E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Idrive NAV upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2003, 10:46 PM
willie

Hi guys,

I just got my 530i, as I expected I a so pleased and happy. This thing is the coolest thing ever.

I have one concern; I was really disappointed when the sales guy told me that the NAV was not a option I could get. I REALLY wanted NAV. the question I s if any of you have any idea if you can ad nav as an option later ((maybe a software upgrade or something). I have some kind if GPS on the car for the BMW assist. But I wonder if it?s the same as the one for the nav.

The other thing is the lower corner tail list on the back, I have black covers and in all of the adds, commercials, mags., and websites. The car comes with red corner tail thing... what?s up with that?

I have a 2003 Z4 2.5 and I got one of my friends to help me race both car and am surprised, glad, and confused to say that the 530 won....

Yes my friends even thought the Z4 is liter and more agile the 530 won. Well to be totally honest I was only by a couple of hairs, but still.

Thanks.
Old 10-19-2003, 11:18 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think you can retrofit the DVD Navigation system to your pre-October production 530i. You probably have to look for a after market system like Alpine.

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As of November production, all MY04 5 Series will be prepared for the retrofit of a Navigation system. The retrofit kit will be identical to the factory equipped Navigation system (option 609) in terms of contents and similarly priced. The retrofit kit will be available shortly after the release of option 609. At this stage there is no firm date set, but the target date for the optional Navigation system is still March 2004.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43408
Old 10-19-2003, 11:54 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by katmai' date='Oct 20 2003, 01:18 AM
As of November production, all MY04 5 Series will be prepared for the retrofit of a Navigation system. The retrofit kit will be identical to the factory equipped Navigation system (option 609) in terms of contents and similarly priced. The retrofit kit will be available shortly after the release of option 609. At this stage there is no firm date set, but the target date for the optional Navigation system is still March 2004.
Where is that quote from? I won't be getting my E60 until next summer or fall, so it does not affect me. But a lot of people who can't wait will be very happy if this is in fact true. Do you know what the source of the quote is?

rodybmw
Old 10-20-2003, 05:36 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by katmai' date='Oct 20 2003, 01:18 AM
As of November production, all MY04 5 Series will be prepared for the retrofit of a Navigation system.
I'm surprised BMW would go this route considering the problems Mercedes ran into with their retrofit nav kit. I recently ordered my 530 with nav with an expected 2nd qtr '04 delivery.

I think I rather wait for a factory install than risk any unforeseen problems.
Old 10-27-2003, 01:57 PM
Members

I've heard that nav isn't available (in US) until March 04, but this makes it sound like I can get one now and retro-fit it later? If so, very cool.

Does the same go for the heads-up-display?
Old 10-27-2003, 06:54 PM
Members

My dealer around here said that you couldn't retro-fit and that the nav/hud wouldnt' be "available" until May. (March production for May delivery). He may have just been trying to get me to give up on it and buy sooner, though.

To be honest, I'd buy one of these 530's right now if I weren't conflicted about that. How hard would it have been for BMW to get the nav system right at the start?
Old 10-27-2003, 10:37 PM
Members

I got the info / quote from a member on bimmerfest. Not sure where he got the info.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43408

Personally, I am waiting for the Nav option to be available after March production.

There are several questions without answers on the retrofit option for Nav:
Will the retrofit include a larger LDC found in the normal Nav option?
Will the retrofit include a voice command button (right next to Menu button and i-drive mouse)?
Will the retrofit require a lot of labor to take apart the dash? I am afraid of rattle noise from the dash down the road.