E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Insurance / repair questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 02:03 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had someone take out my rear passenger door in a parking lot on friday, guy cut it too sharp pulling out and his bumper pushed in my door, I was parked with the engine off. The door was dented in a couple inches but popped out with a suction cup. However the metal is wavy and the paint is scratched. Got a couple estimates today from BMW certified places here in San Diego, one was $4300 w/o a new door, the other was $3000 with a new door. I'm thinking the new door is the way to go but worry about losing the vin tag on the door.

I've never had to deal with insurance before (lucky me) and not sure what the best course of action is, I've spoken to both companies and think I know my options but want to do what is my car's best interest. I have Gieco and the other guy has State Farm. Do I just work with my company and have them deal with getting reimbursed by the other company? One downside is I would be out my deductible until things settle out. Anyone have experience with either of these companies or words of wisdom regarding which way to go?

Thanks guys
Old 02-27-2011, 08:52 PM
Members

Start by filing a police report and then contact the other driver?s car insurance company directly. If they create problems, then it?s time to involve your car insurance else keep them out of it. Good luck!
Old 02-28-2011, 06:20 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 08 528I Sport/Prem

Work through his insurance company. They should fix everything. If you call your insurance, all they will do is tell you to call the guys insurance company or offer to fix if you pay a deductible. You do not want to do the latter.
Old 02-28-2011, 06:43 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Not sure how many people would look for such details as a door vin. I bet the repair would show up on carfax though... I think I would take a new door and be really concerned about making sure everything looks good visually and no evidence of a repair and you don't have a color shade issue where someone walks up and asked who repaired that door?
Old 02-28-2011, 06:45 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

The VIN is actually etched on the door? I always thought it was only on the data plate that's attached to the frame.

I would think that for an OEM part that costs 3 grand, the VIN etching should be included.
Old 02-28-2011, 06:48 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Luxurytax
Work through his insurance company. They should fix everything. If you call your insurance, all they will do is tell you to call the guys insurance company or offer to fix if you pay a deductible. You do not want to do the latter.
No sure what the rules are in your state ... In NJ you are required to report the accident to YOUR insurance company; I do not recommend contacting the other party's insurance company directly. The explanation is far more involved than I have time to get into at the moment ... maybe one of the attorneys who are on the forum can weigh in on the why's and wherefor's
Old 02-28-2011, 06:54 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 08 528I Sport/Prem

Originally Posted by luigi524td
No sure what the rules are in your state ... In NJ you are required to report the accident to YOUR insurance company; I do not recommend contacting the other party's insurance company directly. The explanation is far more involved than I have time to get into at the moment ... maybe one of the attorneys who are on the forum can weigh in on the why's and wherefor's
I was rear ended last week. Called my insurance company State farm and told them I had an accident and wasn't at-fault. The rep said I need to call their insurance company directly and file a claim unless I prefer paying a deductible and later getting reimbursed. State farm didn't even ask for my information or policy #.

This is solely based off my experience.
Old 02-28-2011, 07:08 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Luxurytax
I was rear ended last week. Called my insurance company State farm and told them I had an accident and wasn't at-fault. The rep said I need to call their insurance company directly and file a claim unless I prefer paying a deductible and later getting reimbursed. State farm didn't even ask for my information or policy #.

This is solely based off my experience.
I think the OP needs to read his/her insurance policy ...
Old 02-28-2011, 08:16 PM
Members

Thanks for the replies guys.

First thing I did was report the incident to my insurance company. They offered to handle it for me or said I could go through the other company but they wouldn't offer any guidance, hence my post. After talking to a few people (incl. a lawyer) I am working directly with the other company. I got a good vibe from dealing with them on the phone and the shops I talked to said they were easier to deal with as well. The guy that hit me was honest and admitted fault so a least that won't be an issue.

Car goes in on Wednesday and really hope they do a good job. Shop seems good, gets awesome reviews and have been around for a long time. They aren't sure if the door will need to be replaced until they get inside but is sounds like most of the passenger side will be getting painted in order to blend everything and hopefully fool my eyes.
Old 03-01-2011, 05:38 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2001 BMW330ci, Steel Gray, Black leather, Steptronic, PP, SP, PDC, Heated seats, Xenon head lights, HK, 6 disk changer, OEM alarm, OEM clears,Iice white fog lights ,Universal trasnciver, 17 inch Michelin Pilot Sport Tires 2005 530i Titanium Gray,Black leather, Nav.,HUD,PP,CWP,SP,PDC,Xenon lights,Steptronic,Logic 7 sound system,,Fold down read seats,Power shades ON ORDER

Originally Posted by luigi524td
I'm not an attorney but what you are saying about going through your insurance is 100% correct at least in NJ.Your insurance company will advise you of this. If you don't you could possibly have a problem recouping your deductible.
Cheers
vern

Quick Reply: Insurance / repair questions