E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

iDrive corrupted characters and now blank screen

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 04:32 PM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by or_550i
Before getting into a big hissyfit about it... Try pulling power from the car for an hour or so.

einstellungen is "preferences" or "settings" so it looks like something in the iDrive reset to German.

It might be that the current flash image of the iDrive is corrupt. This could be resettable by removing power from the battery to the car. simply pull the NEGative battery terminal off. Wait an 30 min to an hour. Reconnect.

If that doesn't work. See if the SA would be willing to perform a CIP update. This is just a firmware (software) issue.

Hey, I work in the Information Technology and alot of times computers need a hard boot once in awhile. I guess the iDrive is no exception.

Originally Posted by twh
Same thing happened to another member. Perhaps you can find it with searching. But, that member pointed out that the heating and a/c system didn't work right unless the screen worked. That pushed it from not covered to covered. Look at all the items in iDrive that aren't the ones you have only in iDrive. Get the mnanual. Here are some that come to mind:

checking oil level !!!!! - you can't do that task without the screen, isn't the enough??
various heating and a/c things
heated seat control if you have comfort seats
all the various CBS (condition based service) indicators (brakes, etc.)
changing the door locking and unlocking things
changing the triple turn signal setting
changing the entry/exit lighting setting
etc
etc
etc

Bring the list to the guy and tell him these don't work. Ask him to fix these without fixing the parts that aren't covered.

+100
Old 05-26-2010, 04:54 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 550i, 1984 Mercedes Gelandewagen

Originally Posted by balbs
Hey, I work in the Information Technology and alot of times computers need a hard boot once in awhile. I guess the iDrive is no exception.
Nope. Even embedded systems are not immune. The only real defense is to use a watchdog that would reset the system (unbeknownst to the user).
The CID (Central Information Display) data comes from the CHAMP (Central Head Unit and Multimedia Platform) or M-ASK (Multi Audio System controller). Both can be 'reset' by using the BMW diagnosis system, disconnecting it from the MOST and CANBUS (K_CAN), or removing power for a few minutes.

The system diagnosis of the CID that I've read says that when there are frozen graphics or partially hidden image contents that the display is working correctly but the CHAMP or M-ASK has a fault.

Since it's the CHAMP or M-ASK that has the fault and it is considered part of the audio system I highly doubt that the extended warranty will cover this issue.
Old 05-26-2010, 10:00 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by balbs
I don't have any experience with BMWNA (I guess hopefully never), but I would do both. Good Luck!! I hope you get this worked out in your favor.
Join BMWCCA.....they have Ombudsman who will help you deal with BMWNA! Like the guys said.....Idrive is integral to the operation to all your systems! How will you check your oil level?