E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

I hate blizzards.....

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 04:52 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535Xi Platinum Metalic Gray, Black Dakota Comfort pkg, Cold weather pkg.

I have had my 08 535xi for about a 45 days now, I am running all seasons and I had alot of fun durring that blizard. AWD will not help with black ice unless your running spike tires, but as far as driving a xi in the snow I felt my only limit was the hight of the front bumper. As for the maxima doing better in the snow then a rear wheel drive 535i thats a no brainer.
Old 12-28-2010, 05:09 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

I used to love ice skating. When i battled the NE winters, I did so in a little KIA! I banked that thing everyday and rotated the friends to come pull me out. Now in the so-called "sunshine state" i keep my front undercarriage off. Doing so helps me to detect leaks and occasionally the heavy rain water helps to give it a bath.

I don't care what tires one has or what drive train they have, there is no escaping the black ice
Old 12-28-2010, 09:26 PM
Members

My Ride: black on black 530Xi 6 spd

Originally Posted by harlem
First off glad you are safe and no injuries.second what are you driving? xi or what? and what kind of tires did you have on and How FAST were you driving?
Yeah 530xi with all seasons and not going THAT fast it was more making the turn & then hitting the black ice then bam

Originally Posted by stoic1
What part of the undercarriage are you talking about? Living where you have the chance of getting snow at the least you should be running with all weather radials. Heck I live in Texas and run AW's. With the weather your facing now I would have a dedicated set of wheels with snow tires on them. Throw those on your car in early November through to the beginning of April or so. Hopefully there is little to no damage. Be careful out there!
well i took it to my mechanic today and it was front most cover directly below the engine is gone, the tranny cover was still intact, My ACS lip was torn in half & when it was ripped off it took some chunks of the front bumper, so sucks it happened but could have been alot worse. Yeah I'm thinking of having a dedicated winter tire set now, I run 2 sets already I have the high performance summers, i guess i'll have to have a high grip winter set also

Originally Posted by mookish
Tow trucks, busses, even the snow plows were stuck, why even drive? xdrive, snow tires, none of that will help you these first few days. The worst time to drive in the snow in NYC is the first snowfall of the season, that's when all the people who "forget" how to drive in the snow or think their AWD is upto the job come out. I let them play demolition derby for 48 hours, then I come out and rubberneck at the damage.
I feel ya, i wouldn't have been driving if I didn't have too, Unfortunately i'm an FDNY paramedic and we've been pulling doubles and triples because the call volume is so high, it's so bad that half our fleet yesterday was at one time all stuck in the snow lol.
Old 12-28-2010, 10:14 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: A Car

i used to live in Syracuse and went to school in Buffalo. MUCH worse snow. I drove a CLK55 AMG with all seasons and had no trouble. Biggest problem with NYC is too many cars, streets are too small, and the rate of snowfall was to rapid. I drove my friend's ML430 and we got stuck. Drove my Audi Allroad and we got stuck too. Ask 99% of NYCers what they did for the past two days. 99% of them will say digging. LOL. I dug my car out this morning. Dug myself a parking spot this evening. I think I am selling my Allroad once my shop is opened. I want a bigger car. Maybe a Cayenne Turbo if the price is right. Or possibly a GX470. May also look at a G55
Old 12-28-2010, 10:24 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by John@Motorcepts
i used to live in Syracuse and went to school in Buffalo. MUCH worse snow. I drove a CLK55 AMG with all seasons and had no trouble. Biggest problem with NYC is too many cars, streets are too small, and the rate of snowfall was to rapid. I drove my friend's ML430 and we got stuck. Drove my Audi Allroad and we got stuck too. Ask 99% of NYCers what they did for the past two days. 99% of them will say digging. LOL. I dug my car out this morning. Dug myself a parking spot this evening. I think I am selling my Allroad once my shop is opened. I want a bigger car. Maybe a Cayenne Turbo if the price is right. Or possibly a GX470. May also look at a G55
GOTTA go G55... Thats the dogs bollocks!
Old 12-29-2010, 05:14 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Originally Posted by nycmedic86
I think most everybody either felt or has seen the recent NE blizzard, So on my way home last night I[b] hit a patch of black ice spun out and

landed in a snow bank[/b

Originally Posted by turboawd
you got summer tires on your car?

Originally Posted by pukka
It really doesn't matter - black ice will make you spin out regardless of what tires you have.

Originally Posted by ron_cb550
I'm really not sure I'm following your logic here... lol
My logic is pretty simple:

You could have snow, all-season, or summer tires - drive over a patch of black ice and you can still lose control of your car.
Old 12-29-2010, 05:46 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i,1995 M3
Model Year: 2004

Glad to hear you're OK, the car can be fixed.

Originally Posted by pukka
My logic is pretty simple:

You could have snow, all-season, or summer tires - drive over a patch of black ice and you can still lose control of your car.
I wholeheartedly disagree. Yes the ice will still be slippery but winter tires are a tremendous help on ice. All season tires are no season tires.
Old 12-30-2010, 04:58 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Originally Posted by itb76
I wholeheartedly disagree. Yes the ice will still be slippery but winter tires are a tremendous help on ice. All season tires are no season tires.
As long as ice is slippery then YOU-CAN-STILL-LOSE-CONTROL-OF-YOUR-CAR when driving over it.

I've broke sideways in a car with studded tires once. Winter tires alone are an improvement, but don't help as much as one might think. They DO complement good winter driving skills and technology such as DSC. Even with all that, its one thing to know when you are driving over ice. The OP was referring to black ice, which is almost impossible to see so you don't anticipate it. With you being from MI, I'm sure you have experienced this at least once.
Old 12-30-2010, 06:05 AM
ADD
Senior Members

I've had a set of dedicated Nokian snows on the 535i every winter.

Never had any problems, and I've driven through snow deeper than my mtech intake.

One year I was two days late in putting on the snows, and couldn't make it around with a half inch on the ground.

Snows rock.
Old 12-30-2010, 06:11 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i 2006 BMW X3

Originally Posted by John@Motorcepts
I think I am selling my Allroad once my shop is opened. I want a bigger car. Maybe a Cayenne Turbo if the price is right. Or possibly a GX470. May also look at a G55
Stay in the fold. Get an X5. Mine rocks!

Quick Reply: I hate blizzards.....