E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Jaguar XF SC vs. BMW 535i - Undecided

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 08:32 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2011 M3 Convertible, Alpine White/black, 6 speed 2011 535xi Tasmin Green, Venetian Beige

Originally Posted by swajames' post='552104' date='Mar 28 2008, 01:17 AM
Jaguar outscored BMW on initial quality in 2007 and was very close to BMW on three year reliability (2007 report on 2004 model year cars, where BMW was 7th and Jaguar was 11th). My only data point is my 2007 550, which ended up as a buy back.

Personally, I think the XF is an excellent car. The latest issue of Winding Road just came out today and it tests the XF. It's another positive review. In fact, I've yet to see a bad review of the XF.
I assume that you are referring to JD Power and Associates who I understand is a participant sponsored survey company, not a nonprofit. Since the companies they review pay for them to be in business I would be highly skeptical of anything they say. Consumer Reports, on the other hand, accepts no advertising and bases their quality reviews (read: quality, NOT performance) on ratings provided by people who actually own the cars. According to them, Jaguar's reliability is dismal.
Old 03-28-2008, 08:39 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i /w Sport pkg - SMG - Nav - Premium pkg - PDC - Ready to begin my modding! =)

Originally Posted by ddlv' post='552081' date='Mar 27 2008, 10:24 PM
I am trying to decide between a Jaguar XF and a BMW 535i, and I am really having a difficult time. Here are the most significant facts to me so far. Please weigh in:
  1. I think the XF is one of the nicest looking cars I have seen - beautiful body styling. Personally I like it much better than the 535.
  2. I test drove an XF (non supercharged). It was nice, but the 535 is much better in acceleration and driver feel in my opinion. I am hoping to test drive a supercharged XF soon.
  3. I thought the interior was a little too tight on the XF. Especially in the rear seat, it seems like the 535 has a little extra legroom that would make a lot of difference. It is also easy to clip your head on the way into the back seat of the XF.
  4. How will Jaguar reliability and cost to maintain on this new model compare to the 535?
If it weren't for the incredible body styling of the XF I would have gone to the BMW already. However, I may rationalize the smaller interior if the supercharged model has some acceleration to rival the 535.

Any input is welcomed. I know this is the home of BMW loyalists, so take it easy on me.

Thank you!
[/list]

Gene1,

Well first off by you posting your questions on the BMW forums, you definitely are going to get a bias opinion from most PPL on here, however Ive read through some of the post and there are some who are offering some balanced opinions, bravo to that!!! I am wondering if you posted the same questions on any of the Jag boards to see what thoughts you got there as well?????

There are so many factors in the choice between the two, I can tell you that BMW has a proven track record of performance and resale value, not to mention the brand name respect in the luxury market. So those are all positives. On the negative side the current e60 is going to be phased out in the next couple years, so if styling is an issue, then you might be upset to buy a 5 series, then in a year they change designs on you. To me thats a pretty big dissapointment when you are droppin 50 large on an auto, than it looks dated. Mainly why I choose my 545i over an 05 M3 drop top, I didnt want to drive an old body style.

As for the Jag, well over the long history of Jaguar, they have been re-invented several times over since their hay day of a racing brand, so even though their heritage goes way back, Id say the last 20 years have been somewhat suspect. However since they are less popular, and you are looking at a newly styled vehicle that should be around for a few years this may be what you seek. This is just me, but i would always take a car that looked like a Ferarri w/ a pinto engine any day over a Nova w/ a Ferarri engine if I had only had a choice between the two. I mean seriously who REALLY races their cars?!?!?!

I would say do your homework and make a personal choice. If you are planning to buy stick with the BMW, if you are planning to lease, then maybe you roll the dice, try it for a few years and see how you like it.

Good luck and if you get the Jag, dont get caught on these board again!!!

haha...j/k!

keep us posted!
Old 03-28-2008, 08:50 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2010 M5 alpine white, black full leather, etc.

Well, Jaguar has just been sold again. This time to an Indian automobile manufacturer. Can anyone get this company to work properly? Certainly, they make a pretty vehicle, but no way do they perform over time like our beloved choice.
Take the 535i and enjoy the ride for as long as you choose rather than until the Jag starts to fall apart on you.
Old 03-28-2008, 11:01 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by JeffNNJ' post='552291' date='Mar 28 2008, 09:32 AM
I assume that you are referring to JD Power and Associates who I understand is a participant sponsored survey company, not a nonprofit. Since the companies they review pay for them to be in business I would be highly skeptical of anything they say. Consumer Reports, on the other hand, accepts no advertising and bases their quality reviews (read: quality, NOT performance) on ratings provided by people who actually own the cars. According to them, Jaguar's reliability is dismal.
Consumer Reports 2008 Annual Auto Issue was just published (it is dated April 2008). Jaguar is actually two places above BMW on Consumer Reports' predicted reliability list by manufacturer. Ford also scored above BMW. As did Hyundai. Consumer Reports also has the 6 cylinder AWD E60 amongst its list of least reliable cars in the Upscale/Luxury cars category.
Old 03-28-2008, 11:31 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i Sport Carbon Black Metallic/Cream Beige Manny tranny and other stuff Recently gone, but never forgotten: 2005 Ford Mustang GT (hence the name) Torch Red/Crimson Manny tranny and every option available for that year 2002 Chrysler 300M Special Brilliant Black/Light Taupe/Dark Slate Autostick and goo-gobs of neat features that I will sorely miss

Originally Posted by swajames' post='552360' date='Mar 28 2008, 02:01 PM
... Consumer Reports also has the 6 cylinder AWD E60 amongst its list of least reliable cars in the Upscale/Luxury cars category.
Wow! Shudda hadda V8!
Old 03-28-2008, 11:32 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2010 M5 alpine white, black full leather, etc.

Originally Posted by swajames' post='552360' date='Mar 28 2008, 03:01 PM
Consumer Reports 2008 Annual Auto Issue was just published (it is dated April 2008). Jaguar is actually two places above BMW on Consumer Reports' predicted reliability list by manufacturer. Ford also scored above BMW. As did Hyundai. Consumer Reports also has the 6 cylinder AWD E60 amongst its list of least reliable cars in the Upscale/Luxury cars category.
reliability is not just a one year deal. take a peek at the last 10. it's a FAR different story.
Old 03-28-2008, 11:38 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by swajames' post='552360' date='Mar 28 2008, 02:01 PM
Jaguar as whole over the years has been just horrible/in the gutter. Very few bright spots to speak of what so ever for reliability. BMW has been pretty consistent through the years. Never great and never real bad. Pretty much avg. across the board. In reality "electrical issues" has really been the achilles heel of BMW. But then from a cutting edge stand point you'd expect that from any company. Jaguar has really been riddled with major mechincal issues for a long time. Like I said in last few years they've had some bright spots but in a whole I'd never say Jaguar is more reliable then BMW.
Old 03-28-2008, 12:57 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

Originally Posted by baadaaboo' post='552089' date='Mar 28 2008, 12:52 AM
how much is that FORD, oh, did I say Jaguar or ford? nevermind it makes no different anyways...
Its no longer a Ford.
Old 03-28-2008, 01:01 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

Originally Posted by ddlv' post='552081' date='Mar 28 2008, 12:24 AM
I am trying to decide between a Jaguar XF and a BMW 535i, and I am really having a difficult time. Here are the most significant facts to me so far. Please weigh in:
  1. I think the XF is one of the nicest looking cars I have seen - beautiful body styling. Personally I like it much better than the 535.
  2. I test drove an XF (non supercharged). It was nice, but the 535 is much better in acceleration and driver feel in my opinion. I am hoping to test drive a supercharged XF soon.
  3. I thought the interior was a little too tight on the XF. Especially in the rear seat, it seems like the 535 has a little extra legroom that would make a lot of difference. It is also easy to clip your head on the way into the back seat of the XF.
  4. How will Jaguar reliability and cost to maintain on this new model compare to the 535?
If it weren't for the incredible body styling of the XF I would have gone to the BMW already. However, I may rationalize the smaller interior if the supercharged model has some acceleration to rival the 535.

Any input is welcomed. I know this is the home of BMW loyalists, so take it easy on me.

Thank you!
[/list]
Its easier to buy it than lease it as BMW has much better residuals than the XF to the tune of $200 more per month. I like the Jag, its true its a first year model which even for BMW is not a good thing. I drove it and wonder why Jag can make the exhaust note sound sweet, but BMW can't.
Old 03-28-2008, 01:20 PM
Members

Mercedes have become Chryslers, Jags have become Fords but BMW's are still German made Sport Sedans! If you want a European version of a Cadillac buy a Benz or Jag. If you want a drivers car buy a BMW. I traded my 07 E350 sport for a 535i, cost me a lot of dough and one of the best purchases of my life. By the way, the new CTS handles better and goes faster than my Benz did.

Quick Reply: Jaguar XF SC vs. BMW 535i - Undecided