E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Improving Sound Quality

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2005, 09:04 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 BMW 545i, Olivin Green, w/Sports Package, basic stereo, chrome wheels, tinted windows, Bluetooth enabled with Moto V710 (Verizon), Sirius Sat Radio (aftermarket), Auxiliary Input for Ipod.

I'm not too happy with my stereo in the 2004 545i. Its just "OK". I do not have Logic 7.
What do you think is the best way to improve the sound in my car?
Replace the existing speakers? Who makes the stock speakers?
Is it easy to swap out speakers/DYI? I've done it in my other cars before.
Get an Amp (without voiding my warranty)?

I've seen custom installs and I do not want to spend $10K just to improve my sound. I will spend some $$ but THAT much.

Any recommendation would be appreciated.
Teriyaki
Old 05-26-2005, 09:09 AM
Contributors

I'm in for this as well, but all the threads I've seen so far look like fairly drastic upgrades...

james
Old 05-26-2005, 09:58 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545i Sport Auto (see sig)

Originally Posted by teriyaki88' date='May 26 2005, 10:04 AM
I'm not too happy with my stereo in the 2004 545i.? Its just "OK". I do not have Logic 7.
What do you think is the best way to improve the sound in my car??
Replace the existing speakers? Who makes the stock speakers?
Is it easy to swap out speakers/DYI? I've done it in my other cars before.
Get an Amp (without voiding my warranty)?

I've seen custom installs and I do not want to spend $10K just to improve my sound.? I will spend some $$ but THAT much.

Any recommendation would be appreciated.
Teriyaki
[snapback]133424[/snapback]
You are going to need to spend at least $5k IMHO. Why? The least you can do to improve the sound is add new amps and speakers, and even if you go for mid-range equipment and skip the rear stage labor costs are going to be high because they have to run the factory amp output into a LOC, then into your amps. Plus only an expert audio installer with extensive experience on high-end cars is even going to touch your E60, and they don't run cheap. My system is now over $12k and will be approaching competition quality when we get done tuning it (I'm having them add an extra aux input to bypass the LOC for even more sound quality). This isn't a Civic - if you want to be satisfied with your system, I suggesting budgeting for $8k.
Old 05-26-2005, 10:03 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think all I need is just a little more bass and treble. Any more suggestion?
Old 05-26-2005, 10:17 AM
Senior Members

I don't agree that you need to spend $5k.

Why not use an LOC($50 or less - basic quality), run some decent amps $500 - alpine or equivalent. Some $300 Bostons components.

I guess the problem is that you would want 2 subs ($400), an amp for them ($300) and that you have so many speakers to replace.

At 10 speakers and a minimum of $100 a piece and another $100 each for amps - you can get by for $2500-$3000. I would think that $500 for labor is reasonable and $1000 for amps and $1000 for speakers. Another $200 for cables and LOC.

Either way - it is a good deal of money.
Old 05-26-2005, 10:54 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

Just be careful choosing where to get install done.

You're driving an expensive car, and most audio shops are operated by people who couldn't afford to drive what you do if they saved what they could for a decade.

It's really funny...... There are so many people who want better audio than the E60 can offer.... and it is completely within the power of BMW to have a better system manufactured into their cars.... and we would pay for it..... but they don't, so we can't.... and we're forced to have high-school drop-outs hack into our cars instead.
Old 05-26-2005, 07:15 PM
Senior Members

The other crazy thing is that they could offer a retrofit of a better audio swap out (like replacement with the logic 7), but they don't :'(
Old 05-26-2005, 07:23 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2015 535D M Sport

Look into adding an Infiniti BassLink subwoofer. I put one in the trunk of my 528 and it improved bass response considerably. I wired it myself, but if that is not an option for you, you can get a stereo shop to install it. I paid around $200 on the web, but I've seen them for more than twice that, so shop around.
Old 05-26-2005, 08:42 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Now Driving a Freakin' Prius! Was... 2004 545i | SMG | White/Black | Sport | NAV | Logic 7 | PDC | Fold-down Seats | Adaptive Headlights | Cold Weather Pkg | Clear-again Bra | Mud Flaps | Bluetooth | Coat Hangar | Aux Input | All Weather Mats | 18"X8.5" BBS RK w/ Michelin Pilot Alpin's (winter) | New steering rack @ 1.2K & 17K miles| Software V.19.1 | B&B Exhaust (vrrrroooooommm!) <---Click.

Have you tried playing with the EQ?

I've ripped apart many a car in my day looking for the ultimate audio experience (is IASCA still alive?) and I've found the Logic7 to be pretty darn good. You won't get 10/10ths out of it (but if you are looking for it, that last 2/10ths will cost you plenty).

I guess it really depends on what music you listen to and how loud you listen to it.
Old 05-27-2005, 05:46 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

The subwoofers are really not the problem with the Logic 7. The bass response is actually pretty good.... especially for OEM.

The problem is that the Logic 7 processing is required to achieve decent soundstage imaging.... but the Logic 7 processing causes serious distortion which can be heard constantly. It drives me nuts.... but I can't bear to listen without the Logic 7 turned on.

I also listen to my music very loud.... so that's a big problem too.

Quick Reply: Improving Sound Quality