E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to Maximize mpg

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 09:58 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 05 545i

Originally Posted by MRV99
I would remove the carbon filter from the airbox and get an RPI scoop. I got 2mpg with this setup. Verified bu 10 tanks of gas compared to the previous 15 tanks

I noticed that extra filter right above the actuall air filter..whats that all about??
Old 03-06-2011, 10:11 AM
Senior Members

That is to filter any unburnt fuel fumes from escaping the engine to the atmosphere. Completely worthless and restrictive.
Old 03-06-2011, 10:14 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: M5
Model Year: 2013
Engine: S63

Trade your 545i for my 530i!
Old 03-06-2011, 10:37 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Da_Meister_22
Trade your 545i for my 530i!

ahhhh dont think so lol. no offense, ill sacrafice a few gallons of gas for that good old power.
Old 03-06-2011, 10:41 AM
Members

Originally Posted by ta0sum
Lose 50lb of body fat and you will get 1 more mpg

Im too young to be fat. I should just stop cruising with fat girls
Old 03-06-2011, 10:54 AM
Members

Originally Posted by MRV99
That is to filter any unburnt fuel fumes from escaping the engine to the atmosphere. Completely worthless and restrictive.

See guys, now this is the reply i am looking for THANK YOU!

These guys are telling me to throw away my spare tire, and rug mats, and lose fat lol.
Old 03-06-2011, 11:28 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 535i

Originally Posted by MlifeE60
ahhhh dont think so lol. no offense, ill sacrafice a few gallons of gas for that good old power.
In that case buy a 535 and a JB4, then you'll have more power AND much better mileage!
Old 03-06-2011, 01:16 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Richr8
IMO- worrying about gas mileage in the 5vr totally negates the joy of owning the UDM. If I'm looking to save gas I'll ride my bike (KGT), or get a high mileage DD for getting around. When I drive the 5vr, it's all about the drive. YMMV.
BTW-The egg thing on the gas pedal is a great idea. Have fun.
i love when people post pointless responses like this. yeah OP, i know you are curious about maximizing mpg, but why don't you divert your attention elsewhere since your post is stupid.

really though, i personally have never owned a car where how you drive it (hard vs grandma) affects the mpg by more than 1mpg or so. i don't think your semi-lead foot is going to make any improvements in the mpg that are significant enough to cause you to want to drive the car slower.

check out my "regular gasoline" thread...i got 5mpg more (highway) just by switching to 87 octane.
Old 03-06-2011, 02:00 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 04' 545i, Sport Package, Black, Active Xenon, ARS, Aux Input '10 Tahoe, Black on Black, leather, Nav/XM, 20" tires, full body kit, power 2nd row, loaded '93 Jeep Wrangler, lifted 4.5", 33" meats, Rampage Recovery Bumper w/Tire Swing, etc 25' Aquasport Osprey, Center Console,2012 200 HO Etec

Originally Posted by MlifeE60
See guys, now this is the reply i am looking for THANK YOU!

These guys are telling me to throw away my spare tire, and rug mats, and lose fat lol.

I think the problem is there have been a million threads about mpg's and how to pinch an extra mile or two out of these cars. While there are a couple ways to do that a simple google or forum search would have turned up all this info in any number of threads posted previously.Not trying to be a di*&, but search.

What the post about the carbon filter didnt tell you is that you run the risk of screwing up your MAF sensor and having to spend all the money you thought you were saving in gas after your 1-2 mpg increase... Many people have had MAF issues and error msgs as a result of its removal.

Originally Posted by tuffluck
i love when people post pointless responses like this. yeah OP, i know you are curious about maximizing mpg, but why don't you divert your attention elsewhere since your post is stupid.

really though, i personally have never owned a car where how you drive it (hard vs grandma) affects the mpg by more than 1mpg or so. i don't think your semi-lead foot is going to make any improvements in the mpg that are significant enough to cause you to want to drive the car slower.

check out my "regular gasoline" thread...i got 5mpg more (highway) just by switching to 87 octane.
I guess I am just a bit lost on how saving 2 or 3 mpg is really saving anything... tuffluck, your 5 mpg sounds good but at what risk? I haven't read the thread yet but will look... I am afraid I would have to listen to that damn chime that you hear when something goes haywire - and I have had my share of that! See my thread about my flooded 545! The point I was trying to make earlier is this... if you were/are truly worried about pinching a few pennies out of a couple additional mpg's here or there then maybe the e60 isn't the car for you. There are many other choices that would help in that category. Additionally, if I remember correctly, the OP is driving the beastly 8... mpg's are out the window!
Old 03-06-2011, 02:27 PM
Members

Originally Posted by jaycal3
I think the problem is there have been a million threads about mpg's and how to pinch an extra mile or two out of these cars. While there are a couple ways to do that a simple google or forum search would have turned up all this info in any number of threads posted previously.Not trying to be a di*&, but search.

What the post about the carbon filter didnt tell you is that you run the risk of screwing up your MAF sensor and having to spend all the money you thought you were saving in gas after your 1-2 mpg increase... Many people have had MAF issues and error msgs as a result of its removal.

I guess I am just a bit lost on how saving 2 or 3 mpg is really saving anything... tuffluck, your 5 mpg sounds good but at what risk? I haven't read the thread yet but will look... I am afraid I would have to listen to that damn chime that you hear when something goes haywire - and I have had my share of that! See my thread about my flooded 545! The point I was trying to make earlier is this... if you were/are truly worried about pinching a few pennies out of a couple additional mpg's here or there then maybe the e60 isn't the car for you. There are many other choices that would help in that category. Additionally, if I remember correctly, the OP is driving the beastly 8... mpg's are out the window!

bmw claims 17-26..thats what im aiming for.

Quick Reply: How to Maximize mpg