E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

How Much Damage Is This? (PICTURES)

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 06:29 AM
Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I appreciate the feedback I have received so far. I took the car to three places, the first place quoted me $350 (never had work done there before), the second place quoted $400 (I've had work done there before, it was average quality but a good deal). Both of these places are owned by Eastern European's) and the forth place quoted $1,100 (went down to $900 after bargaining, American owned). The fourth place does professional classic car restoration and such, and do excellent work (had stuff done there before)... I'm just not sure I want to spend that much on this damage... especially considering this entry-level 5 series is 7 years old now. I do plan on driving this car for as long as possible, however.

Any thoughts are welcome.
Old 11-03-2010, 06:58 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DavaiLave
I appreciate the feedback I have received so far. I took the car to three places, the first place quoted me $350 (never had work done there before), the second place quoted $400 (I've had work done there before, it was average quality but a good deal). Both of these places are owned by Eastern European's) and the forth place quoted $1,100 (went down to $900 after bargaining, American owned). The fourth place does professional classic car restoration and such, and do excellent work (had stuff done there before)... I'm just not sure I want to spend that much on this damage... especially considering this entry-level 5 series is 7 years old now. I do plan on driving this car for as long as possible, however.

Any thoughts are welcome.
Wherever you choose to go take a close look at their shop. Be sure it's clean and well organized. Are they working on similar cars? BMWs Mercedes, Lexus etc? Ask for a reference and look at examples of their recent work. Check the BBB (Better Business Bureau for complaints.

Price doesn't always guarantee quality ... And I think you're a realist - it's not restoration of an expensive classic or extensive body/mechanical damage - it's fixing 'minor' damage on a 7 year old BMW.
Old 11-03-2010, 07:16 AM
Senior Members

hard to tell what happened but if the bumper is not dented, it would only require a repaint and you're set. the fender would need replacement, but it probably isn't much. $400 seems low. i would expect around $2k. so far i would be more inclined to trust the $900 source more than the others. also i would use yelp.com for recommended body shops in your area, or at least to see how the people you have visited so far are ranked by locals.
Old 11-03-2010, 09:50 AM
Members

Here's what I see.
If you have insurance get it professsionally repaired in a NON NYCshop.

If you dont have insurance, you want it fixed as cheaply (but good) as possible.
From the looks of it all, the headlight seems ok since you will notice the paint near the light is untouched, meaning the light didnt get hit.

The bumper, contrary to others belief looks like it can be cleaned easily via polishing compound as also the fender.
The dents on the fender can be straightened either via no paint method or by removal,banging out and painting.

Amazingly once cleaned up, the dents will not be so noticible.

So if you have no insurance, or no one else to pay, try polishing compound by hand only.
Use the heavier orange rubbing compound then go to the white polishing compound. It will probably cost under $5 for this.
Once cleaned up either leave it or shop around for the dent repair.
Old 11-04-2010, 10:49 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: F10 M-Sport
Model Year: 2014

Cheapest isn't always best.
Old 11-04-2010, 01:23 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 525
Model Year: 2004

New fender, front bumper, possible headlamp, paint, labor, alignment.

I'm guessing $3500 on the low side to $5500 on the high side. Higher side if you are needing a new lamp and if they mess up the airbag sensors when removing the bumper.
Old 11-04-2010, 02:26 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530I Silver gray with gray leather with Premium Package, Logic 7 Premium sound system with Ipod interface, xenon adaptive headlights, Active steering, Power retractable rear sunshade, Comfort seats, Cold weather package and M5 OEM 166 wheels, Sprintbooster. Ceramic Tint all around, Bilstein Sports shocks with Eibach springs, Brake performance Rotors and Axxis ceramic pads.

$400 seems very cheap, I recently have a rear bumper damage(scratches) and paid $340 with me taking the bumper off myself(it would have been $100 more if they did it).
Old 11-10-2010, 04:29 PM
Senior Members

I would say 700 worth of damage is fair, even if the headlight tabs are broken they will stil be held in tightly by the hood and bumper. FIX