E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Hyundai compares Sonata to E60!

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 05:57 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Coming soon...

Originally Posted by StasGS4
I wouldn't go around and bash Hyundais or Lexuses. I owned a Lexus before coming to the BMW world and the car was sweet. The only reason I mowed to BMW is because of driving dynamics and handling. However, I am worried about the mechanical problems a lot of members talk about on this forum. So far my car has been good to me and I hope it will stay this way.

Hyundai has come a long way from what it used to be. Reliability has been greatly improved and the warranty is extensive. In addition to that, when the car is 2.5 times cheaper than the simplest BMW 528i, it becomes a lot harder to resist. Remember, value for the money also plays a role when selecting a car.
I've owned a Lexus too, and it's not a BAD car, it's just that they feel cheap, and the handling is shitty compared to BMW. I agree that value for the money plays a role when selecting a car. In fact, that's the most important thing to me...which is why i shopped around and got a good deal on a BMW!
Old 03-26-2010, 05:58 AM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Originally Posted by amit1947
Hyundai is no joke guys. I think it's a stretch to compare the new sonata to a 5 series but the Genesis gives BMW a run for it's money. The V8 genesis is a great car with very good quality and decent handling. In fact Hyundai benchmarked the 5 series when developing the genesis. Oh and they're coming out with a true 7 series type car soon. If Hyundai is such a Pos then why is it more reliable than BMW?
You clearly don't understand the concept.
Old 03-26-2010, 06:12 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

BMW's own internal dealer briefing materials for the E9X M3 spent half their time focusing on comparisons with Porsche.

Every manufacturer, other than the true high end exotics , focuses on their higher-priced more premium competition. BMW does it, Porsche does it too (comparing the Panamera to the Aston Martin Rapide and the Maserati Quattroporte, for example, claiming better price/performance).

It is the oldest advertising play in the book, it works for the target market, and it's not worth getting upset about.

If you don't like the Hyundai, don't buy one.
Old 03-26-2010, 06:41 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i sport

Originally Posted by amit1947
Hyundai is no joke guys. I think it's a stretch to compare the new sonata to a 5 series but the Genesis gives BMW a run for it's money. The V8 genesis is a great car with very good quality and decent handling. In fact Hyundai benchmarked the 5 series when developing the genesis. Oh and they're coming out with a true 7 series type car soon. If Hyundai is such a Pos then why is it more reliable than BMW?
i looked at the genesis at the auto show

the car has the hp and it is significant for an american market where people want hp

hp is king

anyway, you quickly see how they charge 30% less

it's bad craftsmanship, bad material, and cheap parts overall

never drove one, but i suspect the attention to detail with respect to engineering is the same

BUT, i see them on the road, so they are being bought. The body style is not terrible either.

I've seen worse

The warranty is also significant
Old 03-26-2010, 06:44 AM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

They totally copied the Bentley badge on the Genesis.
Old 03-26-2010, 07:18 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW E60 530i

Ok, before I share my opinion, I would like to say that I'm from South Korea (native born) and now live in Australia and have done so for a long time. (so if I sound negative and/or biased please consider the above fact).

Firstly, our family owned an EF Sonata (brand new) at one stage and we almost died in the freeway because the whole transmission stick came off. Lot of people say and reviews have come to say that a Hyundai has improved in reliability but I have my doubts because the Hyundai Genesis have also been recalled due to random and sudden acceleration like the Toyota. So reliability-wise, I wouldn't believe the statistics about Hyundai being above BMW or whatever. Again, I may sound biased because our family now own BMWs but that's my personal experience.

Engineering and technicality-wise our family had no issues with BMW so far.

BUT, other things, I am quite disappointed with BMW. Customer Service is terrible where I am at. I know that BMWs aren't very expensive in Europe or as recognised as prestigious as is other countries like Australia but whenever I go in the dealership, the staff there has no manners and treats customers really badly. I feel like I'm at Toyota (no offence but I've owned a LandCruiser Sahara V8 for 3 years and I know how Toyota service is like). And other small things, like squeaky doors (due to flexing)... like come on, this is supposed to be a premium car and yet we have to stick tapes to stop squeaks? It's ridiculous... our Sonata had no squeaky problems and it cost AUD$28,000.00. My E60 530i w/ options cost almost 5 times! But, these are like minor issues and not major like a transmission stick coming off while travelling 100km/hr (62mph).

So... I don't know, my opinion is that a car needs to be safe... and I think BMW has definitely the edge over Hyundai in that aspect.

Genesis is a good car for it's price but comparing it to an E60 and in some cases to the E65 7 Series, it's just ridiculous. Obviously it's more set to the E60 5 Series and the flagship Hyundai Equus is the rival to the 7 Series, but even the two top Hyundai cars are still far away in matching a car that is at a BMW level in automotive engineering.

Design-wise, I won't deny it, Koreans are VERY good and efficient at drawing or coming up with similar designs to BMWs and other European cars. I guess it's necessary since the flame surfacing has become very popular. But then again, everyone else is copying BMW in that aspect too.
Old 03-26-2010, 11:41 AM
Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i M Sport

Originally Posted by Krozi
They totally copied the Bentley badge on the Genesis.
Better is to copy the good stuff than make a bad stuff on Your own.
Old 03-26-2010, 01:04 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2015 435xi GC

I have a friend who would go NUTS for this thread lol

"Genesis 3.8GT, amazing performance and beautiful styling.. Fast and cheap.. so it's better than your 550" yeah get the hell out of here lol
Old 03-26-2010, 05:44 PM
Contributors

There is a reason people turn their heads when we drive by.
Old 03-26-2010, 08:32 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

These things will always remind of the party I had at my house in New Jersey. A lot of my coworkers and friends were there, my street and driveway had BMW's, Mercs, Audis, Infiniti's, Lexus, even a few Escalades. One of my female friends brought a guy she was seeing at the time, after some time we went outside and were talking in the driveway, this guy spent literally 20 mins straight droning on and on about what he had done to his Tiburon, turbo this, intercooler that and all the money he spent. Finally one of my friends, who was leaning on his 7er smoking a cigar got tired of hearing it and said simply "It's still a fucking Hyundai" That was it, everyone laughed and we didn't hear any more about it. Good news? That same friend ended getting the guy a deal on an M3 later.

Quick Reply: Hyundai compares Sonata to E60!