E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

I've joined the squeak and rattle club

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2005, 10:27 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='206487' date='Dec 2 2005, 10:56 PM
Just 2 a small tiny really / creak by the passenger door / footwell area, never was able to locate that but its small so dealer wont care and will says they cant hear it I know so I'm not going to bother with it... I can live with that. The other annoying one is the rear parcel shelf getting louder by the month... but no door seal rattle yet. *knock on wood* those are still good.

I try to take care of those... dry them off every time i wash the car and keep the door edges clean.
I started getting the creaking about 1 or 2 months ago and it's only gotten worse. I'm debating leaving it for a service visit that should roll around in about 2 months or squirting some Vinylex into the window tracks to see if that's the source. Hard to believe it's the door seals. Maybe its the door latch? Seems I remember once having a car that did this and it was fixed by some lithium grease. Seems it was a junker Land Rover or something, not a precision German machine. Ha, ha.
Old 12-03-2005, 01:01 AM
Contributors

My Ride: In a place where the Mercedes density is the highest in the world (no. of MB per square kilometer) I choose a Bimmer, why? because of one thing "The Ultimate Driving Experience" My Ride: 523i Steptronic, Silver Grey Exterior, Black Interior with Black Dakota Leather and Maple Wood Trim. Chrome Grill, Style 123 rim, Airbags everywhere, PDC, Rain sensor, Auto lights, Moveable front armrest, Advance Climate Control, Glass Sunroof, Auto dimming interior and exterior mirror with foldable functions, Extended Lights package, 6 CD changer in glove box, Power seats with memory, Power adjustable steering wheel, Power rear sunblinds. Add ons: 123 wheels, chrome grill, K&N Hi flow filter, Eibach Pro Kit, e60.net decal and 24,000km Past rides: 2001 Nissan Xterra SE 1999 E39 523i 1999 E46 323i 1996 Acura Integra LS

Well I just got those squeak fix last time I went to the dealer, hope it doesn't come back again.
Old 12-03-2005, 06:44 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by 545i now' post='206445' date='Dec 2 2005, 11:07 PM
Suddenly last week for no apparent reason I noticed what many of you have heard...the dreaded squeak of the drivers door seals. I experimented and have found that by not fully closing the window (one smidge on the down button, not rock solid tight) the squeak dissipated. Now a week into this comedy I have noticed that this technique is not working as well.

Add to that, I'm now hearing similar sounds coming from passenger side.

Seems like I only hear this at 5-10 mph and less, going through parking lots, surface streets, etc., but not at any degree of neighborhood or highway speed.

Up until now I felt fortunate not to have had this issue, but now I'm a little pissed and frustrated that my $60+K car sounds like a boat. I bet it will get worse .

My drivers comfort seat headrest has started to squeak too.. :thumbsdown: I've adjusted up/down, moved the back rest forwards/backwards and it seems to be gone (for now?).

Does the cooler weather contribute to this?

Help!! What to do... I'm not looking froward to dealing with the dealer
I don't have them yet. I live in Phoenix. We'll see. I guess I am lucky; I like my dealer and never dread going. I think you just need to bite the bullet and take the car to your dealer. I wish you luck. These sorts of thinks are not fun expecially if you don't like your dealer. Maybe you can drive farther and find one you like. When you get there, have them take you somewhere decent to hang out for a while.
Old 12-03-2005, 07:12 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 550i; Alpine White/Black Dakota/MSport/SAT/IAS/Driver Assistance/ConveniencePkg/Prem Pkg 2/4 Zone AC/Side-Top Cameras/HUD & Black panel/BMW Apps-iPhone 4 Media/M Decklid spolier /Ventureshiled clear bra/ V1 -Ordered 4/9/11, Production 4/19, Shipped on Martorell 4/23,Arrived Port Hueneme 5/19,Delivered 5/21/11

Originally Posted by vnod' post='206568
Suddenly last week for no apparent reason I noticed what many of you have heard...the dreaded squeak of the drivers door seals. I experimented and have found that by not fully closing the window (one smidge on the down button, not rock solid tight) the squeak dissipated. Now a week into this comedy I have noticed that this technique is not working as well.

Seems like I only hear this at 5-10 mph and less, going through parking lots, surface streets, etc., but not at any degree of neighborhood or highway speed.

Up until now I felt fortunate not to have had this issue, but now I'm a little pissed and frustrated that my $60+K car sounds like a boat. I bet it will get worse .

My drivers comfort seat headrest has started to squeak too.. :thumbsdown: I've adjusted up/down, moved the back rest forwards/backwards and it seems to be gone (for now?).

I don't have them yet. I live in Phoenix. We'll see. I guess I am lucky; I like my dealer and never dread going. I think you just need to bite the bullet and take the car to your dealer. I wish you luck. These sorts of thinks are not fun expecially if you don't like your dealer. Maybe you can drive farther and find one you like. When you get there, have them take you somewhere decent to hang out for a while.
[/quote]
I actually like my dealer, just the hassle factor of taking it in..explaining the prob...getting the loaner...waiting a couple days..going back.. time is precious. I have to decide either to wait til my first oil change (4400 miles) or deal with it sooner.
Old 12-03-2005, 08:33 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i SMG, Dinan Flywheel, M Sport Kit Blk, Blk.

Originally Posted by 545i now' post='206583
Originally Posted by 545i now' post='206445' date='Dec 2 2005, 11:07 PM

I actually like my dealer, just the hassle factor of taking it in..explaining the prob...getting the loaner...waiting a couple days..going back.. time is precious. I have to decide either to wait til my first oil change (4400 miles) or deal with it sooner.
[/quote]

keep it going -

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=19272&hl=
Old 12-03-2005, 03:27 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Now Driving a Freakin' Prius! Was... 2004 545i | SMG | White/Black | Sport | NAV | Logic 7 | PDC | Fold-down Seats | Adaptive Headlights | Cold Weather Pkg | Clear-again Bra | Mud Flaps | Bluetooth | Coat Hangar | Aux Input | All Weather Mats | 18"X8.5" BBS RK w/ Michelin Pilot Alpin's (winter) | New steering rack @ 1.2K & 17K miles| Software V.19.1 | B&B Exhaust (vrrrroooooommm!) <---Click.

Mine developed typically when we had hot & humid weather. (None of that here now - and no creaks).
I had the Carbaflo-job done a couple of times but the creaks returned.
Last time in (a few weeks ago) the seals were replaced.
No creaks now (but it is so freakin cold ).
Old 12-20-2005, 08:48 AM
Members

My Ride: E60 530D SE
Thumbs down

Creaking Boat sound from drivers door & window area sorted!

I had this problem with my E60 for ages. My car went back to dealer 3 times for door seals lubricating. After much testing and lubricating of door seals myself I eventually I found out what it was. Its the velour (fuzzy) lining on the tops of the driver and passenger doors.

I've sorted this by spraying rubber and plastic safe silicone spray ( Available from any good hardware/auto store) lubricant all over these door top strips and the creaks completely disappear instantly (spraying the rubber door seals is not necessary). Only thing is you have to re-apply this every 3 to 6 months and regular power washing or wet weather makes the creaking return sooner, but this is no hardship and the silicone protects the seals. I live in the rainy UK and it hasn't re-appeared for 5 months since last application!
Old 12-20-2005, 09:17 AM
Members

getting creaking noise from behind stering wheel.