E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

IDrive "Profile" Screen

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 11:32 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 525i Silver Gray Gray Leather Premium Package Auto Nav

There's a screen in the Idrive that shows you your License Plate and Telematics ID.
I have had my car in 3 times now, and the dealer can't figure out how to get the license plate info to show up.
The first time they said they did all the required programming, but after I took the car I called them and they said, basically, sorry, next time you're in, we'll do it.
The next time they said they didn't program this info, that it was "pushed" to the car via BMW Assist. So, I took the car and called BMW Assist and made sure BMW Assist had the right license plate, which they did, and they said that the dealer has to input it on the Idrive via programming.
So, last week (the 3rd time), the dealer said, "oh, the service department doesn't do this, the sales people input this via their special BMW Assist sign up computer, and that guy's not here today, but we'll do it, so don't worry, once we use that system, it'll magically show up on your Idrive just like it's supposed to."
Well, as you guessed, the sales people input the license plate in their computer, and called me, and said "now BMW Assist has your license plate number". I said, they've had it for 3 years, so what, when does it show up on the Idrive? He said beats me, we were just told to make sure BMW assist had your license number.
So, bottom line, anyone know what procedure to tell these guys to run to do this?
I realize it's not a big deal, but now that I'm paying $200 for Assist and my warranty will be running out, I would like to get this fixed.
Thanks.
Mark
Old 10-14-2008, 12:22 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i E60 Orient Blau Metallic Premium, NAV, Winter Package, Heads Up Display, Logic 7 Audio, AngeliBright Upgrade [White], M5 Body Kit, M Embroidered Seats

Mark:

I feel your pain. The only light I can shed is based on my experience with this issue. When my car arrived after a Euro Delivery, it didnt have any of the telematics data loaded on it. I had to cal BMW assist thru the vehicle, give them my license plate number etc and they then programmed the iDrive. 24hrs later, the information popped up [my dealer didnt do anything asides from fax in the delivery paperwork indicating the car was now in my hands and BMW assist needed to be activated)]. The same was true of my new X5 which we bought as a demo from the dealer and had to get activated ourselves.

My 2005 545i recently surpassed 50K and I opted out of BMW Assist. Since doing this, my telematics now shows no info on plate, ID# etc again. Bottom line - check with BMW Assist. They are sposed to send this info to your vehicle.

Hope this helps...

S
Old 10-14-2008, 01:41 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 525i Silver Gray Gray Leather Premium Package Auto Nav

Thanks, I'll give them a call again and see if I can talk to a supervisor, maybe they know what's going on.
Mark
Originally Posted by subarashi' post='693001' date='Oct 14 2008, 01:22 PM
Mark:

I feel your pain. The only light I can shed is based on my experience with this issue. When my car arrived after a Euro Delivery, it didnt have any of the telematics data loaded on it. I had to cal BMW assist thru the vehicle, give them my license plate number etc and they then programmed the iDrive. 24hrs later, the information popped up [my dealer didnt do anything asides from fax in the delivery paperwork indicating the car was now in my hands and BMW assist needed to be activated)]. The same was true of my new X5 which we bought as a demo from the dealer and had to get activated ourselves.

My 2005 545i recently surpassed 50K and I opted out of BMW Assist. Since doing this, my telematics now shows no info on plate, ID# etc again. Bottom line - check with BMW Assist. They are sposed to send this info to your vehicle.

Hope this helps...

S