E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A little more detail on Passenger Restraint issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 01:31 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545 modded the F out

Hey folks,

First off, I?m starting this new thread because I?ve done a ton of research regarding this issue, but found no specific leads or conclusions so hopefully I can get some concrete data for those in the future.

With that said, I finally was a victim of the passenger restraint error that showed up through the iDrive screen and the gauge cluster. I was pretty familiar with the issue since it's a topic that has been beat to death, but never really resolved for the owners who somehow got left out of the recall list.

So here's the meat and potatoes without having to put down the whole recall and Service Information Bulletin (SI---.(I'll attach that stuff at the end)

There's a sensor placed within your passenger's seat mat that cracks over time regardless of the frequency you have someone sit there. That is what causes the error to occur. The recall letter does not specify the build date, nor does it give any clear-cut criteria, which allows owners to determine whether or not they fall in this category. All the recall letter indicates is that that "BMW has decided that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists in certain model year 2004-2006 5 series vehicles. The SIB does not specify much either, however, it does state that "improved mats were introduced into the vehicles no earlier than 2005 November 7."

Furthermore, the SIB and recall clearly states that it effects nearly ALL models produced within the time frame of 2004-2006, yet the Campaign no. issued by BMW only identified only 200,000 vehicles which have this problem. I think it's safe to say that more than 200,000 vehicles were produced between those years, but I could be wrong.

I own a 2004 545 built in May of 2004.

Surprisingly, when I spoke with both the dealership and BMW of North American they both said my specific vehicle was determined to not be one of these vehicles effected by the recall. I was at a loss for words so I had asked them both what was the exact criteria specification used to determine which VINS are effected beside what is stated in the recall and SIB. Both documents cover year, build date, and modelof the vehicle. Both the SA and the BMW of NA rep were unsure of the answers. They weren't beating around the bush, but they were simply reiterating to me what they were told and that if my car is effected then BMW of NA will send me a notice.

The BMW of NA rep did however advise that if in fact my vehicle was left out of the recall the only way to properly identifyit is by contacting the National Highway and Traffic Association (NHTSA). They are the ones who specifically deal with recalls and from there a judge issues a court order to the vehicle manufacturers for the defect to be corrected.

I went ahead and called a rep at NHTSA and he gave me a claim number. I'm not sure if the BMW owners who are going or went through this same issue contacted them, but it doesn't hurt to try. I'm sure this is one way to get the issue resolved. It may take some time, but at least there's forward progress.

The last and final bit of research I found is that there is a serial number on the sensor within the mat that will identify its production date. It is to my understanding that the only way to get it is by taking the mat apart so I said screw it and took the gamble of bringing my car in.

I dropped my car off an hour ago at the stealership in order to run a quick diagnostic so they can see for themselves that the car meets all criteria to be covered under the recall. Worse case scenario is they will say the sensor is not one of the faulty ones and I?m out the money for the diagnostic. If it is the reason for the error than my SA over at BMW said all expenses will be covered and the sensor will be replaced. In addition, the parts will be covered for an additional 10 years just as the SIB and recall states for the parts replaced.

I?ll be back to update this post as soon as I get word from the dealership. Sorry for thelengthiness, but it?s a really sticky situation I?m in. I?ve attached a recall letter I pulled from Bimmerforums as well as the SIB?s old and new.

[attachment=153492:Untitled 2.png][attachment=153492:Untitled 2.png]SIB 65 75 06.pdfINSL-PE07045-26636.pdf
Attached Thumbnails A little more detail on Passenger Restraint issue-recall-letter.png  
Old 04-20-2011, 01:58 PM
Senior Members

very good post and very informative thanks so much for this devildawg appreciate it!
Old 04-20-2011, 02:04 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d MSport Auto, 19" 172 Spiders on ContiSports 2's, Pro Nav, Adaptive Xenons, Bruce M's V6 Rear LCI Cables/Lights, Number plate LED

When I had the Restraint Problem, the stealerships refused to cover this. Even though I made them aware of a recall in the States, they told me that the States and the UK have different modus operandi. I understand this, but it seems that BMW UK customers do not get the same level of peace of mind and willingness for BMW to recall parts as our friends over the pond have. I had to purchase a new mat sensor and have them fit it.

Shouldn't grumble; could be worse - could be driving an Audi! O, the cheek Mr. Percy!
Old 04-21-2011, 10:35 AM
Senior Members

just a quick update

Good news is that the dealership ended up taking care of everything, but the bad news is that this thread ended up being like all the other threads, which had no really definite conclusion to specific cases like this.

However, I still did contact the National Highway and Traffic Organization as well as the Superior Court, who they work directly with in regards to the matter. I have an open file and hopefully they don't drag their feet too long in order to get to some sort of decision as how to handle this.

It really sucks that something as blatantly obvious as this has to be an argumentative issue, but I guess the moral of the story is to stand your ground when dealing with BMW at all levels. Just as long as you don't step on any toes you should be taken care of on a case to case basis.

Again,

I'll be back sometime in the future to let you guys know what happens legally in the matter.

JR
Old 04-21-2011, 11:12 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

So all sorted, and part replaced no problem. How long did the process take? I guess I will take my car in soon as well.
Old 04-21-2011, 11:33 AM
Senior Members

Dropped it off yesterday afternoon and got a call this morning @ 10AM. I'm sure if I dropped it off first thing in the morning they would have had it back by COB
Old 04-21-2011, 01:35 PM
Members

I heard that the recall is not valid in canada either, man i hope mine doesnt end up breaking..
Old 04-21-2011, 06:39 PM
Members

Another note on this topic...
Some members have been experiencing this malfunction, and when the diagnostics are run it shows sensors are bad behind the front bumper.

Just remember, its not always your seat mat.