E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

iDrive Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 07:36 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 525i
Model Year: 2004

Hey everyone,
So I bought a used 2004 525i with iDrive and was wondering how do I activate some of the options, for example, bluetooth or navigation. Do I need to subscribe to bmw service or would I need some kind of dvd or cd. I'm mainly interested in bluetooth and navigation. BTW, is the button on the steering wheel voice command or something else. It is below the phone button.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:31 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2003 E60 520i Black Metalic. Glass Sun Roof, Climate Control High, Bluetooth, Leather Memory, PDC, Adaptive Xenon, Navi Pro, Voice Control, Ipod, Folding rear seats, OEM 172 19" Summer Wheels, OEM 138 17" Winter Wheels.

Originally Posted by tjackson9810
Hey everyone,
So I bought a used 2004 525i with iDrive and was wondering how do I activate some of the options, for example, bluetooth or navigation. Do I need to subscribe to bmw service or would I need some kind of dvd or cd. I'm mainly interested in bluetooth and navigation. BTW, is the button on the steering wheel voice command or something else. It is below the phone button.
Bluetooth and navigation need additional HW to work. Search the forum, there are many threads on retrofitting both options.
Old 09-20-2012, 04:44 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

Originally Posted by thomassteen
Bluetooth and navigation need additional HW to work. Search the forum, there are many threads on retrofitting both options.
Welcome to the Forum! Search will be your best friend- if you learn to master the search feature, you'll open yourself up to a treasure trove of information.

Both of your questions will require some information from you. Let's start with navigation. If you don't have it, you have what is commonly known as the M-ASK system. Navigation, as sold in the US, is known as Navigation Professional. It is referred to here as CCC. Non-nav systems use a square information screen in the dash. Nav systems have a wide screen. Also nav systems use a dual-drive system. There is a dvd drive and a cd drive in the dash. Retrofits are possible, but can be costly. Adding nav, bluetooth, cd changer, sirius satellite, etc will require coding.

That brings us to Bluetooth. Here's the short answer- depends on when your car was actually built. If your car has telematics, the telematics control unit- aka TCU- must have a build date newer than March 2004 to even have a possibility of activating bluetooth. I believe all US spec E60s were prepped for BT, but I may be mistaken. If your car has a compatible telematics unit and the pre-wiring/bt module/overhead microphone exists, then activation is possible with coding. If not, those prereqs must be met.

Where in Cali are you? There are many members who code, and many more who are knowledgeable about the E60. I'm San Fernando Valley based. I know the above seems confusing- the rabbit hole is deep- but, with enough desire, knowledge, and coin, you can have an even better Ultimate Driving Machine.
Old 09-20-2012, 05:47 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 07' BMW 550i

On same thematic, I had to reset my Idrive each 2-3 months as I would get a warning SOS(across line). After rest it's working like a glove. Is anyone has same problem?
Old 09-20-2012, 06:52 AM
Members

My Ride: 545i 2004, SMG, Sport, Nav, Logic-7, Bluetooth phone retrofit

My 545 was built in March 2004. It must have been one of the first that actually had the hardware for BlueTooth, but they hadn't completed the software yet. BMW later provided the software at no charge, but I had to pay the dealer to install it and do the recoding. It cost me $200, which I thought was within reason at the time. It's been working flawlessly ever since.
Old 09-22-2012, 12:28 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 525i
Model Year: 2004

Originally Posted by advancedlogic
Welcome to the Forum! Search will be your best friend- if you learn to master the search feature, you'll open yourself up to a treasure trove of information.

Both of your questions will require some information from you. Let's start with navigation. If you don't have it, you have what is commonly known as the M-ASK system. Navigation, as sold in the US, is known as Navigation Professional. It is referred to here as CCC. Non-nav systems use a square information screen in the dash. Nav systems have a wide screen. Also nav systems use a dual-drive system. There is a dvd drive and a cd drive in the dash. Retrofits are possible, but can be costly. Adding nav, bluetooth, cd changer, sirius satellite, etc will require coding.

That brings us to Bluetooth. Here's the short answer- depends on when your car was actually built. If your car has telematics, the telematics control unit- aka TCU- must have a build date newer than March 2004 to even have a possibility of activating bluetooth. I believe all US spec E60s were prepped for BT, but I may be mistaken. If your car has a compatible telematics unit and the pre-wiring/bt module/overhead microphone exists, then activation is possible with coding. If not, those prereqs must be met.

Where in Cali are you? There are many members who code, and many more who are knowledgeable about the E60. I'm San Fernando Valley based. I know the above seems confusing- the rabbit hole is deep- but, with enough desire, knowledge, and coin, you can have an even better Ultimate Driving Machine.
lol I'm definitely exercising my fingers on the search button. I just got this cable (
Amazon Amazon
)today and tried using it. I don't know whether or not its the cable or if I'm doing something wrong. Do you have any insights about this cable?

Thank you for teaching me a couple new things today. This is very confusing. So the mask system has a navigation option but it cannot be used? I think I have the mask system because I don't have the dual drives.

I'm located in the san gabriel valley east of los angeles but so far I haven't gotten in touch with any coders.