E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

How can you tell?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 10:44 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 Silver BMW 525i, loaded w/o Nav 2007 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer, loaded w/o Nav

OK, as I mentioned last year we accidentally got a BMW- as this was not the car we sought out to get. However, we have it now- and it's a really nice car.

It's a BMW 525i, and I showed it to some co-workers, and one said, "You should have gotten the sport package".

Now, I call myself knowing a little bit about cars, I can typically tell a 760Li, from someone who has rebadged their 745- and didn't go all out with the trim bits- but (unless larger wheels/tires came on the sport), how can you look at a 525i, and tel whether or not it was equipped with the sport package?

The reason I ask is, I have to get brakes for mine, and I'm gonna swap out the wheels & tires- I hear the 525I auto (2004) came with two different size offerings for the rotors in the automatic (If this is true, probably due to the sport package). I want to make sure I order the right parts, and secondly, I don't want any rubbing (as was the case with the wheels I got from my friend) so I'm not sure if the staggered 19" set up, or the 18's with the same size tire all around would be best.

How can I tell if I have or don't have the sport package? Darn didn't come with an owner's manual, and I wasn't about to pay $100 for one from the dealership.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:48 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by bighersh
OK, as I mentioned last year we accidentally got a BMW- as this was not the car we sought out to get. However, we have it now- and it's a really nice car.

It's a BMW 525i, and I showed it to some co-workers, and one said, "You should have gotten the sport package".

Now, I call myself knowing a little bit about cars, I can typically tell a 760Li, from someone who has rebadged their 745- and didn't go all out with the trim bits- but (unless larger wheels/tires came on the sport), how can you look at a 525i, and tel whether or not it was equipped with the sport package?

The reason I ask is, I have to get brakes for mine, and I'm gonna swap out the wheels & tires- I hear the 525I auto (2004) came with two different size offerings for the rotors in the automatic (If this is true, probably due to the sport package). I want to make sure I order the right parts, and secondly, I don't want any rubbing (as was the case with the wheels I got from my friend) so I'm not sure if the staggered 19" set up, or the 18's with the same size tire all around would be best.

How can I tell if I have or don't have the sport package? Darn didn't come with an owner's manual, and I wasn't about to pay $100 for one from the dealership.
Shadowline trim. All BMW 5 series with the sport package all have Shadowline trim, which is the black trim on the window surrounds if the car has the sport package. A seasoned BMW guy will also be able to tell by the ride height, which is almost an inch higher.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:55 AM
Senior Members

sports package is overrated anyway IMO. the suspension is slightly better but otherwise all the other differences are really aesthetic, except MAYBE the seats. just be glad you don't have to deal with run-flats.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:59 AM
Members

Originally Posted by tuffluck
sports package is overrated anyway IMO. the suspension is slightly better but otherwise all the other differences are really aesthetic, except MAYBE the seats. just be glad you don't have to deal with run-flats.
and the active steering..
Old 09-01-2010, 11:07 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 Silver BMW 525i, loaded w/o Nav 2007 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer, loaded w/o Nav

So, the sports package rides higher, or lower? I'd think lower- but since it seems you can stuff taller and wider tires under an M5 than you can any other 5, maybe the sports package rides higher?

Black trim around the doors huh? Yep, he had to be pretty well-seasoned to know that.
I'd never really paid much attention to the 3's or the 5's, always looking at the 7's (from afar). So, I don't know subtle details about the 5 that I do on the 7. It was the Bangle BMW's that really caught my eye, beginning in 2004.

Of the 5's the M5 has had my respect since 1988- back when it had asthma compared to the E39 & E60 variants. My squad leader had one (1986, red, Euro Spec., and he didn't take it back to the US) when I was in Germany (1988 - 1990). It was something else on the autobahn..
Old 09-01-2010, 11:08 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545i, sport pkg, premium sound, sprint booster,

Originally Posted by tuffluck
Don't be a hater!
Old 09-01-2010, 11:23 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525i M Sport Carbon Black Cream Leather Interior

Just Google, 525i M Sport and 525i SE then you'll see the difference, it's a pretty big difference visually when you compare the two together.
Old 09-01-2010, 11:39 AM
Members

My Ride: Coming soon...

2004 BMW 5 Series Owner's Manual
Attached Files
Old 09-01-2010, 11:40 AM
Members

My Ride: Coming soon...

2004 BMW 5 Series Brochure
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Old 09-01-2010, 12:32 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i
Model Year: 2004

Originally Posted by bighersh
... and secondly, I don't want any rubbing (as was the case with the wheels I got from my friend) so I'm not sure if the staggered 19" set up, or the 18's with the same size tire all around would be best...
Assuming that 18"/19" wheels are made for E60, you shouldn't have any rubbing issue as long as the tire sizes are correct. For example, if you put M166 or M167 rims on with the original tire spec from M5/M6, the rear might be ok but the front would definitely rub. Because M5 and M6 use wider tires.