E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Intermittent no start happening more often.

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 04:18 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been having this problem for months now. Used to be every once in a while now in the last two day it has done it at least 10 times. Turn the key nothing all lights on the dash light up but no crank. It has always started after a few minutes but last time it took at least ten minutes. I had both keys with me so I think I can rule that out. I got a starter the other day for it and was going to just change it but it is a major project. Can't get to the wires to check it either. Any suggestions? Anyone know where the right wire is under the hood to check if the ignition system is even sending a signal to the starter? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 04-21-2012, 06:41 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i, 6-speed Manual, Silver Grey Metallic, Grey Dakota Leather, Cold Weather Pkg, Premium Sound Pkg, Sport Pkg, Lumbar Support

This is just a guess, but I would suspect the switch in the steering column. I have no idea how to inspect it, much less repair or replace it. Personally, I actuate this switch very deliberately. I select each position slowly and pause after the first and second positions before selecting the next, hoping this will prolong the life.
Old 04-21-2012, 08:54 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

How's your battery?
Old 04-21-2012, 03:43 PM
Members

Today I eliminated the starter.
The battery is new.
Now it gets complicated.
Old 04-21-2012, 05:51 PM
Members

Just found this going to try Monday.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/arc.../t-575664.html
Old 04-22-2012, 12:53 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i BMW sport

Could be the (DME module) that happen to me. I replaced battery and my started was fine but it still would not start.
When I turn the key it would make a whining noise like a grunt but would not start. I towed it to BMW dealer and after a week they could not even figure it out. I towed it out of there to a highly recommended shop and they figure it out after 2 days it was the DME MODULE. I also have a 2005 545 so I guess i could relate GL!
Old 04-22-2012, 12:58 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Originally Posted by mfrasca
I have been having this problem for months now. Used to be every once in a while now in the last two day it has done it at least 10 times. Turn the key nothing all lights on the dash light up but no crank. It has always started after a few minutes but last time it took at least ten minutes. I had both keys with me so I think I can rule that out. I got a starter the other day for it and was going to just change it but it is a major project. Can't get to the wires to check it either. Any suggestions? Anyone know where the right wire is under the hood to check if the ignition system is even sending a signal to the starter? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Could be DME related or it could your immobilizer is not synced up. Reprogramming could clear this up. First check the DME and see if there is water in the compartment or anything. Could have just taken a dump. Either or, you issue is probably at one of those two. I've seen it a lot. If you have an INDY shop or friend with software that can re-program and then marry the units it would be the first think i'd do. If not, you can do it yourself with the proper tools. I've seen CAS become unaligned on several cars before.
Old 04-22-2012, 02:06 PM
Members

Would a DME problem be intermittent?
Old 04-23-2012, 01:42 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Mystic Blue

I am having the exact same issue as the OP and have a 2005 545i... I am curious to see how this is resolved. One time however, after a short start, the engine turned off. Not sure if this is a related issue or not.
Old 04-23-2012, 02:50 PM
Members

I replaced the Integrated Supply Module today will know tomorrow if it's fixed.

Quick Reply: Intermittent no start happening more often.