E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

I'm sick of Japanese cars and my friend!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2005, 03:47 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2011 F10 535i -Brilliant Graphite/Oyster 2006 E5004matic- I must have been on drugs when I got this car 2004 545i Black Sapphire/Truffle Brown interior

As a convert from Japanese ( Infiniti) cars I can make this post real long but instead I will keep it retricted to 2 points.

(1) I have come to realize that automotive journalist have a different agenda
than truly determining what is really the best out there. Notwithstanding the
the fact that in most cases their salaries are indirectly paid for by the very manufacturers that they are mandated to write unbiased reviews about but also in many instances it is the same story about the shoemakers kids that wear the
worst shoes.

(2) Instead of getting into a war of words with your buddy, why don't you just
do the obvious, lend him your E60. If this does not shut him up, then give
up because there is no other way to win him over.
Old 05-03-2005, 04:19 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by gabman' date='May 3 2005, 07:47 AM
(2) Instead of getting into a war of words with your buddy, why don't you just
? ? do the obvious, lend him your E60. If this does not shut him up, then give
? ? up because there is no other way to win him over.
[snapback]123344[/snapback]
I say give up. Giving him your car will not change his opinion because to him, it's all about justification of his own decision to buy something. Unless he's going to be buying an E60, he'll never admit that it's the better car...

Just. Give. Up!
Old 05-03-2005, 04:57 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Arrived 3 June 2005: 2005 545i - Orient Blue, Black interior, Sport, Steptronic, Cold Weather, NAV, Sirius, Logic7, Comfort Seats, Sunshades. What a glorious ride!

The bottom line for me is that for 50-60 large you are going to get a pretty doggone good automobile no matter what you buy. What is "best" is very dependent upon the priorities of the individual. That might be German (BMW or M-, Japanese (Lexus, Acura, or Infiniti), or even American (Caddy). Some might even argue for British (Jag)! For me, of course, the choice was easy - the 545i Sport. But if the car was unavailable with the V8, or unavailable with the Sport package, I'd probably have ended up with the Acura RL.

With all that being said, I think the Japanese have some worries coming from Korea. I drove a rental Hyundai Sonata a couple weeks ago. When I saw the car I was very disappointed with the rental company's offering. However, after driving it a couple thousand miles my opinion was very different. Not a bad car at all, and quite competitive with the Accord. Interior fitments were still not up to the Honda standard, but they are getting better all the time. And the handling was at the highest level for a routine family sedan.
Old 05-03-2005, 06:09 AM
RAI
Members

If you wanna' see a great test article, go to windingroad.com. See the URL listed below:'

http://www.windingroad.com/back_issues.php

Go to issue number one, and check out the test entitled "Nine Sedan Comparison". It's a great article, and, of course, the E60 wins. It has some great verbage too. A great read!
Old 05-03-2005, 06:27 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by RAI' date='May 3 2005, 10:09 AM
If you wanna' see a great test article, go to windingroad.com.? See the URL listed below:'

Go to issue number one, and check out the test entitled "Nine Sedan Comparison".? It's a great article, and, of course, the E60 wins.? It has some great verbage too.? A great read!
[snapback]123382[/snapback]
Thanks for the link!

Here's a downloadable copy of just the sedan test from Winding Road magazine:
WindingRoad_Issue1_Sedan_Test.pdf
Old 05-03-2005, 07:04 AM
Contributors

My Ride: MY RIDE is DA real .-) HAMANN 5 aka BLACK MAMBA born on 16/06/2005/delivered on 05/08/2005 as following: 530dA (steptronic), Black II (JET), leather Dakota auburn black, mapple trim, head-up display, dynamic drive, active steering, adaptive xenon headlights (auto levelling) with headlight washers, alarm, comfort seats with massage function, advanced A/C, big compartment armrest, aux-in, MP3, Logic 7, Radio PRO, CD in-dash+cd changer, power rear sunshades, rear airbags, park distance control, auto dimming folding mirrors, smoking package, shiny shadow line (individual), fold down rear seats, ski bag, sport suspension, run flats on �116-style� rims (Good Year NCT5+), cup holders, debadged, fire extinguishers, additional permanent power outlet, BMW coat hanger, trunk release button (installed by Hobi), GPS tracking device and a big thx 2 Iceman. Mods done: � Authentic HAMANN FRONT APRON Including ellipsoid fog lights Item-No.: 10 060 110 � Authentic HAMANN REAR SPOILER Item-No.: 10 060 130, � Authentic HAMANN HAMANN ALUMINIUM PEDALS For cars with manual gearbox Item-No.: 80 099 100 81,00 For cars with automatic transmission Item-No.: 80 099 120 � Authentic HAMANN FOOT REST In aluminium For left-hand drive vehicles Item No. : 80 099 122 � Authentic HAMANN HAND-BRAKE LEVER In aluminium For left- and right-hand drive cars Item No. : 80 099 216 � Authentic HAMANN Idrive of alu (sorry this is the only one in the World) but you can have it in carbon fiber , � Authentic HAMANN EXCLUSIVE FLOORMAT SET In black with HAMANN logo in silver For left-hand drive cars Item-No. : 80 060 120 For right-hand drive cars Item-No. : 80 060 � Authentic HAMANN COVER FOR OIL FILLER CAP In aluminium Item-No.: 80 099 117 � Authentic HAMANN SPORT REAR MUFFLER 4 TAILPIPES Sport rear muffler with four round stainless-steel tailpipes ( � 76mm ) Item-No.: 50 060 111 � Authentic HAMANN new add-on for M pack rear with diffusor for quad pipes -AVAILABLE NOW (http://forums.e60.net/index.php?act=ST&f=22&t=30630&st=0#entry332409) � ///M steering wheel w Pegasus logo (this will be also changed to three spoke sports) � ///M pack rear � HAMANN ECU upgrade 265 HP 608 Nm. most improtant: �real and working like a charm forumsbuy real LED tails and PIAA 4700k fogs!!! for HAMANN full front apron you need H3 � CustomAngels, Angel Eyes Brighter than stocks 10X, WHITE & (REd for shows). � Authentic HAMANN LIGHT-ALLOY WHEELS DESIGN EDITION RACE 20" Ultra-light forged 3-pieced light-alloy wheel, Cross-spoke-design,Spider in black, titanium, screwing,polished flange DIMENSIONS : 9.0 J x 20 FA Item No.: 91 207 315 10.5 J x 20 only RA Item No.: 91 207 625 Recommended 20" Complete Wheel Set DESIGN EDITION RACE I went with most aggressive Combination A.10 FA 9.0 J x 20 / RA 10.5 J x 20 with tires: FA 245/30 ZR 20 / RA 285/25 ZR 20 � Authentic HAMANN LOWERING KIT 4 progressive sport springs Lowering by approx. 40 mm FA, 20 mm RA Item-No.: 20 060 125 � Authentic HAMANN TIRE - PRESSURE CHECK SENSOR SYSTEM � Authentic HAMANN SIDE SILLS Item-No.: 10 060 120 � Authentic HAMANN REAL CF ROOF SPOLIER Item-No.: 10 060 235 � Authentic HAMANN AIRBAG SPORT STEERING WHEEL 3-SPOKE Three-spoke design w their SMG paddles (For assembly O.E. airbag in exchange) � Authentic HAMANN sports mirrors (all functions) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and of course !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! E60.net Clings Still to do list;-): � Our Hobi's camera system from : ww.switchchange.com). � Individual leather interior (auburn+auburn alcantara)... and drive with sheer drivin' pleasure ... until 2009/2010 F10 comes or E60 possibly a 540d V8 diesel early in 2009 badly juiced!

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='May 3 2005, 03:27 PM
[quote name='RAI' date='May 3 2005, 10:09 AM']If you wanna' see a great test article, go to windingroad.com.? See the URL listed below:'

Go to issue number one, and check out the test entitled "Nine Sedan Comparison".? It's a great article, and, of course, the E60 wins.? It has some great verbage too.? A great read!
[snapback]123382[/snapback]
Thanks for the link!

Here's a downloadable copy of just the sedan test from Winding Road magazine:
Attachment 7259

edit: updated the attachment -- original was missing page 1...
[snapback]123388[/snapback]
[/quote]

Thx Rudy, of course that is why we all bought and will buy it

what else anybody expected?
Old 05-03-2005, 07:27 AM
Members

My Ride: 545i, Steptronic, coldweather, comfort seats, Logic 7, front/rear seat heaters, navigation. sirius

Why don't you just let him read this article, subtley point out that Acura doesn't even make a car that could be compared fairly then point out this quote:

"A quick glance at the results shows they traded points back and forth, the 545i edging the M45 in some areas, the Infiniti fighting back in others. The performance ratings are nearly dead even, while on the subjective side, the BMW pulls ahead in the driving-related categories only to lose ground for it's styling, comfort and ergonomics. That said, the 545i remains the enthusiast's choice for any kind of serious road work. Of our three, it's still the fastest, best handling and most satisfying car to drive. But with cars like the Infiniti M45 offering a more balanced sport/luxury solution for less money, being fastest is no longer enough."

Might be a bit much to point out that every one knows chicks dig BMWs more than Acuras... Nah, say that too!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
comparo.pdf (1.18 MB, 179 views)
Old 05-03-2005, 07:41 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

If you want to shut your friend up, ask him which one he'd rather pick up a date in.
Old 05-03-2005, 07:50 AM
Members

Dont take him for real... Belive me, at night, he is dreaming that he is driving BMW
Old 05-03-2005, 08:55 AM
Senior Members

Check out the latest issue of R&T, they rate the 545 2nd after the M45, but ahead of the RL. Everyone agrees the 545 is the best 'drivers car', and that should tell you all you need to know. BMW's are driver's cars, they can't compete with the Japanese on reliability or 'high tech goodies'. But if you want the best car to drive, it's the 545, no doubt.

I think it's interesting that people try to say a car is 'better' than another. That's like saying one person is 'better' than another. Unless you're comparing an absolute scumbag to a saint, it really comes down to what you think is important.

Quick Reply: I'm sick of Japanese cars and my friend!!!