E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Just got back from the track!

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 08:50 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: MY06 530i Silver Grey (A08)

Originally Posted by uheenada' post='843776' date='Apr 10 2009, 11:06 PM
Great run!!
One thing about the temperature though, I think 'the regulars' are right and wrong.
It is true that near freezing temp make your tires harden however, the colder temp
makes engine run stronger. With street tires, if you do the proper warming/burning
up the tires before the run, higher temperature won't likely give you a better time.
It will actually give you better times with colder temperature.

Slicks are different story. It all depends on the slicks of course, but slicks are 'more' temperature sensitive than street tires.

I wouldn't bet on 3-5 tenths of second improvement when temperature goes up.
With that theory, people who drag strip in Phoenix will always have a better time than people in New York
if everything being same except for the temperature.
Rule of thumb is .1 improvement per 10F drop and vice versa.

I'm no expert though. Just a huge fan of Formula 1
Someone will explain you better or correct me if I'm wrong.
+1. If you are running stock radials, like you are, at your speed grip should not be an issue. If it is, then just have the track guy spray some "water" (VHT) in the box, drive around it, then back in and roll just your rear tires through it. problem solved. The colder weather will usually make you run better, not worse, depending on humidity levels. 5 tenths is a significant number, and its unlikely that you would pick up that much with a stock car based on weather. Now, you will probably pick that up by improving driving, making sure the car is warm enough, etc. Also, what was your short time, MPH at the 1000' and the last trap? You may want to stage deep (rolling forward so that instead of lighting up both stage bulbs, you only light the second). It will decrease your MPH at th top end, but it will improve your short time, which seems to be where you may be losing some time based on what you said.

Just my thoughts based on my experience...Hope it helps.

EDIT: Saw that your MPH was 103...nice run. What was your short time?
Old 04-12-2009, 11:18 AM
Members

Since I have the same year, model, and transmission, this was especially interesting to me. Thanks for posting your times!
Old 04-12-2009, 11:27 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 550i sport package, manual, black on black w/ anthracite trim, pdc, logic 7, cold weather pkg.

Originally Posted by 305bimmer' post='844486' date='Apr 11 2009, 11:50 PM
+1. If you are running stock radials, like you are, at your speed grip should not be an issue. If it is, then just have the track guy spray some "water" (VHT) in the box, drive around it, then back in and roll just your rear tires through it. problem solved. The colder weather will usually make you run better, not worse, depending on humidity levels. 5 tenths is a significant number, and its unlikely that you would pick up that much with a stock car based on weather. Now, you will probably pick that up by improving driving, making sure the car is warm enough, etc. Also, what was your short time, MPH at the 1000' and the last trap? You may want to stage deep (rolling forward so that instead of lighting up both stage bulbs, you only light the second). It will decrease your MPH at th top end, but it will improve your short time, which seems to be where you may be losing some time based on what you said.

Just my thoughts based on my experience...Hope it helps.

EDIT: Saw that your MPH was 103...nice run. What was your short time?
60 ft=2.33
1/8 =9.08 @81.05 mph