E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Let's just say I was in a hurry....

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 09:36 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i Sport Package Limo Tinted, Heads up display, Fully Loaded Minus Cold Weather Package and Rear window Sunshades.

Originally Posted by jrbmwenthusiast' post='882672' date='May 18 2009, 07:14 PM
Wake up my e60.net brothers...Wake up!

Don?t you know that at 149 mph, your car is moving faster than your ability to safely react to anything you can see with your headlights!!! Michael Shumacher couldn?t avoid an obstacle on the road under those conditions.

I don't know about you... But this kid seems to have no problem...

I would like to add I do not know who this is. I do not condone driving like this under any circumstances... This is insanely out of control. And whenever I do high speed runs there is no traffic or any cars on the road except for maybe the everyday semitruck driver on the far right. I am constantly looking out for any obstacles up ahead to my left or to my right, and I drive in a matter where I always feel comfortable and safe.

Craig has a very very valid point about young kids in crappy cars. and it is more than the truth, and most of the time they have to find out the hard way just how unsafe they really are and most don't live to learn from it.

If I could give anyone advice who are driving enthusiasts, keep your DSC on until you know how to safety control your BMW when the tires have no traction. Take an advanced driving school if you have to, and learn how to efficiently corner your car in a turn with DSC off. It will be the most valuable lesson to anyone out there if for any reason something may happen such as a blown tire. Everyone should know what it feels like to be in full control of your cars traction.

These are all things these kids driving in these crappy cars don't have the luxury of having, Advanced Dynamic Stability Control. Things we do in our BMW's without skill, we know we cannot do in many other cars.
Old 05-18-2009, 10:09 PM
Contributors

My Ride: e36 318i manual convertible top, 5 speed manual, calypso red/black soft top, cassette am/fm radio, heated sand leatherette seats, michelin mxv4 allseason tires (100% stock) e60 545i sport package, 6 speed manual, sapphire black, 18" 124 wheels bridgestone runflats (summer) 17" rial salerno dunlop runflats (winter) navigation, satelite radio, winter package, PDC, sunshades, wood trim, dakota leather seats (100% stock)

Originally Posted by Jrowe' post='882815' date='May 19 2009, 12:36 AM
I don't know about you... But this kid seems to have no problem...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0ofNmqa-Ek

I would like to add I do not know who this is. I do not condone driving like this under any circumstances... This is insanely out of control. And whenever I do high speed runs there is no traffic or any cars on the road except for maybe the everyday semitruck driver on the far right. I am constantly looking out for any obstacles up ahead to my left or to my right, and I drive in a matter where I always feel comfortable and safe.

Craig has a very very valid point about young kids in crappy cars. and it is more than the truth, and most of the time they have to find out the hard way just how unsafe they really are and most don't live to learn from it.

If I could give anyone advice who are driving enthusiasts, keep your DSC on until you know how to safety control your BMW when the tires have no traction. Take an advanced driving school if you have to, and learn how to efficiently corner your car in a turn with DSC off. It will be the most valuable lesson to anyone out there if for any reason something may happen such as a blown tire. Everyone should know what it feels like to be in full control of your cars traction.

These are all things these kids driving in these crappy cars don't have the luxury of having, Advanced Dynamic Stability Control. Things we do in our BMW's without skill, we know we cannot do in many other cars.
I think you're missing the point. Your BMW is not in Gemany anymore. There is no German Autobahn traffic authority monitoring the road and clearing it for debris. The material composition and design of the American highway is far different. There are only specific sections of the autobahn where cars are allowed to drive at those speeds. It isn't safe to drive your BMW on an American designed public road at speeds in excess of 100 mph at night when the average American driver ahead of you can't judge how fast you are approaching them and can't imagine that anyone would be so stupid as to be driving that fast anyway. A little old lady may enter the roadway or turn right into your path and cause you to run off the road at 130 mph. Result: near certain death. Simply put, it is per se reckless to drive at that speed. At 130 mph, what you can't see or didn't expect will kill you.
Old 05-19-2009, 11:21 AM
Members

Originally Posted by jrbmwenthusiast' post='882830' date='May 19 2009, 02:09 AM
I think you're missing the point. Your BMW is not in Gemany anymore. There is no German Autobahn traffic authority monitoring the road and clearing it for debris. The material composition and design of the American highway is far different. There are only specific sections of the autobahn where cars are allowed to drive at those speeds. It isn't safe to drive your BMW on an American designed public road at speeds in excess of 100 mph at night when the average American driver ahead of you can't judge how fast you are approaching them and can't imagine that anyone would be so stupid as to be driving that fast anyway. A little old lady may enter the roadway or turn right into your path and cause you to run off the road at 130 mph. Result: near certain death. Simply put, it is per se reckless to drive at that speed. At 130 mph, what you can't see or didn't expect will kill you.
Not to mention that if a cop catches you going 135, you are in deep trouble. AND RIGHTLY SO!!!
Old 05-19-2009, 11:38 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW 535xi
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by flyingpuck' post='882049' date='May 18 2009, 01:35 PM
I do 130 on my driveway!
and me in my Garage!
Old 05-19-2009, 11:39 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: M5
Model Year: 2013
Engine: S63
Cool

fastest I've gone is 148 MPH, I took a pic but it was way too blurry.
Old 05-19-2009, 01:28 PM
Contributors

My Ride: '05 545 Titanium Silver, Black Leather - Nav, Logic 7, Cold weather. Mods: Carbon filter removed. M5 iDrive knob. Umnitza license plate LEDs. MP3 40% 3M tint ACS Anti-Roll(sway) bars RPI Scoop G-tech Pro RR CF Roundels CF Wheel caps

Just throwing this in to the discussion after looking at the DOTs fatalities website http://www-fars.nhtsa.dot.gov/Main/index.aspx

These are fatalities for passenger car drivers for 2007 in the US

Age.........Fatalities
< 5..............201
5 -- 9...........152
10 -- 15........393
16 -- 20......3010
21 -- 24......2199
25 -- 34......2655
35 -- 44......1865
45 -- 54......1705
55 -- 64......1316
65 -- 74......1083
> 74...........1914
Unknown.....27
Total...........16520
Old 05-19-2009, 01:34 PM
Senior Members

hit anything at that speed and you'll be crying (assuming you're still alive, about why did I do that, it was so stupid. There was another douche on here a month or so back that did the same thing in AZ at night with a sleeping passanger. My moto, don't ever be in a position to say I wish I didn't do that.....just don't do it! Really kind of childish IMHO.
Old 05-19-2009, 01:38 PM
Contributors

130+.......sweeeet.....
Old 05-19-2009, 02:17 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 (07/03) 530i, Mystic Blue Metallic, Beige Leather, Premium Package, Sports Package, Steptronic, Adaptive Xenons, euro red reflectors, K/N air filter, Falken 452's

Originally Posted by mag75' post='883433' date='May 19 2009, 04:42 PM
I agree. There is a time and place to speed. 8am on a Sunday morning with zero cars on the road. Dont see anything wrong with that. Otherwise I would drive a dodge stratus.

Yes, but this is also a popular time for speed traps...... I think they're onto us....
Old 05-19-2009, 02:20 PM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

I was going 80 one night on a road that I new with NO ONE else on the road.........except a cop.

Can you believe that? I am trying to speed responsibly (Excuse my while I put on my flamesuit) and then one car on the road is a cop.
Oh well, lesson learned