E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

i-drive boot problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 04:49 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it started few days ago, with the screen booting up to the "bmw" logo. then it will stay on with "bmw" logo for 2-3 minutes. and then reboots and repeats endlessly. crtrl+alt-delete will reboot it to the same problem. it sucks when everything is tied to i-drive, can't access the navi or play radio cd. i can really appreciate the buttons for climate control. It is frustrating to see this kind of major problem on a bmw.

took the car in earlier today, just got a call from my service advisor saying something is wrong with the control unit (ccc?) he gives me two option: to program ($400) or to replace cu + program ($2300). i guess i didn't have much of a choice but to program it and cross my fingers.

i hope no one has to go through this when their car is out of warranty. :thumbsdown:
Old 03-14-2007, 05:25 PM
Senior Members

It is certainly possible that recoding the CCC will resolve the problem if the code is corrupted. (I am guessing your car is out of warranty at this point.)

However, there is a fairly high chance it will not do the trick. That means you would end up spending both sums of money if that's the case.

We had a problem with the CCC on one car almost from the start. I remember the first time it froze, we were driving on the Handelskai and all of a sudden - blank screen.

I told the dealer that the CCC needed to be replaced but they wanted to recode. So they recoded and a few months later it rebooted by itself two times in a short period of time.

Then they recoded again to a newer version of Progman and - it froze and did not come back (for a while).

While at the dealer, it froze on them and they captured a fault code. They then replaced - at BMW's suggestion - the data line cable. The problem didn't go away so BMW now authorized the replacement of the CCC under warranty.

The good news is that they have always supplied a loaner more or less identical to the car in service and since they come and valet the car for service, leaving the loaner, it's not an inconvenience but it can be frustrating.

I sincerely hope that the recoding works for you.
Old 03-14-2007, 07:21 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E63 AMG | Obsidian Black | Schwarzes Nappa | Black BirdEye Maple | Premium II Package | Electronic Trunk Closer | Parktronic Engine: RPi/Powerchips custom ECU tune, RPi Ram Air Kit (BMC filter, scoops), RennTech Sport exhaust, secondary cats, charcoal and resonator delete, custom AAA x-pipe Exterior: 50% side windows / 35% rear window Formula One Pinnacle Series | Flat AMG hood emblem Suspension: Renntech Lowering Module Wheels/Tires: Radenergie R10, Falken FK452 245/30/20, Yokohama ADVAN Sport 285/25/20 ----------------------------------------- 2005 545i Sport SMG | Ti Grau | Schwarzes Dakota | Anthracite Maple | Logic 7 | Nav Engine: Custom AFE CAI, Superchips ECU remap, Sprint Booster, RDSport Dual Exhaust Conversion with Quad Pipes and X-pipe, 3 resonators deleted, 90mm tips! Exterior: M-Tech Aero kit | M5 Mirrors | M5 Rear Bumper | Trunk Lid Finisher | Vorsteiner decklid spoiler | 50% Formula One Pinnacle Tint Suspension and Brakes: Bilstein PSS9 coilovers, JBT BBK: 16" cross-drilled rotors, 8 piston and 15" cross-drilled rotors, 4 piston Wheels: VIP Modular VR 02 20x9F, 20x10R | Toyo T1R 245/30/20F, 285/25/20R Lights: PIAA 4150K Xtreme White Plus fog lights, AIB v3 MOST IMPORTANT: Hardwired V1; =) ED Date: 4/7/05, Re-delivery date: 5/21/05

I had this exact same problem last year. The dealership replaced the CCC unit. Sorry to hear that it happened to you out of warranty.
Old 03-15-2007, 01:17 PM
Contributors

thanks...sounds like ccc problem. still awaiting the result of the programming even knowing 50/50 chance it will not work. i might end up paying an arm and a leg for the new tcu too. seems like previous years model, ccc are prone to failure? it makes me wonder how many members here have had to replace their ccc unit.

jspira, in southern cali.......infinity and lexus dealers treat their customers better. bmw do not give free loaners...they actually have enterprise cars rental deal with rental cars.
Old 03-15-2007, 01:40 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by RootKit' post='403225' date='Mar 15 2007, 05:17 PM
jspira, in southern cali.......infinity and lexus dealers treat their customers better. bmw do not give free loaners...they actually have enterprise cars rental deal with rental cars.
Are all dealers (BMW) like that near you? The closest dealership to me has an arrangement with enterprise if they run out; my dealer I think also does but I've never seen them run out. Both only give BMW loaners to their new car customers. But I don't know of any around here that DON'T have BMW loaners. Not all valet like mine however and I think that's on a customer-by-customer basis.
Old 03-15-2007, 02:53 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E63 AMG | Obsidian Black | Schwarzes Nappa | Black BirdEye Maple | Premium II Package | Electronic Trunk Closer | Parktronic Engine: RPi/Powerchips custom ECU tune, RPi Ram Air Kit (BMC filter, scoops), RennTech Sport exhaust, secondary cats, charcoal and resonator delete, custom AAA x-pipe Exterior: 50% side windows / 35% rear window Formula One Pinnacle Series | Flat AMG hood emblem Suspension: Renntech Lowering Module Wheels/Tires: Radenergie R10, Falken FK452 245/30/20, Yokohama ADVAN Sport 285/25/20 ----------------------------------------- 2005 545i Sport SMG | Ti Grau | Schwarzes Dakota | Anthracite Maple | Logic 7 | Nav Engine: Custom AFE CAI, Superchips ECU remap, Sprint Booster, RDSport Dual Exhaust Conversion with Quad Pipes and X-pipe, 3 resonators deleted, 90mm tips! Exterior: M-Tech Aero kit | M5 Mirrors | M5 Rear Bumper | Trunk Lid Finisher | Vorsteiner decklid spoiler | 50% Formula One Pinnacle Tint Suspension and Brakes: Bilstein PSS9 coilovers, JBT BBK: 16" cross-drilled rotors, 8 piston and 15" cross-drilled rotors, 4 piston Wheels: VIP Modular VR 02 20x9F, 20x10R | Toyo T1R 245/30/20F, 285/25/20R Lights: PIAA 4150K Xtreme White Plus fog lights, AIB v3 MOST IMPORTANT: Hardwired V1; =) ED Date: 4/7/05, Re-delivery date: 5/21/05

BMW of San Diego provides free loaners regardless of where you bought your car. The cars they provide are X3s and Camrys. Oh well, better than nothing.
Old 03-16-2007, 12:20 PM
Contributors

a couple years ago they use to provide their own loaning, only resorting to enterprise when they are out of their cars. now, they have enterprise built in office or mobile-trailer to handle all the loanings. i don't know maybe it is a new trend with bmw dealers around here.

let me update you guys about the problem. the programming (24.02.01 version) was done successfully. but now there is another probelm. the screen has an annoying "bad refresh rate", "wavy lines" that blurr the graphic/font. I searched and there is another thread about this problem. I left the dealer thinking it will go away in a few minutes but it hasn't. i'll be posting on the other thread about this problem.