E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

How can you tell?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 04:27 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pukka
Overrated? Aesthetic????

What about Active Roll Stabilization, staggered wheels, stiffer springs, and on the 550i the M tuned suspension???
drive both, it really isn't that much different on a 5 series. on a 645i, however, it's noticeably different.
Old 09-01-2010, 04:52 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545I and a half dozen other rides

Originally Posted by pukka
Overrated? Aesthetic????

What about Active Roll Stabilization, staggered wheels, stiffer springs, and on the 550i the M tuned suspension???
The Active Roll Stabilization did it for me I rode both while shopping for cars and there was a night and day difference. The staggered wheels... well that is more of a visual thing, I'd rather have the front tires just as big and fat as the rear so there is less push in the corners. maybe even bigger but the front fenders won't allow you to.
Old 09-01-2010, 05:03 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 04' 545i, Sport Package, Black, Active Xenon, ARS, Aux Input '10 Tahoe, Black on Black, leather, Nav/XM, 20" tires, full body kit, power 2nd row, loaded '93 Jeep Wrangler, lifted 4.5", 33" meats, Rampage Recovery Bumper w/Tire Swing, etc 25' Aquasport Osprey, Center Console,2012 200 HO Etec

Originally Posted by tuffluck
drive both, it really isn't that much different on a 5 series. on a 645i, however, it's noticeably different.
I couldnt disagree more... sorry. And I personally think its way more than aesthetically pleasing. I test drove more than a few 545's with and without the Sport package... there is a huge difference in handling. Not to mention all the other reasons:
-Shadow line trim
-Comfort seats (holy crap are they comfortable)
-Active Roll Stabalization
-Staggered wheels
-Lower stance

With or without it its an amazing car.
Old 09-01-2010, 07:10 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by jaycal3
I couldnt disagree more... sorry. And I personally think its way more than aesthetically pleasing. I test drove more than a few 545's with and without the Sport package... there is a huge difference in handling. Not to mention all the other reasons:
-Shadow line trim
-Comfort seats (holy crap are they comfortable)
-Active Roll Stabalization
-Staggered wheels
-Lower stance

With or without it its an amazing car.
have you driven both? like really driven them, 80mph+, swerved in between the lanes? this is the internet, everyone can lie, but really, have you done it? i did it back to back with my car, a 2007 530i, and then a 2011 535i with the M package...not sure if the M package is different, but sounds like it should be better than the sports package if you ask me. there was no difference that i could really notice.
Old 09-01-2010, 07:39 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 Silver BMW 525i, loaded w/o Nav 2007 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer, loaded w/o Nav

I haven't driven a 5 with a sport package, but- when we were about to buy a car, I drove a 2004 Mercedes Benz E500 with the sport package, then I drove our 525i. Although I preferred the looks and power of the E500 over the Bimmer, I preferred the ride of the 525i over that of the sport-tuned E500. The "E" was $2K cheaper, but had 12,000 more miles on it- so for two reasons, we passed.

There was no denying the power of the E500, but I know 99% of the time, the ride is going to be more important than the power (I live in the suburbs of a major city, with suburbs of a major city traffic), so I'll only really need maybe 50 of the 300 horses the E500 had, on a daily basis.

So, for me- I preferred the softer "luxury" ride of the 525i, over the tank-like ride of the E500.

Something with an adjustable ride would be even better.

If they'd had a 2004 45 on the lot, that would have been the best of both worlds, but man- although there's not much aesthetic difference in the exterior appearance of these cars, when you go from 525 to 545, there's a huge difference in price, which I think is ridiculous- just for an engine. Unlike American cars where the v8 option (unless we're talking Corvettes) will only typically add +/- $1,000 - $3,000 to the price of a vehicle where a v8 is an option- in the BMW line, having the V8 will add nearly 5 figures to the price. I think the 535 is a strong argument, 300 HP is nothing to sneeze at.
Old 09-01-2010, 07:48 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 04' 545i, Sport Package, Black, Active Xenon, ARS, Aux Input '10 Tahoe, Black on Black, leather, Nav/XM, 20" tires, full body kit, power 2nd row, loaded '93 Jeep Wrangler, lifted 4.5", 33" meats, Rampage Recovery Bumper w/Tire Swing, etc 25' Aquasport Osprey, Center Console,2012 200 HO Etec

have you driven both? like really driven them, 80mph+, swerved in between the lanes? this is the internet, everyone can lie, but really, have you done it? i did it back to back with my car, a 2007 530i, and then a 2011 535i with the M package...not sure if the M package is different, but sounds like it should be better than the sports package if you ask me. there was no difference that i could really notice.
Yes... thats what I said. I drove (read "really drove") both on a few different occasions before finding my car. The Active Steering and stability of the vehicle make it a different experience. I felt like the Sport gave much "flatter" cornering. You dive into a corner doing 60+ and most cars lean or roll enough to make you uncomfortable. The sport does not do this - it gives you a sense that it is still level in that corner, thereby giving you, the driver, more control. Combine that with the seats that are just stupidly comfortable and a lower, wider stance... yes I "drove" them... a test drive shouldn't be just around the block.

Maybe when you add the big 8 it heightens the difference in handling. You are missing out on 70+ horsepower and a whole lot of torque going from an 04 545i to a 07 530i.

Again, just an amazing car either way.
Old 09-01-2010, 08:02 PM
Contributors

Man I wish I new when I bought my car I wouldve chose sport pkg just for the comfort seats. Premium pkg comes with leather right? I think I have leather can't tell cause seat not as comfortable as other cars owned.
Old 09-01-2010, 09:32 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

You call that test driving? When you can hit double the posted speed limit on a curve with a non sport and sport (with active steering) and say they are the same, then come tell us. Sport package on BMW is not like Lexus or Infiniti. It's not just for the looks. I'm afraid you have not pushed the car far enough to tell the difference.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:41 PM
Contributors

My Ride: '07 530iSport PackageLuxury Packagemore to come

Is it true that sports package always has staggered wheels? My '07 with sports package had style 123 18" nonstaggered wheels. I was under the assumption that sport package cars were staggered too but I was corrected on this forum. Now someone is saying it again.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:59 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Bimmer32
You call that test driving? When you can hit double the posted speed limit on a curve with a non sport and sport (with active steering) and say they are the same, then come tell us. Sport package on BMW is not like Lexus or Infiniti. It's not just for the looks. I'm afraid you have not pushed the car far enough to tell the difference.
+1