E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Installing jbl ms8 on hifi

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2014, 01:17 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 08 528i
Model Year: 2008

* PROBLEM *

currently have a problem, after all the connections were made, no sound out of the radio, tried many things and still no sound. I disconnected the MS8 and removed the pnp harness from the equation and back to OEM configuration, all I get is really deep base and hardly any highs, can barely hear voices. Posted a separate thread to debug.
Old 04-26-2014, 01:34 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: M3
Model Year: 2017

Originally Posted by justoracle
* PROBLEM *

currently have a problem, after all the connections were made, no sound out of the radio, tried many things and still no sound. I disconnected the MS8 and removed the pnp harness from the equation and back to OEM configuration, all I get is really deep base and hardly any highs, can barely hear voices. Posted a separate thread to debug.
There will be no sound until you go thru all the MS-8 settings and calibration.

Please follow the MS-8 install manual for the setting steps. Harness only takes care of the connections.
Old 04-26-2014, 06:18 PM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 530i N52
Model Year: 2006
Engine: n52

dear Technic..can u please tell US if u still sale this harness?

thx u
Old 04-27-2014, 05:22 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '07 525

I would like to purchase this harness also if still available.
Thanks
Old 04-28-2014, 05:48 PM
Members

One thing I would recommend to anyone interested in doing something similar is to test the wires and JBL MS8 DSP prior to full install. What I mean is once you've gotten to the Head Unit, install technic's harness to the back of the HU, run the speaker wires out the window (or however you can make them reach) and into the trunk, connect the OEM amplifier pnp harness and wire the rest to the JBL DSP. If all tests OK, disconnect all the wiring and do the proper install.

In my case I don't know what happened? I spent all my time routing all the wires how I wanted them installed, shoved the head unit back into its placed, no joke it took me almost 2 hours, there's just no room to have another harness, it's possible but it's no easy task.

The blue wire (remote in) is of importance along with the relay from the pnp, the relay protects the head unit from frying, something goes wrong with the relay, you could be out of a CCC, not sure if this is what happened in my case because the HU still operates fine so it's not fried, but there's no sound from the door speakers and rear shelf.

Last edited by justoracle; 04-28-2014 at 06:08 PM.
Old 04-29-2014, 03:05 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Technic
There will be no sound until you go thru all the MS-8 settings and calibration.

Please follow the MS-8 install manual for the setting steps. Harness only takes care of the connections.
To follow up on your suggestion, below are the steps in configuring the MS-8

IMPORTANT! The MS-8 will not pass an audio signal through to its outputs until
you have configured it according to the setup procedure described below.
The setup procedure consists of four main parts:

Language selection: You will select the language that the MS-8 will use on the display.
Input setup: The MS-8 will use the included setup CD to analyze and condition the input
signal for further processing.
Output setup: You will configure the crossover settings and identify the output channels.

I got to the first step fine, but when it got to step 2 (input setup) the remote display showed "Signal none" and could not get past this step.
Attached Thumbnails Installing jbl ms8 on hifi-photo.jpg  
Old 05-01-2014, 03:26 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2008 535i sport

To make sure your head unit is still working / outputting signal to your fronts, hook the front inputs from the technic harness to the front outputs from the technic harness. This will create a big wire loop putting you back to stock. Once confirmed that it works, reconnect to ms8 and restart the calibration. To get past the step you're on, you have to crank the head unit volume pretty high. There are 50 clicks on the volume nob so turn it up good during that step but don't forget to turn it down after.

Ms8 with a matching factory center works pretty well and really helps the factory mid bass when you configure them as subs. I ran into problems tuning it when I added aftermarket amps/ front stage. I ended up pulling it and going with audiocontrol dq-61.
Old 05-01-2014, 03:38 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2008 535i sport

Oh and be sure the track you're playing to calibrate actually works. It should sound like pink noise alternating back and forth from left and right speakers. Play it quietly on a different stereo to confirm it's working.
Old 05-05-2014, 09:31 AM
Members

At the moment I removed the MS-8 from the trunk and the quadralock wiring from the HU, just testing with the OEM configuration.

Took it to a local guy that did some coding for me about 2 years ago, he spent 2 hours looking for error codes from the CCC and nothing, he slicked and rebooted (?) the CCC to try to clear everything. Still no highs, just the subwoofers.

Going to replace the OEM amp, after almost 2 hours of searching he said he found an error from the OEM amp. Found an oem amp same year on ebay for $50 and should get it later this week. If that's not it, then the CCC module that outputs the highs is fried.
Old 05-05-2014, 12:59 PM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 530i N52
Model Year: 2006
Engine: n52

jesus ....what seems to be PNP...become a big project
GOOD LUCK..and let us know

Quick Reply: Installing jbl ms8 on hifi