E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Intermittent no start happening more often.

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 06:01 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i Mystic Blue

You are looking right at it. I was confused as well... I believe it is the module with the brown wire running across it in your picture (towards the top of the pic). Just take your time, unplug the modules one at a time and replace. It took me longer to get to the module than anything else.

Good luck.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:08 AM
Members

I took every module out, including the DME. I even opened the DME wondering if it was inside that case. I am sharing pictures with a local indy shop now. I am lost at this point.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:18 AM
Members

Originally Posted by wdempsey
You are looking right at it. I was confused as well... I believe it is the module with the brown wire running across it in your picture (towards the top of the pic). Just take your time, unplug the modules one at a time and replace. It took me longer to get to the module than anything else.

Good luck.
I talked to a local indy shop. He said the documentation he has seen is only for a V8 series with ISM. He has not seen documentation for the 6 cylinder 530i so I think that was wrong path.

I am going to have it towed to indy shop now. I will let you know how it goes.

Last edited by fritolay; 12-04-2012 at 12:17 PM.
Old 06-21-2013, 10:02 PM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2004 545 6 M/T
Model Year: 2004

Originally Posted by wdempsey
I replaced my ISM last weekend and all is well. No issues thus far.

Cheers!
For those that have changed the IVM (Integrated Supply Module); did you disconnect the battery first? Going to be doing this very soon and don't want to kill anything! Thank you!
Old 06-22-2013, 09:05 PM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2004 545 6 M/T
Model Year: 2004

Originally Posted by BraveHelios
For those that have changed the IVM (Integrated Supply Module); did you disconnect the battery first? Going to be doing this very soon and don't want to kill anything! Thank you!
Confirmed; unit swapped out with battery connected. No issues before, during and after installation. Now I hope that it takes care of the no crank issue!
Old 09-18-2013, 11:31 AM
New Members

My Ride: 545i
Smile Integrated supply module

Just wanted to say thanks for pointing me in the direction of the IVM unit. For 8 months my 2005 545i was randomly stalling, not starting no crank all lights on dash and more worryingly a montage of random transmission faults ABS faults DSC faults etc. BMW stealers couldn't give me a solution despite numerous diagnostics and replacement parts, all at my expense, not even 3 separate indie dealers could figure it out, or come up with any solutions ( I had new alternator, new make contact rely, had removed and tested starter motor was good so went back on, new key, all earths and wiring checked, the list was endless and costly ). An indie suggested new EWS ( immobiliser ) or DME/DDE, so i googled my issue and found this thread. Now what I find really worrying is NONE of these experts once mentioned or suggested they didn't even hint at it being the IVM !!!!! I bought the unit on Monday and fitted it myself. It cost £83 from the stealers, took 10 minutes to replace ( probably because it was raining heavy )and I haven't had a single issue since even cured my horrible misfire. SO THANKS TO ALL WHO CONTRIBUTED TO THIS DISCOVERY, SEEMS YOU KNOW MORE THAN THE EXPERTS )) THANKS.
Old 10-02-2013, 02:58 PM
Members

Fritolay, did you ever find the location of the Integrated Voltage Supply Module for your car, i have the same spec car 2004 530 i and cant get it started. I called two separate BMW dealerships but they can't find Integrated Voltage Supply Module listed for my car. All the dash lights and i drive lights up when i crank but it wont turn over. I need some help please.
Old 10-02-2013, 03:49 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bonziat
Fritolay, did you ever find the location of the Integrated Voltage Supply Module for your car, i have the same spec car 2004 530 i and cant get it started. I called two separate BMW dealerships but they can't find Integrated Voltage Supply Module listed for my car. All the dash lights and i drive lights up when i crank but it wont turn over. I need some help please.
You won't find an IVM on your 2004 530i. V8 engines only.

If you feel you have enough voltage at the battery try disconnecting your IBS and see if it starts.
Old 10-02-2013, 03:55 PM
Members

I tried disconnecting the IBS earlier but it didn't help
Old 10-02-2013, 06:50 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you hearing a click (starter solenoid engaging) when you turn the key?
If yes, then it is very likely your starter motor.

If not, you might try another key (the one you using may not be releasing the CAS).

When you hear no click, either the solenoid on the starter has died or the voltage that is normally sent to the solenoid is never getting there.

Have you measured the battery voltage to make sure you have enough voltage to move the solenoid?

Quick Reply: Intermittent no start happening more often.