E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

I'm sick of Japanese cars and my friend!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2005, 06:48 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2010 750Li M sport

Originally Posted by wolverine' date='May 3 2005, 06:33 PM
[quote name='BurgessMW' date='May 3 2005, 05:34 PM'][quote name='wolverine' date='May 3 2005, 11:55 AM']Check out the latest issue of R&T, they rate the 545 2nd after the M45, but ahead of the RL.? Everyone agrees the 545 is the best 'drivers car', and that should tell you all you need to know.? BMW's are driver's cars, they can't compete with the Japanese on reliability or 'high tech goodies'.? But if you want the best car to drive, it's the 545, no doubt.

I think it's interesting that people try to say a car is 'better' than another.? That's like saying one person is 'better' than another.? Unless you're comparing an absolute scumbag to a saint, it really comes down to what you think is important.
[snapback]123441[/snapback]
I believe the third car in that R&T comparo was a Lexus GS430, not an Acura RL.
[snapback]123621[/snapback]
[/quote]

There were 5 or six cars in the comparo, Acura, Lexus, Audi, Jag, BMW, Infiniti, maybe a couple others. The 545 finished 2nd.
[snapback]123630[/snapback]
[/quote]

He's referring to the most recent R&T dated June 2005. They tested the 545i, infinity M45 and Lexus GS 430. They placed M45 number 1 and the 545 2nd with the M45 getting the nudge due to styling and not performance. The Lexus was a distant 3rd. R&T acknowledged that "As a pure sports sedan, the BMW still takes top honors. It remains the true driver's car, delivering the tightest handling, the most direct feedback and the biggest smiles." They go on to say "But, throw subjective factors like styling, ride and interior functionality into the equation, and the negatives end up chipping away at the positives."

Another quote. "Our blasts through Death Valley confirm this, the Infiniti cornering confidently with out ever losing ground to the BMW. It still lacks the 545i's trademark handling crispness and communicative steering feel, but it's by no means far behind."

Another good quote, "Even without the adaptive shocks of the GS 430 or the rear active steer of the M45 sport, the 545i still manages to school them both with well-executed chassis tuning and just a touch of its own high-tech wizardry." The wizardry being active steering and active roll stabilization. The writers actually seem to like active steering now.

Its the Bimmer for me. Who cares about the styling, its the way it drives that matters the most to me. I like the styling. Thats my opinion. Like many more here have said, its a personal opinion and I personally would not get the satisfaction out of the other cars compared to what BMW offers and I drive an e39, not an e60. I would not drive the other cars or one of the Jap cars as earier mentioned unless I did not have the means to afford the Bimmer. I am sure that one day as I am older, much, much older, I may prefer the soft luxury of the Lexus instead of the Bimmer. Nahhh! I can't wait to get my 550i.
Old 05-03-2005, 07:08 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by markt540i' date='May 3 2005, 06:48 PM
BMW still takes top honors. It remains the true driver's car, delivering the tightest handling, the most direct feedback and the biggest smiles."

It still lacks the 545i's trademark handling crispness and communicative steering feel, but it's by no means far behind."

The wizardry being active steering and active roll stabilization. The writers actually seem to like active steering now.

[snapback]123690[/snapback]

I was going to say... doesnt the 545 HAVE AS??? and they still said that it had better steering than the M45 and Lexus? Well thats actually a fact. I drove the M45 and its a wonderful car but I still didnt like the Steering feel as much as the 545's Active Steering... way too much effort in parking lot situations and less road feel. EVEN at low speed.
Old 05-04-2005, 03:33 AM
Members

My Ride: 545i Sport; sapphire black metallic; comfort; nav; sirius; split-folding rear; auto

I have found that at the end of the day, the owners of the Japanese luxury cars have succumbed to a practicality that they just won't admit. And they spend all of their time trying to justify their purchase without admitting that in reality, the cost and maintence issues drove their decision. Take for example, my father-in-law. A dyed-in-the-wool German car enthusiast who has owned many BMW's and MB's over the years. This year he bought an Infiniti GS35 for his wife. Hasn't shut up about how much 'better' it is than any German car (even as he still drives a CLK320). Even had the audactiy to say it should be classed the same as an E or a 5-Series, in his painfully obvious attempt to make himself feel better about his 'step down' in car choice. Then he drove my new 545i. He hasn't said much of anything about either car since then, other than how cheap his lease is. So my advice is don't even bother responding to the Japanese car touting person - they are suffering from something far deeper than car misinformation - they are in denial that they have become the luxury car equivalent of K-mart shoppers. Pity them.
Old 05-04-2005, 04:03 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 BMW545i; Orient Blue with tan interior; Steptronic, Sports package, BBS RK 18" wheels; cold weather package; Logic 7
Arrow

Originally Posted by markt540i' date='May 3 2005, 08:48 PM
[quote name='wolverine' date='May 3 2005, 06:33 PM'][quote name='BurgessMW' date='May 3 2005, 05:34 PM'][quote name='wolverine' date='May 3 2005, 11:55 AM']Check out the latest issue of R&T, they rate the 545 2nd after the M45, but ahead of the RL.? Everyone agrees the 545 is the best 'drivers car', and that should tell you all you need to know.? BMW's are driver's cars, they can't compete with the Japanese on reliability or 'high tech goodies'.? But if you want the best car to drive, it's the 545, no doubt.

I think it's interesting that people try to say a car is 'better' than another.? That's like saying one person is 'better' than another.? Unless you're comparing an absolute scumbag to a saint, it really comes down to what you think is important.
[snapback]123441[/snapback]
I believe the third car in that R&T comparo was a Lexus GS430, not an Acura RL.
[snapback]123621[/snapback]
[/quote]

There were 5 or six cars in the comparo, Acura, Lexus, Audi, Jag, BMW, Infiniti, maybe a couple others. The 545 finished 2nd.
[snapback]123630[/snapback]
[/quote]

He's referring to the most recent R&T dated June 2005. They tested the 545i, infinity M45 and Lexus GS 430. They placed M45 number 1 and the 545 2nd with the M45 getting the nudge due to styling and not performance. The Lexus was a distant 3rd. R&T acknowledged that "As a pure sports sedan, the BMW still takes top honors. It remains the true driver's car, delivering the tightest handling, the most direct feedback and the biggest smiles." They go on to say "But, throw subjective factors like styling, ride and interior functionality into the equation, and the negatives end up chipping away at the positives."

Another quote. "Our blasts through Death Valley confirm this, the Infiniti cornering confidently with out ever losing ground to the BMW. It still lacks the 545i's trademark handling crispness and communicative steering feel, but it's by no means far behind."

Another good quote, "Even without the adaptive shocks of the GS 430 or the rear active steer of the M45 sport, the 545i still manages to school them both with well-executed chassis tuning and just a touch of its own high-tech wizardry." The wizardry being active steering and active roll stabilization. The writers actually seem to like active steering now.

Its the Bimmer for me. Who cares about the styling, its the way it drives that matters the most to me. I like the styling. Thats my opinion. Like many more here have said, its a personal opinion and I personally would not get the satisfaction out of the other cars compared to what BMW offers and I drive an e39, not an e60. I would not drive the other cars or one of the Jap cars as earier mentioned unless I did not have the means to afford the Bimmer. I am sure that one day as I am older, much, much older, I may prefer the soft luxury of the Lexus instead of the Bimmer. Nahhh! I can't wait to get my 550i.
[snapback]123690[/snapback]
[/quote]
The Car Magazines are so inconsistent in their review process, that who cares what they write. The June issue of R & T's sister publication "Speed", reviewed the same cars (and also the Chrysler Hemi, Cadillac SVT and Audi A6 4.2) and ranked the Infiniti M45 in dead last! The BMW finished mid-pack, but ahead of both Japanese cars. How serious can you take a magazine that ranks the Cadillac and Chrysler ahead of the 545i <_< ? An interesting note - they clocked a manual 545i at 5.5 sec 0 -60mph, whereas a Steptronic 545i was timed at 5.2 seconds.
Old 05-04-2005, 04:05 AM
Members

My Ride: 545i, Steptronic, coldweather, comfort seats, Logic 7, front/rear seat heaters, navigation. sirius

Originally Posted by jlgnyc11' date='May 4 2005, 06:33 AM
...Even had the audactiy to say it should be classed the same as an E or a 5-Series, in his painfully obvious attempt to make himself feel better about his 'step down' in car choice.? Then he drove my new 545i.? He hasn't said much of anything about either car since then, other than how cheap his lease is.
[snapback]123810[/snapback]
I own an Infiniti G35 Coupe...

The G35 is a very nice vehicle and I enjoy driving it very much. I've no regrets whatsoever about the purchase. Having said that, G35 and E60 should not even be discussed in the same conversation. They are truly that far apart. Absolutely no comparison whatsoever, period. 3 series maybe but 5 series, just say no!
Old 05-04-2005, 04:25 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

Originally Posted by saurabh' date='May 2 2005, 05:56 PM
Okay...now i need all you guys to help me out on this.? I have a friend who cherishes Acura? ? and pretty much all japanese cars.? Since the time I got my 545i last year, every month or so he would tell me about him seeing an article in Car & Driver about how BMW got rated low compared to Acura, and how Japanese is soo much better and blah blah blah.? I kept on listening to him as I thought if I like my BMW then I don't care what anyone thinks.? But today was the last draw....he kept on bringing up the topic of how Lexus GS430, Infinity M, and the Acura RL beat BMW 530i in overall rating by one of the major car magazines.? Now i know 530i i probably not up to par with the GS or the M but its close enough.? He kept on raving how BMW wasn't in the top 3.?

I need YOUR help in finding ANY articles online (as many as possible) that compares these new cars and where BMW has a higher rating.? I so desperatly need to shut him up.? HELP?
[snapback]123118[/snapback]

1)
How about this, here in Europe, Japanese cars are mostly used as low end reliable cars (for women, young students, etc) Anyways all the ranking and car magazine test done in higher class cars, never include Japanese cars. Here in Europe it is always the GErman top 3 is the German top 3 (BMW, AUdi, BM).

Tell your friend do not compare uncomparable.

2)
Also one must know that ranking in car magazine does not mean anything. The criteria they used are very wide, they compare performance on one side and size of the AC button on the other side.

Also one fact: The purchase price of new BMW and new Lexxus might be the same but what about the price after 3 or 5 year???? BMW price will be twice as much higher !!!!!! What does it tell you............................................... .................. BMW
Old 05-04-2005, 12:39 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 545i, Olivin Green, w/Sports Package, basic stereo, chrome wheels, tinted windows, Bluetooth enabled with Moto V710 (Verizon), Sirius Sat Radio (aftermarket), Auxiliary Input for Ipod.

"BMW, AUdi, BM."

I bet Porche owners would disagree with your assement.
Old 05-04-2005, 12:55 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 "Stripper" Now C6 "Stripper"
Exclamation

Why not pay a little more than Japanese and get Filet Mignon or Porterhouse (BMW)!?

Not that i would, but who would trade in their 545i for a new M45 not me buddy!

With BMW you never have to explain or prove yourself to anyone, it's a BMW worldwide. The M45 on the other hand is still a Nissan in other parts of the world.
Old 05-05-2005, 08:16 PM
Senior Members

most of the time people having this kind of comments are straight jealous <_<. nothing else. try park two cars together and see which one has a thumbs up . try go to a club with these two cars and see which one attracts more chicks . i'm not saying you have to do this and i think it's kind of immature. but i think your friend has to see some living proofs in order to shut up. oh, well, he'll probably have something else to say after .
Old 05-05-2005, 08:26 PM
Members

twice as much??? I don't think so....

Originally Posted by Peter530i' date='May 4 2005, 07:25 AM
Also one fact: The purchase price of new BMW and new Lexxus might be the same but what about the price after 3 or 5 year???? BMW price will be twice as much higher !!!!!! What does it tell you............................................... ..................? ? ? BMW ?
[snapback]123826[/snapback]

Quick Reply: I'm sick of Japanese cars and my friend!!!