E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

iDrive CIC Retrofit - Who can do it in UK?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 08:33 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2007 Black Sapphire 535i

Ok Nelson, We'll save the shifter mod for another day once we get through this one. I tried giving Garry a call but got his voice mail. Hopefully he will return the call soon. Let me know how you make out with the trim and support bracket p/n for the controller. Through a mutual friend I also know the Parts Manager at Maranello's BMW here in Toronto. It wouldn't hurt for me to determine if I can get all components locally. Are the part numbers we are discussing, European, and are they recognized by our North American dealerships?

Again forgive my ignorance...and to confirm, do I need to change my existing panel which houses the DTS switch and heated seat switches, to P/N 51459156041 due to some physical limitation with installing the new CIC? If its just because I'll loose my ashtray once I change the shifter trim, I can certainly live with that. (Something tells me it may not be such a simple answer though).
Attached Thumbnails iDrive CIC Retrofit - Who can do it in UK?-dash003.jpg  
Old 06-04-2010, 10:03 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2005 530i Silver Gray/ Gray Leather. SP,PP

Originally Posted by Georgieb
Ok Nelson, We'll save the shifter mod for another day once we get through this one. I tried giving Garry a call but got his voice mail. Hopefully he will return the call soon. Let me know how you make out with the trim and support bracket p/n for the controller. Through a mutual friend I also know the Parts Manager at Maranello's BMW here in Toronto. It wouldn't hurt for me to determine if I can get all components locally. Are the part numbers we are discussing, European, and are they recognized by our North American dealerships?

Again forgive my ignorance...and to confirm, do I need to change my existing panel which houses the DTS switch and heated seat switches, to P/N 51459156041 due to some physical limitation with installing the new CIC? If its just because I'll loose my ashtray once I change the shifter trim, I can certainly live with that. (Something tells me it may not be such a simple answer though).
Im actually having a hard time ordering the trim and support bracket. Just came back from my local dealer and they were not able to find the US p/n. An E90post member just posted the pics of the trim and bracket.
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...68#post7439068

All the p/n i have posted are recognized by North American dealerships. The only p/n im having a hard time ordering is the trim and support bracket for the controller.

Yes, with the new trim you will loose your ashtray, thats why it has to be relocated. From what i been told you can use the current idrive controller with the CIC but its a PITA to navigate it with. I can live without the ashtray(non smoker) but i want to be able to navigate the CIC they way its suppose to.

Im also working on getting the P/N for the switches but my local dealership told me they cant order it. im waiting on Garry response to see if its true.
Here's the link for the switches
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/partgrp.d...19&hg=61&fg=35
Old 06-04-2010, 10:16 AM
Contributors

Quick update: just got an email from Garry and he can order the switches but it has to come from Germany. 2-3 weeks to arrive here.
Old 06-04-2010, 11:15 AM
Contributors

Yes, with the new trim you will loose your ashtray, thats why it has to be relocated. From what i been told you can use the current idrive controller with the CIC but its a PITA to navigate it with. I can live without the ashtray(non smoker) but i want to be able to navigate the CIC they way its suppose to.
Nelson, If the replacement for the trim I circled in red above is only to generate a spot for the new ashtray, I'll definitely opt to not have the ashtray and leave the existing trim alone. As far as the 51169156126 Panel goes; changing this is a must because I too would like the new controller. Is there a cavity in front of the shifter on this piece of trim that now needs to be filled with additional dash components?

I also just got off the phone with Garry at Newport BMW. He is sympathetic to my cause however he states that they endured too many problems shipping product to Canada and just made a decision not to do it any more. The company I work for has an office in Florida so we agreed that once I was ready to buy the parts he could ship to my office there and then I could forward everything here.

Good news regarding your buttons, BDW.
Old 06-04-2010, 11:22 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: -Current- 535d Sport LCI Bi-Xenon Adaptive Lights, S.A.T, Professional SatNav, Logic7, Elec Memory seats, iPod interface, 19" Alloys WITHOUT RUNFLATS! CIC and Combox Retrofit, White Angel Eyes, Speed in Centre console. -Previous- Mini Cooper S 525d Tourer Auto

Hi Georgieb,

Welcome to the party! good luck with this retrofit.

I am lucky enough to be upgrading an LCI car when i get around to it so there is a lot less to do than you and Nelson! I had a 2005 5er and now a 2007 LCI 5er and the iDrive seems to have got worse, so really keen to breath new life into her!

Re the auto box, when buying this car i was specifically looking for the LCI model as the gearbox is that much better than before. i am not sure a retrofit is possible as i understand it is a totally different beast to before, but wouldn't be surprised if someone out there is trying it and will succeed!

Anyway, good luck again!
Old 06-04-2010, 11:51 AM
Contributors

Thanks Darren,
I hope we are not hijacking your thread. I just started reading the 39 page post over at E90post. Man, so much useful information there. Getting a grasp of how involved all this is from the coding perspective. Anyway, it should be a really fun project.
Old 06-04-2010, 12:05 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: -Current- 535d Sport LCI Bi-Xenon Adaptive Lights, S.A.T, Professional SatNav, Logic7, Elec Memory seats, iPod interface, 19" Alloys WITHOUT RUNFLATS! CIC and Combox Retrofit, White Angel Eyes, Speed in Centre console. -Previous- Mini Cooper S 525d Tourer Auto

Thanks Darren,
I hope we are not hijacking your thread. I just started reading the 39 page post over at E90post. Man, so much useful information there. Getting a grasp of how involved all this is from the coding perspective. Anyway, it should be a really fun project.
Not a problem, there is a lot to learn so very much welcome!

I've gone through those 39 pages - they are a tough read on a computer screen! There is a lot of info both there and on this forum and Nelson certanly knows his stuff! Ask the questions, there are a lot here who know the answers!
Old 06-04-2010, 01:27 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Darron.Lowe
Not a problem, there is a lot to learn so very much welcome!

I've gone through those 39 pages - they are a tough read on a computer screen! There is a lot of info both there and on this forum and Nelson certanly knows his stuff! Ask the questions, there are a lot here who know the answers!
If you guys need anything from Europe I can ship it to you. I already told Nelson I would do it as it looks that indeed you can't buy the iDrive controller bracket in the US.

It looks like tomorrow is a big day if only Nelson could hook it up and prepare for coding
Old 06-04-2010, 08:09 PM
Contributors

Nelson, If the replacement for the trim I circled in red above is only to generate a spot for the new ashtray, I'll definitely opt to not have the ashtray and leave the existing trim alone. As far as the 51169156126 Panel goes; changing this is a must because I too would like the new controller. Is there a cavity in front of the shifter on this piece of trim that now needs to be filled with additional dash components?

I also just got off the phone with Garry at Newport BMW. He is sympathetic to my cause however he states that they endured too many problems shipping product to Canada and just made a decision not to do it any more. The company I work for has an office in Florida so we agreed that once I was ready to buy the parts he could ship to my office there and then I could forward everything here.

Good news regarding your buttons, BDW.
You should be good if you only replace the the shifter trim. i thought about doing that but i need to ashtray to charge my phone.
Old 06-04-2010, 08:13 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Patrys
If you guys need anything from Europe I can ship it to you. I already told Nelson I would do it as it looks that indeed you can't buy the iDrive controller bracket in the US.

It looks like tomorrow is a big day if only Nelson could hook it up and prepare for coding
I will be ready for tomorrow Patryk , I was waiting on the CID/ can cable that i got earlier today so i will be ready for coding

Quick Reply: iDrive CIC Retrofit - Who can do it in UK?