E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

LCI 535d M Sport

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 02:23 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TC.' post='407661' date='Mar 27 2007, 08:58 PM
Brief update...
Wot no statement about the new zippy,k enhanced, improved, zero force-feedback iDrive controller?

That impressive, huh?

ABC
Old 03-27-2007, 10:49 PM
TC.
Members

My Ride: 535d m sport - 9 Weeks to go!!

Originally Posted by aybeesea' post='407714' date='Mar 27 2007, 11:23 PM
Wot no statement about the new zippy,k enhanced, improved, zero force-feedback iDrive controller?

That impressive, huh?

ABC
We need someone who has traded out of a 5 series to make that judgement I think......all I can say is that the common feedback that iDrive is over complicated is a load of tosh - it is just another UI in a world of UI's and in fact it is very intuitive. From a performance point of view, it is quick, clear and well laid out - have not used the 8 quick selection buttons as yet......they are almost counter intuative, I think they are a case of BMW bowing incorrectly to media pressure. The sound bite that everyone holds is Jeremy Clarksons quote of iDistract, iCrash & iDie.........he is a self confessed Technofobe! BMW should ignore the press and forge ahead with the concept. I am a typical man, I laugh in the face of instruction manuals and because of this i spent a day trying to figure out how to turn off the nearside mirror kerb function when putting the car into reverse only to find out that you needed to switch the mirror position switch the other way! (i was expecting it to be in iDrive!!)
Old 03-27-2007, 10:52 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by TC.' post='407862' date='Mar 28 2007, 07:49 AM
...I laugh in the face of instruction manuals and because of this i spent a day trying to figure out how to turn off the nearside mirror kerb function when putting the car into reverse..
Only a day? You beat me.

ABC
Old 03-28-2007, 12:58 AM
Members

My Ride: '05 530D Sport Auto plus bits.

Originally Posted by TC.' post='407862' date='Mar 28 2007, 07:49 AM
We need someone who has traded out of a 5 series to make that judgement I think......all I can say is that the common feedback that iDrive is over complicated is a load of tosh - it is just another UI in a world of UI's and in fact it is very intuitive. From a performance point of view, it is quick, clear and well laid out - have not used the 8 quick selection buttons as yet......they are almost counter intuative, I think they are a case of BMW bowing incorrectly to media pressure. The sound bite that everyone holds is Jeremy Clarksons quote of iDistract, iCrash & iDie.........he is a self confessed Technofobe! BMW should ignore the press and forge ahead with the concept. I am a typical man, I laugh in the face of instruction manuals and because of this i spent a day trying to figure out how to turn off the nearside mirror kerb function when putting the car into reverse only to find out that you needed to switch the mirror position switch the other way! (i was expecting it to be in iDrive!!)
I'm happy that the feedback function has been removed. When you are scrolling through a long list of items such as the TMC messages, you dont actually spin the controller but hold it against the resistance which sometimes leaves the cursor jumping all over the place. The only good thing is when flipping between tracks on a CD it provides a stiffer resistance when you hit the last track.

I had a loaner once which didn't have Pro Nav and as such didn't have the feedback controller. I didn't like it at first but once I realised the failings of the feedback mechanism I knew I wouldnt have a problem losing it in the new model.

On another note I had a Jag with the large touch screen nav which worked perfectly. Definetly a format/UI I would have expected more manufacturers to adopt. As for MB they have just thrown buttons at the console ......

BTW how are you getting on with the voice control?

Fatlab
Old 03-28-2007, 01:06 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Fatlab' post='407890' date='Mar 28 2007, 09:58 AM
When you are scrolling through a long list of items such as the TMC messages
How is the TMC list ordered and where does it start (initial screen)?

ABC
Old 03-28-2007, 02:24 AM
Contributors

Pardon me if i did not remember correctly. For LCI, the angel eyes are now actual DRL?
Especially the inner ones....it looks really bright!
Old 03-28-2007, 03:50 AM
Members

Originally Posted by aybeesea' post='407892' date='Mar 28 2007, 10:06 AM
How is the TMC list ordered and where does it start (initial screen)?

ABC
It would be nice if the TMC list could be filtered to show the items on your nav planned root.

Fatlab
Old 03-28-2007, 03:56 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Fatlab' post='407909
The TMC function has become much better, now the on-route messages are displayed at the beginning of the list
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?s=&sho...st&p=407891

ABC
Old 03-28-2007, 04:54 AM
Members

Cool

Fatlab
Old 03-28-2007, 09:29 AM
TC.
Members

My Ride: 535d m sport - 9 Weeks to go!!

Originally Posted by Fatlab' post='407890' date='Mar 28 2007, 09:58 AM
I'm happy that the feedback function has been removed. When you are scrolling through a long list of items such as the TMC messages, you dont actually spin the controller but hold it against the resistance which sometimes leaves the cursor jumping all over the place. The only good thing is when flipping between tracks on a CD it provides a stiffer resistance when you hit the last track.

I had a loaner once which didn't have Pro Nav and as such didn't have the feedback controller. I didn't like it at first but once I realised the failings of the feedback mechanism I knew I wouldnt have a problem losing it in the new model.

On another note I had a Jag with the large touch screen nav which worked perfectly. Definetly a format/UI I would have expected more manufacturers to adopt. As for MB they have just thrown buttons at the console ......

BTW how are you getting on with the voice control?

Fatlab
Not even started with voice control yet!! Will get on that at the weekend, off to take the new toy to the father in-law's - he is an absolute car fanatic and has a 20 year old 325i.......so will be plenty of play time. Will post up findings....

Quick Reply: LCI 535d M Sport