E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Improving Sound Quality

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2005, 10:06 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Merzbow' date='May 28 2005, 12:57 AM
[quote name='acribb' date='May 27 2005, 10:01 PM']I decided to finally take some pictures and document to make this process to make this easier for everyone else.? It took some time and some careful research to figure this stuff out.? I put in the system myself - the work is not that difficult, once you know what's what.? The hardest part was splicing into the wires with a knife without cutting them in two.? Take a knife, carefully shave off some of the insulation, then twist your tap in wire to it, then tape it up.? You can also use tap-in connectors, but I didn't have any on hand at the time and I wanted to make sure I got a good, solid connection.? Later on, I can easily take out this whole system in a matter of minutes, and then tape up the wires I tapped into.? No holes drilled.? Nice and clean.
Nice... you are using a fuse/circuit breaker, right?
[snapback]133958[/snapback]
[/quote]

Yeah, there's a big fuse on the power wire going to the amp. It's at the beginning of the wire, right where it is connected at the battery. I used a standard 8 gauge Tsunami amp wiring kit.
Old 05-28-2005, 12:37 AM
Contributors

My Ride: MY RIDE is DA real .-) HAMANN 5 aka BLACK MAMBA born on 16/06/2005/delivered on 05/08/2005 as following: 530dA (steptronic), Black II (JET), leather Dakota auburn black, mapple trim, head-up display, dynamic drive, active steering, adaptive xenon headlights (auto levelling) with headlight washers, alarm, comfort seats with massage function, advanced A/C, big compartment armrest, aux-in, MP3, Logic 7, Radio PRO, CD in-dash+cd changer, power rear sunshades, rear airbags, park distance control, auto dimming folding mirrors, smoking package, shiny shadow line (individual), fold down rear seats, ski bag, sport suspension, run flats on �116-style� rims (Good Year NCT5+), cup holders, debadged, fire extinguishers, additional permanent power outlet, BMW coat hanger, trunk release button (installed by Hobi), GPS tracking device and a big thx 2 Iceman. Mods done: � Authentic HAMANN FRONT APRON Including ellipsoid fog lights Item-No.: 10 060 110 � Authentic HAMANN REAR SPOILER Item-No.: 10 060 130, � Authentic HAMANN HAMANN ALUMINIUM PEDALS For cars with manual gearbox Item-No.: 80 099 100 81,00 For cars with automatic transmission Item-No.: 80 099 120 � Authentic HAMANN FOOT REST In aluminium For left-hand drive vehicles Item No. : 80 099 122 � Authentic HAMANN HAND-BRAKE LEVER In aluminium For left- and right-hand drive cars Item No. : 80 099 216 � Authentic HAMANN Idrive of alu (sorry this is the only one in the World) but you can have it in carbon fiber , � Authentic HAMANN EXCLUSIVE FLOORMAT SET In black with HAMANN logo in silver For left-hand drive cars Item-No. : 80 060 120 For right-hand drive cars Item-No. : 80 060 � Authentic HAMANN COVER FOR OIL FILLER CAP In aluminium Item-No.: 80 099 117 � Authentic HAMANN SPORT REAR MUFFLER 4 TAILPIPES Sport rear muffler with four round stainless-steel tailpipes ( � 76mm ) Item-No.: 50 060 111 � Authentic HAMANN new add-on for M pack rear with diffusor for quad pipes -AVAILABLE NOW (http://forums.e60.net/index.php?act=ST&f=22&t=30630&st=0#entry332409) � ///M steering wheel w Pegasus logo (this will be also changed to three spoke sports) � ///M pack rear � HAMANN ECU upgrade 265 HP 608 Nm. most improtant: �real and working like a charm forumsbuy real LED tails and PIAA 4700k fogs!!! for HAMANN full front apron you need H3 � CustomAngels, Angel Eyes Brighter than stocks 10X, WHITE & (REd for shows). � Authentic HAMANN LIGHT-ALLOY WHEELS DESIGN EDITION RACE 20" Ultra-light forged 3-pieced light-alloy wheel, Cross-spoke-design,Spider in black, titanium, screwing,polished flange DIMENSIONS : 9.0 J x 20 FA Item No.: 91 207 315 10.5 J x 20 only RA Item No.: 91 207 625 Recommended 20" Complete Wheel Set DESIGN EDITION RACE I went with most aggressive Combination A.10 FA 9.0 J x 20 / RA 10.5 J x 20 with tires: FA 245/30 ZR 20 / RA 285/25 ZR 20 � Authentic HAMANN LOWERING KIT 4 progressive sport springs Lowering by approx. 40 mm FA, 20 mm RA Item-No.: 20 060 125 � Authentic HAMANN TIRE - PRESSURE CHECK SENSOR SYSTEM � Authentic HAMANN SIDE SILLS Item-No.: 10 060 120 � Authentic HAMANN REAL CF ROOF SPOLIER Item-No.: 10 060 235 � Authentic HAMANN AIRBAG SPORT STEERING WHEEL 3-SPOKE Three-spoke design w their SMG paddles (For assembly O.E. airbag in exchange) � Authentic HAMANN sports mirrors (all functions) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and of course !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! E60.net Clings Still to do list;-): � Our Hobi's camera system from : ww.switchchange.com). � Individual leather interior (auburn+auburn alcantara)... and drive with sheer drivin' pleasure ... until 2009/2010 F10 comes or E60 possibly a 540d V8 diesel early in 2009 badly juiced!

Originally Posted by Bimmer06530i' date='May 28 2005, 03:49 AM
[quote name='subterFUSE' date='May 27 2005, 08:10 PM']OEM system is by Harmon Kardon, which is a rather poor quality stereo company known more for home theater receivers than for car audio.? (Very crappy home theater.... the kind you buy at Circuit City)
[snapback]133931[/snapback]

I did not know that the standard system in the 5 Series was H/K. I do not necessarily disagree with you evaluation of the sound quality.

I thought the base sound system in the 5 Series was the same as the ?HiFi Sound Package? in Europe that most Europeans on this board like. The US dealer lit package for sales people said the standard stereo in the 5 Series was a 10 speaker system with two subwoofers. If the base US sound system has subwoofers I?ll eat my hat.

I however beg to differ on your characterization of Harmon/Kardon as a rather poor quality stereo company known more for home theater receivers than for car audio. (Very crappy home theater.... the kind you buy at Circuit City).

The H/K brand is from Harmon International who is Harman Kardon, JBL, Infinity, Revel, Audioaccess, Lexicon, Mark Levinson, Madrigal Imaging and Proceed names.

Harmon is the largest audio manufacture of car audio. Of the major car manufacturers other than GM and Nissan, and manufactures using Bose, H/K between either designing, making, or licensing their various company names owns the OEM car audio business.

I don?t want to take away from the likes of Yamaha, Denon, or Onkyo but as to H/K audio equipment, I can assure you in terms of solid state audio equipment, the characteristics an audiophile looks to in specs in terms of rise time, power, square wave response, and ultimately sound quality, H/K best them all.
[snapback]133940[/snapback]
[/quote]
Yeah, maybe sum dunno HK is one of the best even if bro of ML in the Lexuses, HK kicks a$$ man, I have my home system as the L7 is awesome in the e60, so my laptop has also soundstcik HK 2.1 and kicks more bass then my 500w THX system, almost

why is it if in the US you dunno sg then it is imediately cheap???!!!

Harman Kardon is BEST!!!
Old 05-28-2005, 02:53 AM
Senior Members

The weakest link to the sound quality of the E60 is the minute size of the door speaker. No matter how good your amps and speakers are, there will always be a lack of sweet mid-range. I had installed 6.5" and cut an opening on the door panel.
Old 05-28-2005, 04:10 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

I don?t want to take away from the likes of Yamaha, Denon, or Onkyo but as to H/K audio equipment, I can assure you in terms of solid state audio equipment, the characteristics an audiophile looks to in specs in terms of rise time, power, square wave response, and ultimately sound quality, H/K best them all.

Harmon Kardon makes freaking RECEIVERS... that alone says volumes about the poor quality. And I'm not comparing it to Yamaha, or the others you mention. They make receivers too.

High-end audio uses separate components, not receivers. (Preamp separate from power amp) Harmon Kardon is a brand sold at Circuit City. It might be among the higher quality brands sold at Circuit City.... but it's SOLD AT CIRCUIT CITY. That says volumes too.

Go to a high-end audio shop, and check out some serious home theater gear sometime.

Examples: Krell preamps & power amps. Rotel is also nice.
B&W loudspeakers, Totem loudspeakers, or M&K loudspeakers

THOSE are high-end brands. Harmon Kardon is junk by comparison.

The difference is.... Harmon Kardon is a highly recognised brand name, so people know the label and THINK it's high quality. The same is true of Bose. It's a company that markets itself as high-end.... when the truth is it's nothing close.

That's why BMW uses these brands. The name recognition helps them upsell more people. The quality of the equipment has almost no bearing at all.

Have any of you seen pictures of the new Infinity cars with Bose audio that has speakers built into the tops of the seats? This is a perfect example. Bose & Infinity are doing that as a ploy to sell more Premium Audio packages.... it has nothing to do with improved sound quality. In fact, if you're an audiophile, the very concept of adding speakers directly on your seat by your ears is simply laughable. But audio quality isn't the goal. The goal is to trick people who don't know any better into thinking "Man, that car is cool because it's got speakers in the seats..... wow... I need that car man."
Old 05-28-2005, 09:23 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i, Orient Blue, Black Interior, Sport Package, Satellite

Acribb --- great description and photos. MANY THANKS!
Old 05-28-2005, 01:04 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 545i, Olivin Green, w/Sports Package, basic stereo, chrome wheels, tinted windows, Bluetooth enabled with Moto V710 (Verizon), Sirius Sat Radio (aftermarket), Auxiliary Input for Ipod.

Thanks for the photos/directions. It looks like this is a job for the pros not an amateur like me.
Old 05-29-2005, 03:26 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

Had to have a 200 Amp Circuit Breaker in my Lexus.

Never use fuses.... they are a pain in the ass if you blow one. Circuit breaker is just a flip of a switch.
Old 05-29-2005, 06:20 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by teriyaki88' date='May 28 2005, 04:04 PM
Thanks for the photos/directions. It looks like this is a job for the pros not an amateur like me.
[snapback]134110[/snapback]
It's really pretty easy. I did have Sound Advice carpet the box for me, only because I couldn't get the carpet locally, and for the price to buy it online and ship it, I could just add a few more bucks and get it done without having to mess with it. You also get the satisfaction of knowing you did the job right without taking shortcuts or scratching things up. The great thing is that I can easily take this setup out, so when I sell the car, it will only take 5 minutes to remove. The box is not screwed down to the car - it is so heavy that it doesn't even move, even with aggressive driving and cornering.
Old 05-29-2005, 10:13 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545i Sport Auto (see sig)

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' date='May 29 2005, 04:26 AM
Had to have a 200 Amp Circuit Breaker in my Lexus.

Never use fuses.... they are a pain in the ass if you blow one. Circuit breaker is just a flip of a switch.
[snapback]134229[/snapback]
They put a 140-amp breaker in mine... haven't tripped it yet. It's really hard to crank the mids and highs to distortion level without going deaf in my setup, so I'm probably only using 50% of these amps' RMS power most of the time. The subs are addictive though, on rap and techno I tend to crank them all the way. If I had 2000 into the subs instead of 1000 there's no way the E60's alt could keep up with me.