E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

iDrive Stuck

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 02:34 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i Black sapphire metallic Black dakota leather Sport Package Premium package Cold weather package Navigation - Logic 7

I went to turn on my 545i this afternoon and the bmw screen came up like normal, but then it was stuck on the FM radio screen. I couldn't control anything in iDrive. NAV and radio would not work and the time/date was reset. A couple miles later the tire pressure warning indicator came on...

Does this sound like a CCC failure???
Old 08-29-2010, 02:52 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i Black sapphire metallic Black dakota leather Sport Package Premium package Cold weather package Navigation - Logic 7

I came back home and turned the car off...waited 30 minutes, turned the car on and i-Drive came right up, radio and NAV as well!

Weird...do you guys think this was just a reset thing?
Old 08-29-2010, 02:55 PM
Contributors

I'd start with a check on the battery ... When they start to die it seems that all sorts of error messages begin to pop up!

That said, and my car has TPMS not FTM, on one occasion that my tire pressure was low and set off an alert, I seem to recall that it took over and temporarily locked out some idrive functions.
Old 08-29-2010, 03:26 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i, 6-speed Manual, Silver Grey Metallic, Grey Dakota Leather, Cold Weather Pkg, Premium Sound Pkg, Sport Pkg, Lumbar Support

Originally Posted by PRIMETIME
Weird...do you guys think this was just a reset thing?
With a 2005, you have to turn the key, right? I am careful in my 2004 to pause after each click of the key so that the electronics power-up smoothly. I feel that rushing all the way from OFF to CRANK does not give all the systems proper time to power up. Yea, it takes a little longer to get the motor going, but I believe it is better for the electronics. Go ahead, call me crazy.
Old 08-29-2010, 03:34 PM
Members

Originally Posted by luigi524td
I'd start with a check on the battery ... When they start to die it seems that all sorts of error messages begin to pop up!

That said, and my car has TPMS not FTM, on one occasion that my tire pressure was low and set off an alert, I seem to recall that it took over and temporarily locked out some idrive functions.
I'll have to check how old the battery is.

Originally Posted by SilberGrauE60
With a 2005, you have to turn the key, right? I am careful in my 2004 to pause after each click of the key so that the electronics power-up smoothly. I feel that rushing all the way from OFF to CRANK does not give all the systems proper time to power up. Yea, it takes a little longer to get the motor going, but I believe it is better for the electronics. Go ahead, call me crazy.
Yes, I have to turn the key. After the issue happened I turned the car off and back on slowly a few times, but it didn't help.
Old 08-29-2010, 04:53 PM
Contributors

My Ride: ActiveHybrid - fully tricked out
Model Year: 2013

Sounds like the the battery might be going. I had my battery replaced just over a year ago after things started to act up like you describe. Given that my car is a year older than yours and that we live in similar climate, then it makes sense that you might be due.

Good luck on that one.

@SilberGrauE60 - I've noticed that as soon as I hit the unlock button all kinds of motors and gears start to quietly whir before I even open the door. I figure they're doing things like getting the fuel up to pressure and whatever else is required for liftoff. Then I crank the key over and don't worry too much about how quickly I crank it. Although I'm not foolish about it.

Cheers