E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to Maximize mpg

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 02:44 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jaycal3
I think the problem is there have been a million threads about mpg's and how to pinch an extra mile or two out of these cars. While there are a couple ways to do that a simple google or forum search would have turned up all this info in any number of threads posted previously.Not trying to be a di*&, but search.

What the post about the carbon filter didnt tell you is that you run the risk of screwing up your MAF sensor and having to spend all the money you thought you were saving in gas after your 1-2 mpg increase... Many people have had MAF issues and error msgs as a result of its removal.

I guess I am just a bit lost on how saving 2 or 3 mpg is really saving anything... tuffluck, your 5 mpg sounds good but at what risk? I haven't read the thread yet but will look... I am afraid I would have to listen to that damn chime that you hear when something goes haywire - and I have had my share of that! See my thread about my flooded 545! The point I was trying to make earlier is this... if you were/are truly worried about pinching a few pennies out of a couple additional mpg's here or there then maybe the e60 isn't the car for you. There are many other choices that would help in that category. Additionally, if I remember correctly, the OP is driving the beastly 8... mpg's are out the window!
after my research, i personally feel pretty comfortable running 87 with no long-term negative effects on the engine. that's just me.

secondly, 5mpg increase sounds like my engine prefers the lower octane, otherwise how would it be running BETTER?
Old 03-06-2011, 04:38 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 speed, Silver Gray A08, Gray leather Mods: Hard-Wired Passport 9500ix LIVE , K&N Air + RPi Scoop, Mtech V2.1 AE, ACS pedals+Ebrake, flip up front plate, OEM 172's, Custom M Kit, M3 shift knob, Eisemann Race Exhaust 2005 X5 3.0 (the nightmare) 1998 528i SOLD @ 173K

Castle makes a product called Dragon Power. Its really good stuff cleans out your injectors etc. I got about 2mpg gains after running a tank with it. I used it in my old e39 all the time and it made a big difference. I get it for about 6 bucks a bottle its something to try!

http://www.castlepackspower.com/Cata...agonpower.html
Old 03-07-2011, 06:09 AM
Members

My Ride: 545i/6

I get a combined 22-23mpg. Not bad for a 4dr v8 IMO. And yes, driving habits make a significant difference with these cars. A lead foot will kill any mpg, especially in a v8. I notice a 3-4mpg difference just by adjusting my driving style.

I also pulled my charcoal filter about 25k miles ago and have had zero issues. Just better mpg a better throttle response.
Old 03-07-2011, 06:20 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by cmoore_
I get a combined 22-23mpg. Not bad for a 4dr v8 IMO. And yes, driving habits make a significant difference with these cars. A lead foot will kill any mpg, especially in a v8. I notice a 3-4mpg difference just by adjusting my driving style.

I also pulled my charcoal filter about 25k miles ago and have had zero issues. Just better mpg a better throttle response.
so do you reset your mpg counter between city trips? you should do it. you'll be shocked at how much less than 22mpg you will get.
Old 03-07-2011, 06:32 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i M-sport, retrofitted heated M-sport steering wheel with paddles, Sport-auto transmission

Originally Posted by cmoore_
+1 Driving style makes a huge difference with these engines for city driving. Do the simple test over a couple of tanks of gas (reset mileage calc each time)... although it's painful to drive a full tank without being aggressive off the line and getting up to speed, you'll be surprised with the difference in mileage.

Then, once you're done you can file that information away in your mind and get back to driving the car like it was meant to be driver, all the while comforted with the knowledge that you could save gas if you wanted to...
Old 03-07-2011, 07:09 AM
Members

My Ride: 545i/6

Originally Posted by tuffluck
so do you reset your mpg counter between city trips? you should do it. you'll be shocked at how much less than 22mpg you will get.
I did early on. Things havnt changed that dramatically at all. Probably because my commute is 50/50 highway/city. I have always averaged 22-24mpg since owning the car. I agree it wouldnt be 22 in the city. But 18-19 is achievable.
Old 03-09-2011, 12:12 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i, 6-speed Manual, Silver Grey Metallic, Grey Dakota Leather, Cold Weather Pkg, Premium Sound Pkg, Sport Pkg, Lumbar Support

Originally Posted by tuffluck
leaving the counter running for a long period of time returns very inaccurate results. try resetting it between fills (or just do a manual calculation between each fill) and i think you'll find your actual mpg is significantly lower.
I did what you said, (resetting the trip computer), and on my normal 20 mile loop, I got 20.2 MPG, so in fact the historical avg was somewhat higher at 23.2. Also, this explains why the historical average has dropped from 23.5 to 23.2 over the time I have driven the car. The previous owner was getting better MPG than I have gotten.
Old 03-09-2011, 01:27 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by SilberGrauE60
I did what you said, (resetting the trip computer), and on my normal 20 mile loop, I got 20.2 MPG, so in fact the historical avg was somewhat higher at 23.2. Also, this explains why the historical average has dropped from 23.5 to 23.2 over the time I have driven the car. The previous owner was getting better MPG than I have gotten.
yeah definitely, not to mention i would drive for longer (at least 150 miles) before you can get good data, too. 20 miles is barely using a gallon of gas, so it's not really a measure of MPG, it's a measure of ONE MPG, heh.