E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

IIHS side-impact crash tests for E60 LCI

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 07:42 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: -04 530D

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='464039' date='Aug 30 2007, 05:37 AM
Clearly a PR nightmare for BMW. They spend so much time, effort and money to make a safe car and up until now, independent testing has usually validated these efforts.

Unfortunately, there are so many variables in a crash that sometimes luck is on your side and sometimes it's not.

Sure, BMW will be cutting and pasting their position on the crashes in message boards like this one for some damage control -- it's a necessary step. It'll be interesting to see if there is some sort of "re-test" or further crash testing to see if those test results were an anomaly or if there is truly something that needs additional attention from BMW engineers.

I'm confident in the brand and their commitment to safety and I'm certainly going to continue to drive my car but I do think there needs to be some additional efforts to prove once and for all that there isn't something inherently unsafe about the E60...

Sorry to point it out again, Rudy, but this is like an ECHO from the past! I don't think You would take that Asian made (earlier) even it has better result? Why nobody talk Porche, Lambo or Ferrari tests?

Skaffa
Old 08-29-2007, 09:22 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by skaffa' post='464053' date='Aug 29 2007, 11:42 PM
Sorry to point it out again, Rudy, but this is like an ECHO from the past! I don't think You would take that Asian made (earlier) even it has better result? Why nobody talk Porche, Lambo or Ferrari tests?

Skaffa
I'm not sure I'm following what you're saying. My point was that I still have faith and confidence in my BMW and don't have faith or confidence in the Asian brand that scored higher on the crash test.

In my opinion, I think that these inexpensive Asian "knock-offs" that copy other car designs are just that, inexpensive copies. You get what you pay for and I truly believe that BMW, M-B, Volvo, etc. spend countless R&D dollars that focus on safety and crash testing. I don't believe the same committment exists with the cheap copies. I have no way to prove it but I wouldn't be surprised if these copies are somehow reinforced only in the areas that are known to be crash tested just so they can earn a high score on the various 'standard' tests. I've driven some of these cars and I clearly don't feel as safe as I do when driving my BMW...
Old 08-30-2007, 11:39 PM
Contributors

My Ride: -04 530D

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='464071' date='Aug 30 2007, 08:22 AM
I'm not sure I'm following what you're saying. My point was that I still have faith and confidence in my BMW and don't have faith or confidence in the Asian brand that scored higher on the crash test.

I've driven some of these cars and I clearly don't feel as safe as I do when driving my BMW...
I hear You... but... I just get the feeling that people give too much weigh to these LABORATORY tests. Maybe I read You wrong but like Iceman last time had doupts, You seem to have them too. Maybe it's just a languake barrier? OR maybe I'm just plain old STUPID?

BMW is NOT Ferrari, but high end personal carrier who have to live in market economy and in market economy if one want to grow, has to sell more or more expensive. And to make that You need good reputation! False or true, but object what one try to sale has have to have that something good or "good" to stand out from masses.

Fred M maybe can answer, did these tests had any impact last time or now to the sales figures. Or is it only media who make it look big thing? Do people buy BMW because it's safe or fast or reliable (?) or because they WANT BMW? Any studys about who we are?

Skaffa

PS Friday, You know and I'm waiting to fly home
Old 08-31-2007, 05:47 AM
Senior Members

My $.02 - feeling safe in a car has nothing to do with being safe. Most people feel safe in their SUV's - in fact that is a prime selling point. This "feeling" has little to do with reality (although it has some as mass does offer a safety benefit when hitting another vehicle). I suspect we might feel safe in an E60 because there is a solid sound when the door closes, no rattles when hitting bumps, good sound isolation, a solid brake pedal feel, even a firm supportive seat. None of these things have to do with real safety.

The fact of the matter is that BMW built using more aluminum - particularly in the front - to save weight. The 5 series is much lighter than similarly sized cars. There may be a penatly to this when it comes to safety.

I am amazed at the faith in BMW that is evident in this thread. Crash tests don't matter because we know that BMW is safe. German engineers are smarter than Asian engineers. BMW's have always been very safe. Fact is - the only objective comparison tests we have show that the e60 is less safe than comparable cars. The tests might be a load of crap but they might not be.....
Old 08-31-2007, 10:29 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by 300TTto545' post='464523' date='Aug 31 2007, 06:47 AM
My $.02 - feeling safe in a car has nothing to do with being safe. Most people feel safe in their SUV's - in fact that is a prime selling point. This "feeling" has little to do with reality (although it has some as mass does offer a safety benefit when hitting another vehicle). I suspect we might feel safe in an E60 because there is a solid sound when the door closes, no rattles when hitting bumps, good sound isolation, a solid brake pedal feel, even a firm supportive seat. None of these things have to do with real safety.

The fact of the matter is that BMW built using more aluminum - particularly in the front - to save weight. The 5 series is much lighter than similarly sized cars. There may be a penatly to this when it comes to safety.

I am amazed at the faith in BMW that is evident in this thread. Crash tests don't matter because we know that BMW is safe. German engineers are smarter than Asian engineers. BMW's have always been very safe. Fact is - the only objective comparison tests we have show that the e60 is less safe than comparable cars. The tests might be a load of crap but they might not be.....
I have to say I agree. I think you make some very valid points.
Old 08-31-2007, 12:02 PM
Members

My Ride: 2009 535XI, Barbera Red with beige leather, Navigation, premium package, cold weather package, 18 inch wheels, 2007 530XI, Monaco Blue with Auburn leather , Navigation, Logic 7, premium package, cold weather package, M-Aero kit, Rear Spoiler, 18 inch 135m style wheels, Goodyear Eagle F1 GS D3's, AngeliBrights. 2008 650i convertible Titaniun Silver Chateau pearl leather,Gray top, cold weather package, Logic 7 premium sound, comfort access.

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='459311' date='Aug 16 2007, 11:38 AM
No, they're only available in the 14" size but I'm really excited about the money I'm going to save when it comes time to replace the tires! Also, I have great protection from potholes, etc. so I'm good to go!!
If you put the aero kit on it will look like a hyundai. Then all the chevy cobalt owners will be harassing you at every light. 0-60 also drops down to 13.7 seconds with the kit.....go for it!
Old 08-31-2007, 12:16 PM
Members

My Ride: 2009 535XI, Barbera Red with beige leather, Navigation, premium package, cold weather package, 18 inch wheels, 2007 530XI, Monaco Blue with Auburn leather , Navigation, Logic 7, premium package, cold weather package, M-Aero kit, Rear Spoiler, 18 inch 135m style wheels, Goodyear Eagle F1 GS D3's, AngeliBrights. 2008 650i convertible Titaniun Silver Chateau pearl leather,Gray top, cold weather package, Logic 7 premium sound, comfort access.

Originally Posted by Richard in NC' post='463541' date='Aug 28 2007, 09:58 PM
BMW NA Does read message boards. In the m5board.com thread listed above, this post was found from BMW NA:
Well with all of the advanced safety features and computers on board why don't you just have a "getting t-boned by an SUV body bag deployment' when you sense something over 4000 pounds barreling down on you instead of the the airbag that shoves your left arm up your nose?
Old 09-03-2007, 08:25 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Looks like Kia knows how to get a good score on crash tests...

http://www.whatcar.com/news-article.aspx?NA=227526