E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jet Black vs. Sapphire Black

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2005, 03:33 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys,

I am about to put in the order for my 2006 550i. I am agonizing over the exterior color. My wife's 545i is Titanium Grey. That was my first choice, but she has it, and although some of you may think I am crazy having 2 E60's in the family, having two Titanium Grey ones would put me in the psych ward for sure.

Anyway, since we can't get Carbon Black in the states, I am thinking about Jet Black or Sapphire Black. I have just sold my 95 Black Trans Am, which was a non-metallic black, similar to Jet Black. I swore I would never own another black car, again, but I have seen some nice looking e60's in black and love that look.

So, what is the advantages of Jet vs Sapphire. They both look the same from a distance. Sapphire sparkles in the sunshine is the only difference I can see. My second choice, when purchasing the 545 was Silver Grey Metallic, but I think it is too close to Titanium Grey.

Any Opinions would be helpful. The 550i will be garaged all the time, driven as a third car, which is probably once a week and on weekends. So, I could keep it out of the rain and bad weather. Though black, either one, looks great all beaded up in the rain. The interior will be Black Dakota, no problems there.

Please help and thanks!

Regards, Mike...
Old 09-26-2005, 04:11 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60

I love Sapphire. Try doing a Forum Search though. This has been discussed many times.

Like you said, the Sapphire has subtle metalic sparkle to it and the car just looks amazing. I get compliments on it A LOT.

Originally Posted by mehall2' date='Sep 26 2005, 05:33 PM
Guys,

I am about to put in the order for my 2006 550i.? I am agonizing over the exterior color.? My wife's 545i is Titanium Grey.? ? That was my first choice, but she has it, and although some of you may think I am crazy having 2 E60's in the family, having two Titanium Grey ones would put me in the psych ward for sure.?

Anyway, since we can't get Carbon Black in the states, I am thinking about Jet Black or Sapphire Black.? I have just sold my 95 Black Trans Am, which was a non-metallic black, similar to Jet Black.? I swore I would never own another black car, again, but I have seen some nice looking e60's in black and love that look.?

So, what is the advantages of Jet vs Sapphire.? They both look the same from a distance.? Sapphire sparkles in the sunshine is the only difference I can see.? My second choice, when purchasing the 545 was Silver Grey Metallic, but I think it is too close to Titanium Grey.

Any Opinions would be helpful.? The 550i will be garaged all the time, driven as a third car, which is probably once a week and on weekends.? So, I could keep it out of the rain and bad weather.? Though black, either one, looks great all beaded up in the rain.? The interior will be Black Dakota, no problems there.?

Please help and thanks!?

Regards, Mike...
[snapback]175393[/snapback]
Old 09-26-2005, 04:13 PM
Members

Saphire. I keep seeing one around Albuquerque - beautiful car.

Jim
530i titanium silver
Old 09-26-2005, 04:18 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Gone: 2004 525i Jet Black, Built 03/04, Premium Package, Black Dakota Leather, Halogen to Euro Spec Bi-Xenons Retrofit, Dark Poplar Wood Trim, Steptronic Breyton Spirit Reps 20x9F 20x10R - Nitto NT555 245/35/20F-275/30/20R, M5 Front Bumper, H&R Sport Springs, Chrome Grills, 20% Tint, Euro Reflectors, Debadged, Aux Input, CIP v19.x

A garage kept jet black e60 would be ideal. I vote for jet black...it looks absolutely beautiful at night and during the day if kept clean
Old 09-26-2005, 04:32 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i with everything

OK, everyone's thinking it so I will ask it. How the heck do you go from a 95 Trans Am to an E60?? Talk about a paradigm shift. Next thing you know you will be changing from briefs to boxers.
Old 09-26-2005, 04:42 PM
Senior Members

Another DFW member - great Although your member number indicates you've been around a while

Black Sapphire!

Speaking from experience (BMW colors) BS is easier to maintain than JB - but that;s just my 2 cents

Happy to let you check out my car if you would like.....

Which dealer are you getting from?

Cheers
Old 09-26-2005, 05:47 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by rodneyremington' date='Sep 26 2005, 06:32 PM
OK, everyone's thinking it so I will ask it. How the heck do you go from a 95 Trans Am to an E60??? Talk about a paradigm shift. Next thing you know you will be changing from briefs to boxers.
[snapback]175428[/snapback]
Yes, I asked myself that question as well. Had the T/A since new, for 10 years. Didn't drive it anymore, it just sat in the garage. Had 62K on the clock. My wife's purchase of the 545i, convinced me that I needed to get one for me. The T/A, after driving the 5, seemed crude, rude, abrasive, rough, and loud. That is what a T/A should be like, but I didn't realize how much fun I could have in a sedan. It was time for the T/A to go to another happy home.

When the 550 was announced, 360HP, whoopee! I had to have one. Not too much off the power of my T/A, but with much better gadgets, ride, handling, etc.

So, that is how I got to where I am. I looked at the 911, but if I went Porsche, I would like the Carrera S, which is 90K+, which is out of my budget. I would rather have the M5 for that kind of coin. But the wait on the M5 is LONG.

Regards, Mike
Old 09-26-2005, 05:51 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Bokke' date='Sep 26 2005, 06:42 PM
Another DFW member - great? ? Although your member number indicates you've been around a while?

Black Sapphire!?

Speaking from experience (BMW colors) BS is easier to maintain than JB - but that;s just my 2 cents

Happy to let you check out my car if you would like.....

Which dealer are you getting from?

Cheers
[snapback]175434[/snapback]
Thanks Bokke, maybe we will have enough for a meet and greet one day.

Anyway, Classic is who we bought the 2004 from, so I will give them a chance to make me a deal. I have already talked to Moritz in Arlington, but they told me $500 off List, to order it from them. Not too impressed. You would think, with 4 dealer in town, someone would be aggressive and cut a deal.

I might take you up on seeing your car. I would be interested in seeing how the Sapphire holds up. I would think it would hold up better than jet, because of the sparkles.

Thanks for the input.

Regards, Mike...
Old 09-26-2005, 05:58 PM
Senior Members

I had a metallic black Audi A6 2.7T for four years, and currently have a Jet Black 545. I can tell you without a doubt the Jet Black is the best looking color when it is absolutely clean. I compared a Jet Black and a Sapphire Black next to each other, in bright sunlight and cloudy conditions, and with both cars clean, and both a bit dirty.

When the cars are absolutely clean, nothing can touch the Jet Black. First of all, it is truly black. Anything else is 'not quite' black. The sapphire car was definitely lighter. The other thing is the Jet Black paint looks liquid when its clean. It has a depth and lustre that no other color can match. The sapphire car looked fantastic, but next to the jet black, it just wasn't quite as nice.

All that said, if there is even a little dirt on the car, the Sapphire car starts to look better. The Sapphire hides the dirt better, and swirl marks, scratches, and fingerprints don't show up as much. Up close, the Sapphire is a more interesting color with the metallic highlights. The Sapphire is also more interesting in that it is more unique.

All told, the Sapphire car will look better 90 - 95% of the time. It's only after that 'just washed' period that the Jet Black car will look better, and boy does it look good then!
Old 09-26-2005, 06:08 PM
Members

My Ride: 04 545 jet black/beige, smg sport,premium,sunshades,logic7,cwp,nav,pdc,bluetooth,16.0,light tint all around,Pirelli PZeroNero

absolutely agree with above,i had Blk Sapph on my e39 and currently Jet Blk e60-it was easier to maintain Sapphire but since yours will be garaged-go for Jet Blk-it looks stunning when clean!

Quick Reply: Jet Black vs. Sapphire Black