E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Kinda boring around here lately

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 02:44 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 04 525i- Cold weather package, OEM 128's 20"

Dude I feel your pain. I get the same feeling about my E60, I find myself walking into the garage and noticing 5 more blemishes that only God knows where they came from making me more and more hesitant to drive her each time. I too notice the coffee spills and wear and tear in places that I wish weren't there :thumbsdown: . But when it comes down to it its your car and you can feel about it however you want, whether you want to obsessively compulsively take car of her, or maintain her enough to be another pretty BMW on the road its up to you. I just hope when you finally do trade her in for a "new bitch" you can say "Man I loved that E60 I drove the crap out of her and am ready to let go " rather than have regret about not laying into her enough.

BTW- when the forum gets slow and you have spare time work on your body as much as you would your cars, you'll come out on the other side of winter looking and feelling like a new man. Then you'll definitely find a "new bitch" to lay into (if you know what I mean hehe)
My 2cents out
Old 09-27-2010, 04:44 AM
Contributors

This is so silly. You dont drive your car unless its pristine weather outside??? Dumbest thing Ive ever heard. The BMW engineers bust their asses to give you a car that operates impeccably in the most extreme weather conditions but for some reason, YOU dont drive it in the rain. why not? wipers broken? Not putting miles on your BMW is like not having sex with your Girl Friend so she'll be more desirable to her next Boy Friend. Seems ridiculous, no?
Old 09-27-2010, 05:39 AM
Members

Originally Posted by CWS530
It's great to that Diamond is back and not missing an opportunity to be a dick.
Old 09-27-2010, 05:55 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2012 535i xdrive M-Sport Dark Graphite II 2004 545i Black Sapphire Metallic-Retired 2001 525i Titanium Silver Metallic-Retired1994 325ic Convertible Boston Green-Retired 1985 325es Dolphin Grey-Retired

Originally Posted by poleposition
This is so silly. You dont drive your car unless its pristine weather outside??? Dumbest thing Ive ever heard. The BMW engineers bust their asses to give you a car that operates impeccably in the most extreme weather conditions but for some reason, YOU dont drive it in the rain. why not? wipers broken? Not putting miles on your BMW is like not having sex with your Girl Friend so she'll be more desirable to her next Boy Friend. Seems ridiculous, no?
I'm going to have to agree with polepositon on this one. This is "The Ultimate Driving Machine" no? I can't see not driving my car every chance I get. Yes, there are times when I take the wife's car but I would say 95% of the time the Bimmer is driven. 120,000miles and counting The stares, thumbs up, and the constatnt "That's a 2004? Looks like a new car" Take care of your car and it will take care of you. Drive it like you stole it

(Can't wait for the ride home from work today..lol)
Old 09-27-2010, 06:09 AM
Contributors

My Ride: SOLD...Jet Black 2008 550i M Sport with SAT, black interior. RPI exhaust and air scoop, 35% huper optik tint all around, CF roundels, flat black kidneys, Springfield Armory XD-40 jet black in glove box, charcoal filter removed.

Originally Posted by poleposition
Seems ridiculous, no?

Your response, yes.
Old 09-27-2010, 10:01 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2010 550i jet black, Loaded
Model Year: 2010
Engine: N62B48

After 3 years of "honeymoon", total 50000 miles added, I started to realise I need to take care of my car, meaning less driving to prolong the life of the engine, less hard driving to reduce stress on suspensions, new carpet, leather cleaing.... My fun with the car is still there, but I believe if I change my driving habbit, I might get couple more years out of the car, since I'm planning to keep it forever Most likely there will be another DD, so I can really keep the E60 in great condition.
Old 09-27-2010, 11:00 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by bha7176
really not to be argumentative (we've all been down that road on here lately), but just my view - your last paragraph above is exactly the reason I like to keep my car in the best shape possible. When / if i decide to sell or trade it in, i want it to be in the best condition possible for the highest value (there's always a high and a low number on value, right?). If i decide i want to keep it for the long haul and never get rid of it, i want it to last in the best condition possible for the longest time possible.

That's all I'm saying.
no you're right, but my problems were not things that happened from neglect, just common wear and tear things that happen to a 10 year old (american made) car. i was just pointing out that in 5 years or so if your bimmer starts causing problems that you have little control over and have little patience to deal with, you might not want to deal with the hassle. washing it every week and vacuuming the carpet every 2 weeks and making sure the oil is full every month isn't going to prevent the more intense wearing that takes place with any vehicle.
Old 09-27-2010, 11:05 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by peter griffin
After 3 years of "honeymoon", total 50000 miles added, I started to realise I need to take care of my car, meaning less driving to prolong the life of the engine, less hard driving to reduce stress on suspensions, new carpet, leather cleaing.... My fun with the car is still there, but I believe if I change my driving habbit, I might get couple more years out of the car, since I'm planning to keep it forever Most likely there will be another DD, so I can really keep the E60 in great condition.
my camaro had 82k miles on it after 10 years. i thought "oh if i don't drive it, it will last longer," but that was kind of silly. granted it's an american made car, but time alone will destroy things on cars. metal eroded, wires were melted by heat, holes formed in poorly routed tubing, alternator got rusted, etc. stuff that the act of driving had very little to do with. i just am not a firm believer that not driving alone will preserve your car. the only thing i think about now when it comes to mileage is how long until the warranty runs out.
Old 09-27-2010, 08:22 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by bimmer722
I'm going to have to agree with polepositon on this one. This is "The Ultimate Driving Machine" no? I can't see not driving my car every chance I get. Yes, there are times when I take the wife's car but I would say 95% of the time the Bimmer is driven. 120,000miles and counting The stares, thumbs up, and the constatnt "That's a 2004? Looks like a new car" Take care of your car and it will take care of you. Drive it like you stole it (Can't wait for the ride home from work today..lol)
Yea I love when ppl say that too. I've never been the kinda guy to count my miles anyway. Just drove to Delaware from NYC and back 3 times in the last month. I've spent a pretty penny NOT including mods already since owning my car, upper hose leak, rotors, pads, spark plugs, ebox fan, car washes lol. Not a regret I love my car and love driving it.
Old 09-28-2010, 06:12 AM
Contributors

My Ride: SOLD...Jet Black 2008 550i M Sport with SAT, black interior. RPI exhaust and air scoop, 35% huper optik tint all around, CF roundels, flat black kidneys, Springfield Armory XD-40 jet black in glove box, charcoal filter removed.

Thanks for all of your thoughts on this topic. Like every issue you have some on one side and some on the other - with a few sprinkled in the middle for good measure.

Bottom line is that everyone who posted in this thread LOVE their BMWs. We'll drive or not drive according to our desire and needs. In the end, as long as you're happy doing what you do just keep on keepin on, right.

So thanks again. for those that are in the same boat as me, good luck and keep that thing pristine as long as you can. for all the others, good luck as well, hope you get many more miles out of your car as possible for the least amount of maint cost.