E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just picked up my 09 535xi - seeking some advice...

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 07:51 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sport, Cold, premium, Nav, etc... bought with 11K miles.

Quick questions:
When the OEM dunlops wear out - are most people swapping to non-run flats - such as Michelein PS2' or PS2 All seasons? Those that have - are they noticeably better performing? I would suspect that runflats are overly stiff in the sidewalls.

Can anyone recommend a leather care product for the nice dakota leather for my comfort seats? (these seats are incredible)

Is it easy to hardwire for a radar detector? Is there a open fuse that most people use. I have a Passport 9500xi that I would like to hardwire.

Is it smart to put synthetic in at the first service (15,000 miles)?

Car is alpine white - thinking about 3M hood/mirror protection - is this a waste, does is discolor, etc.. ??

(HPFP has already been replaced) Anything else to look out for? What are the smart but conservative performance mods?

Thanks and I love it so far.
Old 04-08-2010, 07:53 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Alpine White 550i Sport, Cream Beige Interior, 6-Sp Manual - retired 9/2011

Pricked it up? Is that like pimping a ride?
Old 04-08-2010, 08:21 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i Options: Sports Pkg/ Premium Pkg/ Navigation/ USB(iPod) Mods: Tint (lolololol) any ideas? I LOVE THIS CAR!!! (WAAAAAYYYYY better than my previous MB E350, but quite a bit more expensive :( )

Originally Posted by JTC1
Sport, Cold, premium, Nav, etc... bought with 11K miles.

Quick questions:
When the OEM dunlops wear out - are most people swapping to non-run flats - such as Michelein PS2' or PS2 All seasons? Those that have - are they noticeably better performing? I would suspect that runflats are overly stiff in the sidewalls.

Can anyone recommend a leather care product for the nice dakota leather for my comfort seats? (these seats are incredible)

Is it easy to hardwire for a radar detector? Is there a open fuse that most people use. I have a Passport 9500xi that I would like to hardwire.

Is it smart to put synthetic in at the first service (15,000 miles)?

Car is alpine white - thinking about 3M hood/mirror protection - is this a waste, does is discolor, etc.. ??

(HPFP has already been replaced) Anything else to look out for? What are the smart but conservative performance mods?

Thanks and I love it so far.

Congras man!!! The 535 engine is one for the ages because it is a tremendous engine. I myself am I in love with my all the power. As for mods, Juice Box it. I say wait a month or so, tear it up a couple times for good measure just so you can feel the power, then upgrade with the JB and feel the difference. Night/Day. As for the 3M it all depends on how long you plan to keep your car. If it is a LONGGGG term thing, then do it, but for me, Im goign to be giving the car up as of december 2011. So I didn't think it was worth it. And car is actually (knock on wood) fine. I love the grip of those Dunlops. I suggest sticking with em. Although they are looked down upon because they are runflats, they really are great tires. They provide sooooo much feel and grip. That was just my .02 hope it helped

Once again, congrats on the twin turbo'd beauty
Old 04-08-2010, 08:23 AM
Members

Welcome to the forum.

First thing I did was hard wire a V1 - this car is too damn fast!

Second thing I did was order new tires that are not run-flat.

PS2s are great tires,have them on my Carrera, but wouldn't want them on this car as they are too fast wearing.

I decided on the 245/40R-18 Continental ExtremeContact DWS - plenty of good ratings at tirerack.com and a reasonable price for the 18"ers I need.

Unfortunately they are back-ordered (Due to me on 5/29/2010!!) from Conti to TireRack now, so place your order in expectation of your Dunlops wearing out.

PS - if your dealer is anything like mine, they will not change to non-RFTs for you. Against policy. As a back-up plan,I've got a spare and tool kit in the back of my rig now, just in case.

Cheers,
Gundo
Old 04-08-2010, 09:57 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Congrats and welcome JTC1,

All I say, is that get rid of the RF's.
A new and better car will grow up.

My winter 17" Nokian RF's are harder than
my 19" non-RF Dunlops.
See my info (click Ricracing) for more details.

Use only BMW recommended oils, they are very synthetic.
The first service will be when the iDrive tells you to.

Go for 19" tires.
Old 04-08-2010, 11:43 AM
Members

I hardwired my 9500 using the same location others have tapped V1 (search...there is a thread on V1 hardwie). I mounted the "remote" by the steering wheel.

For leather care, I have always liked Lexol products.