E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Ipod and Idrive Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 03:12 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Finally got my retro-fit ipod kit installed by my dealer.

Question, my idrive screen shows about six songs and has a little white indicator at the top and the bottom of the display to show there is more music available on either side of the visible list, when I scroll to find more of my music I can feel the Idrive Controller 'kicking' in my hand, as though it doesn't really want to scroll. It happens in both directions, is this normal?

thanks
Head
Old 08-29-2007, 03:26 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545, Titanium Gray II, 6 Spd, CWP, Sat, LPP Laser Defense, V1 (hard-wired), iPod, 38% ceramic tint, CDV delete, H&R Street Performance Coil Overs, Forced Air Induction, DriveData Pro Camera System (4 cams), M5 Front Bumper

Originally Posted by Head' post='463658' date='Aug 29 2007, 07:12 AM

Question, my idrive screen shows about six songs and has a little white indicator at the top and the bottom of the display to show there is more music available on either side of the visible list, when I scroll to find more of my music I can feel the Idrive Controller 'kicking' in my hand, as though it doesn't really want to scroll. It happens in both directions, is this normal?

thanks
Head
Gosh, that's a great question. I would also like to know. I experience the same thing on my 05 545 and it drives me nuts. That and how the IPod interface resets to the top of the list under various (annoying) circumstances. Overall, I have to say I'm disappointed with the interface, though I am even more disappointed in what I paid for my disappointment.
Old 08-29-2007, 04:00 AM
MDT
Members

My Ride: 2004 525i, Titanium Silver, Gray Leather, Premium Package, Steptronic trans, xenon adaptive headlights, sat. prep, no navigation, bluetooth, ipod adapter

Originally Posted by Head' post='463658' date='Aug 29 2007, 04:12 AM

thanks
Head

Mine does not do this, but I do not have navigation. Cars with navigation have a "forced feedback" on the idrive controller, where cars without navigation do not. It sounds like this "force feedback" on the control knob is coming into play when you try to scroll through songs on your ipod.
Old 08-29-2007, 04:05 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545, Titanium Gray II, 6 Spd, CWP, Sat, LPP Laser Defense, V1 (hard-wired), iPod, 38% ceramic tint, CDV delete, H&R Street Performance Coil Overs, Forced Air Induction, DriveData Pro Camera System (4 cams), M5 Front Bumper

Originally Posted by MDT' post='463673' date='Aug 29 2007, 08:00 AM
Mine does not do this, but I do not have navigation. Cars with navigation have a "forced feedback" on the idrive controller, where cars without navigation do not. It sounds like this "force feedback" on the control knob is coming into play when you try to scroll through songs on your ipod.
Yes, your summation is correct. And yes, I do have Nav.

I figured it was "working as designed" but thanks for the clarification.

Oddly enough, I just finished reading Jonathan Spira's article on the CCA site about I-Drive, which basically answered my question as well!

Thanks.