E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Insurance / repair questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 05:58 AM
Members

Location: Santa Fe Springs (SFS) - L.A. (SoCal) USA, North America, EARTH
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This exact same thing happened to my car! Except my wife was driving that day and was sitting in front of my daughters school with the car off. Someone backed into the driver door and crunched it up. This brings up one thing I hate about our cars - the horn doesn't work when the car's off. Anyway, my wife frantically calls me to tell me what happened. I'm royally pissed and conferenced in the police to head down and do a police report.

Even though the other girl was clearly at fault, she was trying to say my wife had just pulled up and the other party couldn't see the car since it's so low. Obviously the officer was not stupid and ruled in our favor that the other party was at fault and stated so on the police report. This is why it's so important to get a police report!

Anyway the other party's insuranco co (State Farm) handled everything from head to toe. The only thing I called my insurance co (state farm) was so that they could call the other party and tell them to get off their ass and answer the questions State Farm had for them.

Finally we found a great shop, they replaced the door (which they had color matched and painted) and installed within a week.

I was happy with the end result, and satisfied for the 2nd time with State Farm's integrity, & swiftness in the matter.

Here in California it's advisable to go through the other party's insurance co. Even though the other party admits fault or not, as long as the officer writing the police report rules in your favor then you don't need to work through your own insurance co at all. Now if the officer rules against you, then you're screwed and you won't be calling the other party's insurance co. for anything - just your own.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:08 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2001 BMW330ci, Steel Gray, Black leather, Steptronic, PP, SP, PDC, Heated seats, Xenon head lights, HK, 6 disk changer, OEM alarm, OEM clears,Iice white fog lights ,Universal trasnciver, 17 inch Michelin Pilot Sport Tires 2005 530i Titanium Gray,Black leather, Nav.,HUD,PP,CWP,SP,PDC,Xenon lights,Steptronic,Logic 7 sound system,,Fold down read seats,Power shades ON ORDER

Originally Posted by SFS550
This exact same thing happened to my car! Except my wife was driving that day and was sitting in front of my daughters school with the car off. Someone backed into the driver door and crunched it up. This brings up one thing I hate about our cars - the horn doesn't work when the car's off. Anyway, my wife frantically calls me to tell me what happened. I'm royally pissed and conferenced in the police to head down and do a police report.

Even though the other girl was clearly at fault, she was trying to say my wife had just pulled up and the other party couldn't see the car since it's so low. Obviously the officer was not stupid and ruled in our favor that the other party was at fault and stated so on the police report. This is why it's so important to get a police report!

Anyway the other party's insuranco co (State Farm) handled everything from head to toe. The only thing I called my insurance co (state farm) was so that they could call the other party and tell them to get off their ass and answer the questions State Farm had for them.

Finally we found a great shop, they replaced the door (which they had color matched and painted) and installed within a week.

I was happy with the end result, and satisfied for the 2nd time with State Farm's integrity, & swiftness in the matter.

Here in California it's advisable to go through the other party's insurance co. Even though the other party admits fault or not, as long as the officer writing the police report rules in your favor then you don't need to work through your own insurance co at all. Now if the officer rules against you, then you're screwed and you won't be calling the other party's insurance co. for anything - just your own.
Sorry I also have State Farm and the other party was at fault on the police report,rear ended,and State Farm didn't want me to get in touch with the other party's insurance They handled everything including getting my $500 deductible from the other party.
cheers
vern
Old 03-01-2011, 09:10 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Man, that sucks to hear dude.

I have AAA (surprised I am the first person in this thread here), and when I have been involved in accidents due to other party's fault, I have never had to deal with the other party's insurance. I call up AAA, let them know what happened, obtain the other party's info from me, and all I have ever needed to do was take my car into a shop I choose.

Never had to pay deductible for anything that was someone else's fault. AAA takes care of everything, and sounds like it's one of the perks of being an Auto-Club member
Old 03-01-2011, 09:38 AM
Senior Members

To OP,

If you haven't taken care of this matter yet, I would recommend you to go with your own insurance to get the matter resolved ASAP. If you weren't at fault, you will eventually get the deductible reimburse. If the repair is for that much, it will definitely show up on CarFax so be sure to take a photo of the damage as proof so later on you can show it to the next buyer what happened. I used to work for insurance company claims department and against them so I've been on both sides of the fence when it comes to the issue of to claim against your own company or the other.

Good luck...
Old 03-01-2011, 10:13 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2001 BMW330ci, Steel Gray, Black leather, Steptronic, PP, SP, PDC, Heated seats, Xenon head lights, HK, 6 disk changer, OEM alarm, OEM clears,Iice white fog lights ,Universal trasnciver, 17 inch Michelin Pilot Sport Tires 2005 530i Titanium Gray,Black leather, Nav.,HUD,PP,CWP,SP,PDC,Xenon lights,Steptronic,Logic 7 sound system,,Fold down read seats,Power shades ON ORDER

Originally Posted by rctmthouse
To OP,

If you haven't taken care of this matter yet, I would recommend you to go with your own insurance to get the matter resolved ASAP. If you weren't at fault, you will eventually get the deductible reimburse. If the repair is for that much, it will definitely show up on CarFax so be sure to take a photo of the damage as proof so later on you can show it to the next buyer what happened. I used to work for insurance company claims department and against them so I've been on both sides of the fence when it comes to the issue of to claim against your own company or the other.

Good luck...
And also don't forget the "diminished value" because it comes up on carfax when you go to trade or sell your car.
Good luck
cheers
vern
Old 03-01-2011, 03:54 PM
Members

The car goes in tomorrow to the shop of my choosing so I don't think i am going to reset the process at this point. When I informed my insurance company that I would be working with the other one they said to contact them if any thing came up and they would assist.

I asked about dimished value and someone is suppose to follow up with me. The bill is likely going to be quite a bit lower, both of the initial extimates were from 2 or 3 BMW certified shops in town. The shop I am going with gets great feedback and is more in the $1500 - $2000 range. For what I am having done the certification is irrelevant. The photo idea is a good one and I have taken a bunch.