E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Instrument cluster rebooting while driving????

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 05:29 AM
New Members

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i+BT+AUX+Coding
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N62

Originally Posted by mickeyboy500
Yes is the answer, comes with Diagnostics and Coding programmes.
+1, sorry for the late response...been busy with this latest "toy"....getting frustrated, got it from here
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/200877362382?...84.m1497.l2649

NEVER BUY from this guy!!!!!!

Last edited by cmyachtie; 04-14-2013 at 05:29 AM. Reason: cheat on ebay
Old 02-14-2013, 05:46 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by mickeyboy500
Hey cmyachtie, how are you getting on with fixing your problem, come to any firm conclusions yet?
thanks for asking, still trying to get this SW to work on my laptop, have come to the conclusion that likely will need to get a older "dedicated" laptop to do this with as I have spent all the time I can doing this with my everyday computer, as I just about killed it the other day during one of the many reboots of the re-installation try.

Despite the cable vendor saying he does not provide support for the "free" included SW to his credit, he has been responding to my emails and has provided some support but not to the point where things are working, OTT the car has been parked and battery is under maintenance charger and have done numerous electrical tests but nothing has turned up that looks like the culprit to me.

When car is in sleep mode, no noticable current draw got myself one of those amp clamp current meters but tolerance is such (in the 100 amp range that nothing shows, which is in this case a good thing, however when car wakes up draws 70 amps with door AND TRUNK LID open, WHEN DOOR IS CLOSED current gradually drops down in stages to 7 amps.

Am concerned with the 70 amps and doing some research on that and don't know what is normal with the auto transmission on the 545. There is all this relay clicking going on during the wake up and going back to sleep mode, suspect those mechatronics will draw some juice.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:24 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 E60 535d, Carbon Black, Beige Leather, 20" Lenso Alloys, Quad Powerflow Stainless Exhaust, Remapped

Sympathise with you re: the software, it can be a bit daunting getting it all up and running.

This is probably the best (simplest) installation that I have come across, one click scripted files take care of everything from VMWare to the correct Daten files.
BMW & Mini Diagnostic Cable - Black Edition Ğ BM Technic | BMW Diagnostic Cable | BMW Diagnostic Software

DIS is probably the most useful for the diagnostics.

Keep us updated.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:26 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 E60 535d, Carbon Black, Beige Leather, 20" Lenso Alloys, Quad Powerflow Stainless Exhaust, Remapped

Have a look here.
BMW: Current when car is active vs sleeping : BMW 5 series Forum • BMWLand
Old 03-09-2013, 01:39 AM
New Members

Well decided to check out a few more things and took out the DME as battery seems OK, current drain I think is OK also believe have some sort of bad connection or SW timing issue with the cluster and DME, after checking all wires and connectors carefully and putting everything back, got the Adaptive steering message but that is no problem for me however got a new one the "engine malfunction, Reduced power!"

Any idea on how to get rid of that?
Got me a cable and got EDIABAS and INPA running but am thus far unable to get engine errors on it something about wrong version message IIRC, still working on installing more Diagn. SW though....
This is what I managed to get before I got the engine message a week ago(and before I removed the DME):

27EE CAN-Timeout Instrumentenkombination
284F failure at speed-display kombi
2774 Monitoring cyc. failurestoring
299B IBS communication
P2610 Engine off timing
27F2 Plausibility gas level

They occurred in the above order.
Old 04-13-2013, 02:19 AM
New Members

Default Update....instrument cluster fiasco

Looks I have done it now..., took out the cluster again as I realized that I did not follow the instructions correctly from AchtungE60 previously this time I actually locked the car up after removing the cluster,(last time I just let the car go to sleep w/o turning alarm on), left it overnight and re-installed it next day and I thought heh, this looks and sounds promising the cluster is not clicking away like it has rodents running around in it anymore (tick, tick, and the pointers on the speedo and tach did not move anymore) all seemed like it should be untill I turned the key.......nothing all is quiet and dark........in the cluster......
So I thought maybe a fuse, but no only sign of life is when I reinserted the fuse there seemed some noise from the cluster indicating it got power.

Will hook up to my PC again and see if I can get any life out of it with DIS or INPA, or maybe I will have to learn to code after all......brrrrrr
any suggestions???
Old 04-14-2013, 05:33 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by cmyachtie
Looks I have done it now..., took out the cluster again as I realized that I did not follow the instructions correctly from AchtungE60 previously this time I actually locked the car up after removing the cluster,(last time I just let the car go to sleep w/o turning alarm on), left it overnight and re-installed it next day and I thought heh, this looks and sounds promising the cluster is not clicking away like it has rodents running around in it anymore (tick, tick, and the pointers on the speedo and tach did not move anymore) all seemed like it should be untill I turned the key.......nothing all is quiet and dark........in the cluster......
So I thought maybe a fuse, but no only sign of life is when I reinserted the fuse there seemed some noise from the cluster indicating it got power.

Will hook up to my PC again and see if I can get any life out of it with DIS or INPA, or maybe I will have to learn to code after all......brrrrrr
any suggestions???
Well, amazingly after trying to get the cluster to talk to me (or car), unplugged it again and had agood look at the pins to make sure the connector on reconnecting had not busted some and all looked OK, so I plugged it back in and whooo...she started making those clicking noises again indicating power was on.....

SOOO back to square one and still chasing the same cause, am beginning to suspect back connector and or pin in the cluster hookup, damn hard to see anything without getting some in there to enlarge the setup. and REALLY have a good look at it.
Old 04-15-2013, 01:58 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

hi. got your PM. sorry to hear you're still having troubles. i need to get more info from you for process of elimnation so i'll respond to your post later.
Old 04-17-2013, 04:23 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by AchtungE60
hi. got your PM. sorry to hear you're still having troubles. i need to get more info from you for process of elimnation so i'll respond to your post later.
Thanks, look forward to it,
I do have another question however to anyone about the cluster behavior upon wake up,

Do the gauges move ever so slightly and is there some clicking noise as the cluster "gets ready" before putting key ignition?

To see what I am talking about see the youtube video I posted right in the beginning of the video.

thanks
Old 07-24-2013, 05:00 AM
New Members

UPDATE.......

Finally yesterday (July 23rd) had an appt. with my local BMW dealer and had the whole car re-programmed, sofar cluster and everything has been behaving like it should, will be "DrÜcking die Daumen" for now to see if it sticks s from what I understand the PO had this done by them last year.
Now, I did find out out that the kombi and LMA both were apparently running with another (older) S/W version then they should as the whole car was up to date S/W wise.

Prior to that also replaced the alternator, just in case as I still was not happy about the voltage spikes it created (range of 12.7-15-4 volts during charging ), now it is more contained where the range should be I think. The cluster just got progressively worse as time passed where it was no to the point of constantly re-booting while driving.

Quick Reply: Instrument cluster rebooting while driving????