closed in, and the highs could be a lot smoother and more open.
In contrast, I spend the same amount as the Logic 7 option($1200) on an aftermarket system for my daily driver. That amount got me a nice amp, replacement of 4 of the 6 OEM speakers, and a 10" sub with box. It's far from the top of the line, but I can honestly say it sounds better in every possible way. I wish everyone here could listen.
Now, I'm not in the car industry, but shouldn't BMW be able to offer much better components for the same amount since they buy in bulk?
I do agree that it's better than the basic stock system in the car. But if I were to do it all again, I'd go straight to an aftermarket system. It's a much better use of money.
the system is impressive for a factory stereo.

great car audio doesnt sound as good as a great home system... i have all b&w speakers in my home's main theater including nautilus series speakers for the lcr and all surrounds and two 15", 1000 watt subs. clearly, the system and the "subs" in the 5 aren't going to touch that. considering that the system in the bmw is invisible, it is impressive.

you have to understand that part of the genius of the system in the car is the fact that it doesnt protrude into the trunk or the interior of the car. there is no alternator whine. there is no noise in the system at all... also impressive.

many have said is is subjective and that's true... but short of gutting the car, having the entire thing dynamatted and having (at a minimum) a cubic foot of the already small trunk eaten with a heavy sub box, the logic7 is a very good factory car stereo.

not only is sound qulaity subjective, its relative. relative to most every other car on the road that has a factory stereo, the logic7 sounds good. i have two cars in my garage that have stereos that smoke anything that a car manufacturer could produce, BUT i also have many, many hours and many thousands of dollars in the design and installation. hell, the cabling alone in one of my cars cost more than the logic7 system in my 5. the point? the logic7 offers good bang for the buck in a clean package that is covered in full by the factory warranty and it is one of the best out there.
Old 06-06-2009, 10:03 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now an audiophile speaks!

Audiophiles don't want an audio system sounds good. All they're after is how accurate the music instrument sound and vocal reproduced relatives to real life. A couple of thousands for a sound system is considered a low-end system for audiophiles.

A mid-fi preamp and an amp alone (i.e. Krell Evolution 202 preamp and Krell 402 - forget about Krell Evolution One) already cost $30K. Let alone adding speakers (i.e. Wilson, Magico, Kharma, name a few) which is in the range of $$$$$, and adding a Wadia CD players and a DAC. The whole system would cost more than a brand new 550i. That's the mid-fi. Forget about real hi-fi

L7 is good in terms of accuracy of sound reproduction, but it might not sound "good" to many ears which expects more bass, etc.

I listened to LS460 Mark Levinson system and disappointed big time (my personal opinion) at the time I was thinking about purchasing one earlier this year. The sound was muddy and the vocal was not clear. Anyway that's just my personal opinion.

Anyway sound, food, smell, look and feel etc. are very subjective.