E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

I thought I was mechanical

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2009 | 03:20 PM
Contributors

My Ride: ActiveHybrid - fully tricked out
Model Year: 2013

I got the warning light on my iDrive screen that my right hand high beam had burned out "No problem" sez I. It can't be that hard to replace.

I picked up a bulb from the dealer yesterday. Not a lot of help from the nice guy behind the counter on how to replace it. Nothing in the manual either other than pointing out the cap that screws off to expose the bulb. It took a moment or two to figure out that the socket twists off to reveal the bulb. Even then I felt compelled to loosen the 4 bolts holding the lamp housing so that I could move it forward a bit to make access easier. Whew ! I thought it would be a snap.

Of course, I dropped a small tool down behind the light housing. Does anyone have any idea how to access the area under and behind the light?

At least I'm now fully illuminated.

Cheers.
Old 04-19-2009 | 04:20 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i | Titanium Silver | Sport, Premium, Cold Weather, Navigation packages | Style 124 staggered rims | iPod integration | Tinted windows

Sorry I'm unable to help here Richard! I've never changed my bulbs in front. Many have done this before so I'm sure others will chime in and offer suggestions for you soon.

It was good meeting you at our meet earlier this month! We should start plans for a summer get-together.
Old 04-19-2009 | 04:42 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by rmcd' post='852075' date='Apr 19 2009, 07:20 PM
I got the warning light on my iDrive screen that my right hand high beam had burned out "No problem" sez I. It can't be that hard to replace.

I picked up a bulb from the dealer yesterday. Not a lot of help from the nice guy behind the counter on how to replace it. Nothing in the manual either other than pointing out the cap that screws off to expose the bulb. It took a moment or two to figure out that the socket twists off to reveal the bulb. Even then I felt compelled to loosen the 4 bolts holding the lamp housing so that I could move it forward a bit to make access easier. Whew ! I thought it would be a snap.

Of course, I dropped a small tool down behind the light housing. Does anyone have any idea how to access the area under and behind the light?

Cheers.
if the tool is metal, try with small magnet (like the one for tool bits)
Old 04-19-2009 | 05:41 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by rmcd' post='852075' date='Apr 19 2009, 06:20 PM

Cheers.
If i were you i would look at the diy section for removing the entire housing. look behind/under the housing and im sure you will find your tool.

i was screwing in my tail lights and dropped my wrench into the battery slow. It feel behind the battery and i cant reach it!!! I was so pissed. im waiting to do my sub install to get my tool out of the battery spot. stupid me.
Old 04-19-2009 | 06:51 PM
Contributors

My Ride: ActiveHybrid - fully tricked out
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by Alpine White Girl' post='852198' date='Apr 19 2009, 09:41 PM
If i were you i would look at the diy section for removing the entire housing. look behind/under the housing and im sure you will find your tool.

i was screwing in my tail lights and dropped my wrench into the battery slow. It feel behind the battery and i cant reach it!!! I was so pissed. im waiting to do my sub install to get my tool out of the battery spot. stupid me.
Doh - I should have searched first. Sorry folks.

There is a fabulous post here with great photos on how to remove the housing. My mistake is that I didn't remove the screw most toward the centre of the car. That might have made more space to remove the housing.

Best of luck with your new sub install. I hope you find the wrench.

Cheers