E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Launch Control - see also "Entertainment"

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2005, 10:20 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Gotta admit: for cheap thrills, it is fun to let the car loose in a straight line using the launch control. Rather like a brief roller-coaster ride, in terms of cheap thrills.

It's so much fun that I think it should be listed as a feature in iDrive, under "Entertainment"

Speaking of cheap: I wonder what are the real effects, in terms of wear and tear? I recall that there is a counter in the system to record your, um, usage of this feature. I wonder if my warranty gets voided if I exceed some counter value?!

Robert
Old 07-22-2005, 10:41 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

You got SMG in your E63?
Old 07-22-2005, 10:50 PM
Members

My Ride: Tuned Subaru Impreza Sti 4 (320+bhp, Leda Suspension, AP Racing brakes etc....) Before that: 2001 Le mans blue M5 Before that: 1999 Cosmos black B10 3.3

Originally Posted by rduncan' date='Jul 23 2005, 06:20 AM
Speaking of cheap: I wonder what are the real effects, in terms of wear and tear? I recall that there is a counter in the system to record your, um, usage of this feature. I wonder if my warranty gets voided if I exceed some counter value?!

[snapback]152115[/snapback]

Certainly has been a well reported downside - they give you the ability then punish you for using it !

Seems crazy - if its so bad for the car / warranty - why have it on the car ?

Sounds like you'll be able to confirm whether its true though
Old 07-22-2005, 10:53 PM
Members

My Ride: 535d Sport Tourer - E34 M5 Race Car

Originally Posted by rduncan' date='Jul 23 2005, 07:20 AM

? Robert
[snapback]152115[/snapback]
If the system is similar to that in my CSL - LC does put a fair bit of strain on the car, you'll find that if you try to do too many in quick succession, the SMG light will appear and the gearbox will refuse to play ball until it cools down a bit. Clutch & SMG actuator take the brunt of it. Here in UK there is no hard & fast limit on usage, but they will look for signs of abuse and react accordingly in the event of a claim.
Old 07-23-2005, 02:23 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

I believe that what you are talking here about is to push the break and the gas pedal at the same time and than quickly release the break and the car will boost , correct?

Does any E60 with steptronic or SMG hgas this feature? I believe so, yet did not try on mine because I get this feeling that it is not very good for the car
Old 07-23-2005, 06:54 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Launch control (or Acceleration Assistant as it's called in the manual) is only on SMG cars and has nothing to do with holding the brake.

It's a special software program that optimizes acceleration from a standstill by allowing the RPM's to increase before letting the clutch out rapidly. The program continues to maximize revs before each shift...
Old 07-23-2005, 08:00 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '06 530i -6speed - Comfort Seats - Premium Package - Premium Sound Package - Cold Weather Package - Ventilated Seats - Xenon -HUD - PDC - Nav

Rudy ... you have me all excited ... now i was to stop by the dealer & test it oout on an M3 .... how exactly do you enter Launch Control? heheheh ... this could make for some fun passtime today.
Old 07-23-2005, 10:01 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

The procedure for launching the SMG M3 is different from that of the SMG E60 (actually, I seem to remember that the first SMG M3's didn't have launch control activated -- I don't know if they ever activated it in future years or software versions.) BTW, I think the M3 and E60 M5 processes are the same.

The process for the E60 is out there on this site somewhere (no time right now for me to find it) and the M3 process is a little foggy for me but you have to use the most agressive drivelogic program (which means you need to turn off DSC) then hold the shifter forward (or is it backward?) as you floor the gas pedal. As soon as you release the shifter, you're gone! Just keep the pedal mashed to the floor as it moves through the gears...
Old 07-23-2005, 11:42 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '06 530i -6speed - Comfort Seats - Premium Package - Premium Sound Package - Cold Weather Package - Ventilated Seats - Xenon -HUD - PDC - Nav

nice. i'll have to ask the dealer for an "alone" test drive ... lol
Old 07-23-2005, 12:31 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by wiszmaster' date='Jul 23 2005, 12:42 PM
nice. i'll have to ask the dealer for an "alone" test drive ... lol
[snapback]152244[/snapback]
Oh man remind me to NOT buy a M3 from your dealer! or ANY ///M for that matter if they let customers take it out for a "spin" like that... "spinning tires"!

Oh and its holding the M3 gear shift UP... as in holding it in the downshift position... I think... dont quote me... but I think u can use the left paddle shifter also.

Quick Reply: Launch Control - see also "Entertainment"