E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

I am Ready to be Ridiculed....

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 01:13 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm actually a big fan of the G35 sedan. It's priced below the 335i but is more similar in size to the 5-series. Performance is quite good, as is performance. You're looking at the AWD version which is going to be heavier and therefore slower than the RWD version, but still very good. It's not going to keep up with a 550i, though it may not be far off from a 535xi (comparing AWD to AWD). By most measures, though, it'll be quick.

The electronics in the car are well-designed and, as you said, intuitive to use. The ownership experience is quite good from a reliability perspective but hit-or-miss from a dealership service perspective, though that's true of almost any brand. It doesn't have the build quality of a 5-series, but that's not to dismiss the quality it does have. The interior is better than the first-generation, both in design and in materials, but it's not one of my favorites. I'm also not a huge fan of BMW interiors, though, so I'd say they're on similar levels aesthetically, subjectively speaking.

For the money, it's a great midsized sport sedan. I love driving it with RWD and a 6MT. I don't own one personally, but I've driven them plenty of times and have several friends with them. If you're okay with the Infiniti brand vs. BMW brand thing, I think it's a great option for what until recently was V8-level performance at a great price point.

Hope this helps!
Old 12-19-2008, 01:25 PM
Members

Originally Posted by SCWells72' post='749015' date='Dec 19 2008, 05:13 PM
I'm actually a big fan of the G35 sedan. It's priced below the 335i but is more similar in size to the 5-series. Performance is quite good, as is performance. You're looking at the AWD version which is going to be heavier and therefore slower than the RWD version, but still very good. It's not going to keep up with a 550i, though it may not be far off from a 535xi (comparing AWD to AWD). By most measures, though, it'll be quick.

The electronics in the car are well-designed and, as you said, intuitive to use. The ownership experience is quite good from a reliability perspective but hit-or-miss from a dealership service perspective, though that's true of almost any brand. It doesn't have the build quality of a 5-series, but that's not to dismiss the quality it does have. The interior is better than the first-generation, both in design and in materials, but it's not one of my favorites. I'm also not a huge fan of BMW interiors, though, so I'd say they're on similar levels aesthetically, subjectively speaking.

For the money, it's a great midsized sport sedan. I love driving it with RWD and a 6MT. I don't own one personally, but I've driven them plenty of times and have several friends with them. If you're okay with the Infiniti brand vs. BMW brand thing, I think it's a great option for what until recently was V8-level performance at a great price point.

Hope this helps!
I owned a 05 G35 Sedan with the 6 spd for 3.5 yrs and thought it was one heck of a car. Fast, tight, and trouble free. I put on snows and was ready to go. I just wanted AWD and a stick, and haven't ruled out going back to a G for my next car after my 09 535 Xdrive lease is up especially if they make an AWD car with a stick.
Old 12-19-2008, 01:28 PM
Contributors

Dunno, I'm happy I backed down and stuck with my 5 series. I mean, if I didn't, I couldn't post here anymore, and if I did, I would feel nothing but regret. heh.
Old 12-19-2008, 07:27 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i "Ben Hogan's 5 Iron" SilverGrey/Black Sport, L7, NAV, CW, AS, Split FR 2003 Audi A4 3.0 CVT "Part of the Moniker" Silver/Ebony, Prem, CW, Star 17s

Hey I was just at motorwerks and got jammed with 5.9%. This because I bought out my lease and passed on the warranty. No warranty no 2.9%

Anyway, Infiniti are fine cars. I almost pulled the trigger on the 1st generation g35 six years ago. I passed on it because of the interior. Now the new interiors are quite good. The engine is bulletproof and Nissan has built its rep on that. I haven't paid much attention to all the engine upgrades lately, just noting the mpg was lower than competing brands as the engine tech was dated somewhat. Its probaby a DI now. I'd guess the Lexus V6 and BMW turbo 6 are better.

That said, I go for the bmw. The styling is just much better. The new G sedan looks horrible IMHO. The new coupe looks better but in general Infiniti is losing its path in the styling department. It looks like they keeping glamming it up with chrome. Yuck. If I went with a Nissan product, it would be the new Z coupe.

My advice is go for a used 550 and see if you can a better finance rate. 550s are taking a beating on residuals and thats or you. The 550 is a great car and its been pretty reliable. It might be dicey owning one out of warranty but you can get coverage. In the end, if your a car guy your gonna pay $$ to get the right car. So pay alittle more.

One last thing. While the Infinits interiors are much better and come with plenty of gadgets, I still prefer the 5er interior for its unique and straighforward design. I know the new Jag and Lexus always seem better than my 5 after I sit in one. But those thoughts quickly go away as the 5ers rolls down the road. Overall, its just one nice machine that fits me perfect. Only a 997 gives me pause. And thats a different story.

Good luck.

CVT Benhogan
Old 12-19-2008, 07:34 PM
Contributors

I personally feel the M35 Infinity is a closer competitor to an e60 ... the G35 is usually compared to BMW 3 Series and usually comes in second place.

That said, Japanese techno stuff is pretty slick, but BMW mechanicals & driving lead the pack.

If you really must go Infinity - Make it an "M" - then at least you can whimper "I could have had a BMW!"
Old 12-19-2008, 10:19 PM
Contributors

enought said!
Old 12-20-2008, 07:50 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i | Black Sapphire Metallic | Black Dakota Leather | Anthracite Maple | 6 Speed Manual | Sport Package | Logic 7 | Sirius Satellite Radio
Model Year: 2005

Originally Posted by Howitzer' post='749036' date='Dec 19 2008, 04:28 PM
Dunno, I'm happy I backed down and stuck with my 5 series. I mean, if I didn't, I couldn't post here anymore, and if I did, I would feel nothing but regret. heh.
Are you keeping your 530i or are you going to trade it for a 545i or 550i?
How much affect did this thread have on your decision?
Old 12-23-2008, 09:14 AM
Members

Originally Posted by corgidog' post='749033' date='Dec 19 2008, 05:25 PM
I owned a 05 G35 Sedan with the 6 spd for 3.5 yrs and thought it was one heck of a car. Fast, tight, and trouble free. I put on snows and was ready to go. I just wanted AWD and a stick, and haven't ruled out going back to a G for my next car after my 09 535 Xdrive lease is up especially if they make an AWD car with a stick.
I can totally understand. I have an '04 Audi S4 6MT now and I love the combination of AWD, 6MT, and power. Quite a few folks have moved from the S4 to the 535xi given that there's such a shortage of cars with that particular combination of features. I'm waiting for the new B8 S4 (supercharged V6) to hit US shores before pulling the trigger, but I imagine my next car will be either that or a 535i/535xi 6MT. I won't ignore the G37 sedan 6MT, though...lots of car for your $$.
Old 12-23-2008, 09:34 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by BrianTx5' post='749417' date='Dec 20 2008, 12:50 PM
Are you keeping your 530i or are you going to trade it for a 545i or 550i?
How much affect did this thread have on your decision?

This thread had a lot of affect on my decision. I'm keeping my 530I and I'm going to wait until the dealers are on their friggen knees come spring 2009 and then probably go for a 545 or 550 used.
Old 12-23-2008, 10:13 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '06 550i '84 Nissan S12 Turbo

I was wrong when I said I got 2.9% on my 550 back in Oct.....it was 0.9% for 60 mo

Quick Reply: I am Ready to be Ridiculed....