E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Hong Kong E60 sub-Forum

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2005, 07:26 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by mic325' date='Oct 26 2005, 08:03 AM
But don't know why the other trims are starting to oxidize. They tried to polish it for me, but it still looks cloudy.
[snapback]188852[/snapback]

Ya another reason why id ont like the chrome trims... they're really like plastic so they get cloudy... I dont have the chrome on the E60 but have it on the MINI and its getting cloudy and I dont like that.

P.S. Yes i can compare them... they use the same trim material... MINI share sooooo many parts with BMW its not even funny.
Old 10-26-2005, 07:29 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by AC_S5' date='Oct 25 2005, 06:59 AM
1 hour? that's crazy!? Your mechanic charges you like a lawyer does :thumbsdown:? Took me 40 mins to change it and most of the time I was working on the side clips, once I took off the first grill the second one was like taking candy from a child.
[snapback]188385[/snapback]
O... I thought taking a cady from a child is not easy....
Old 10-26-2005, 07:30 PM
Contributors

My Ride: In a place where the Mercedes density is the highest in the world (no. of MB per square kilometer) I choose a Bimmer, why? because of one thing "The Ultimate Driving Experience" My Ride: 523i Steptronic, Silver Grey Exterior, Black Interior with Black Dakota Leather and Maple Wood Trim. Chrome Grill, Style 123 rim, Airbags everywhere, PDC, Rain sensor, Auto lights, Moveable front armrest, Advance Climate Control, Glass Sunroof, Auto dimming interior and exterior mirror with foldable functions, Extended Lights package, 6 CD changer in glove box, Power seats with memory, Power adjustable steering wheel, Power rear sunblinds. Add ons: 123 wheels, chrome grill, K&N Hi flow filter, Eibach Pro Kit, e60.net decal and 24,000km Past rides: 2001 Nissan Xterra SE 1999 E39 523i 1999 E46 323i 1996 Acura Integra LS

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' date='Oct 27 2005, 11:26 AM
[quote name='mic325' date='Oct 26 2005, 08:03 AM']But don't know why the other trims are starting to oxidize. They tried to polish it for me, but it still looks cloudy.
[snapback]188852[/snapback]

Ya another reason why id ont like the chrome trims... they're really like plastic so they get cloudy... I dont have the chrome on the E60 but have it on the MINI and its getting cloudy and I dont like that.

P.S. Yes i can compare them... they use the same trim material... MINI share sooooo many parts with BMW its not even funny.
[snapback]189255[/snapback]
[/quote]

Get them to change the trim for you if is not right. :thumbsdown:
Old 10-26-2005, 07:31 PM
Contributors

My Ride: In a place where the Mercedes density is the highest in the world (no. of MB per square kilometer) I choose a Bimmer, why? because of one thing "The Ultimate Driving Experience" My Ride: 523i Steptronic, Silver Grey Exterior, Black Interior with Black Dakota Leather and Maple Wood Trim. Chrome Grill, Style 123 rim, Airbags everywhere, PDC, Rain sensor, Auto lights, Moveable front armrest, Advance Climate Control, Glass Sunroof, Auto dimming interior and exterior mirror with foldable functions, Extended Lights package, 6 CD changer in glove box, Power seats with memory, Power adjustable steering wheel, Power rear sunblinds. Add ons: 123 wheels, chrome grill, K&N Hi flow filter, Eibach Pro Kit, e60.net decal and 24,000km Past rides: 2001 Nissan Xterra SE 1999 E39 523i 1999 E46 323i 1996 Acura Integra LS

Originally Posted by gf366' date='Oct 27 2005, 11:29 AM
[quote name='AC_S5' date='Oct 25 2005, 06:59 AM']1 hour? that's crazy!? Your mechanic charges you like a lawyer does :thumbsdown:?? Took me 40 mins to change it and most of the time I was working on the side clips, once I took off the first grill the second one was like taking candy from a child.
[snapback]189259[/snapback]
[/quote]

Not exactly easy, just a little bit of work nothing too hard.

Hey how about your quad exhaust, mind telling us where you got it done and what type of exhaust it is?
Old 10-26-2005, 07:34 PM
Ray
Members

Dear all,

I am new to this forum and really learned a lot by reading the articles. First, a bit of myself. I used to live in Toronto and moved back to HK about 5 years ago.

About my bimmer... well actually I am still waiting for my 523i. This will be my first bimmer in HK (my dad has a 740 in Toronto) and you can expect, I am very excited about it and start counting days ever since I sign the sales contract (the car should be here around Dec, I am crossing my finger). It will be black on black with aluminum trip. It will be a 06 model with the push start button.

It really took me a long time to read all the posts in this topic but I would say it's well worth the time. By looking at BunBun's car (what a cool one and same couor as mine!!), I have decided to add the M kit and the rim. However, it's so expensive to do it at BMWHK, especially during the first 6 months. I don't mind moding the kit via outside garage but I am a bit concern upgrading the rim and the runflat as the car needs to be re-programmed for the tire pressure (same mentality as BunBun). Does anyone have any suggestions on that?

In case anyone is interested, I am planning to upgrade the rim to 122 only (again same as BunBun) as my wife needs to drive it everyday (long haul!!) and we don't wanna change the tires every 3 months.

Finally, I got a question regarding the stereo connection with Ipod. I know right now there's no integration with Ipod and I don't wanna go through all the hassle to mod it using after market ones. The only option is FM transmitter. Based on my research on-line, the one put up by Kensington seems to be the best (among the bad bunch). Has anyone tried in before?

Sorry for the long post

Cheers
Ray
Old 10-26-2005, 07:38 PM
Ray
Members

Just read my own post and noticed that I had tons of typos . Sorry about that !! Will spell check it in the future.
Old 10-26-2005, 07:40 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by AC_S5' date='Oct 26 2005, 09:31 PM
[quote name='gf366' date='Oct 27 2005, 11:29 AM'][quote name='AC_S5' date='Oct 25 2005, 06:59 AM']1 hour? that's crazy!? Your mechanic charges you like a lawyer does :thumbsdown:?? Took me 40 mins to change it and most of the time I was working on the side clips, once I took off the first grill the second one was like taking candy from a child.
[/quote]

Hey how about your quad exhaust, mind telling us where you got it done and what type of exhaust it is?
[snapback]189263[/snapback]
[/quote]

As I'd made a very wrong move for the Gembella exhaust for my porsche, I don't want to mess w/ my beloved e60... My wife is complaining everyday about the noise every day for that car...

Therefore, this time I'd rather not taking the risk to get some nice exhaust... So, bunbun is right, I did not change the muffler... Everything you see there is just cosmetic pieces... I've done the job in a shop in kowloon who's specialize in this kind of "difficult job"...

At the beginning, I wasn't too sure about the craftsmanship of the shop. However, once I'd arrived the shop, I'd saw tons of Ferrari's and Porsche's, I'd gain some confident...

For your information, I'm satisfied w/ the job... The rear apron mod is about 95% balance on the left and right side, the exhaust tips is very nice, not too big and not too small, just a tiny bit bigger than the originals...
Old 10-26-2005, 07:42 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by AC_S5' date='Oct 26 2005, 08:30 PM
Get them to change the trim for you if is not right.? :thumbsdown:
[snapback]189260[/snapback]
Its not right but I know they;ll just say its Fine its ok... and wont do anything.

I complaied about door seal noise and they siad they cant hear it.
Old 10-26-2005, 07:47 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Ray' date='Oct 27 2005, 11:34 AM
Dear all,

I am new to this forum and really learned a lot by reading the articles. First, a bit of myself. I used to live in Toronto and moved back to HK about 5 years ago.

About my bimmer... well actually I am still waiting for my 523i. This will be my first bimmer in HK (my dad has a 740 in Toronto) and you can expect, I am very excited about it and start counting days ever since I sign the sales contract (the car should be here around Dec, I am crossing my finger). It will be black on black with aluminum trip. It will be a 06 model with the push start button.

It really took me a long time to read all the posts in this topic but I would say it's well worth the time. By looking at BunBun's car (what a cool one and same couor as mine!!), I have decided to add the M kit and the rim. However, it's so expensive to do it at BMWHK, especially during the first 6 months. I don't mind moding the kit via outside garage but I am a bit concern upgrading the rim and the runflat as the car needs to be re-programmed for the tire pressure (same mentality as BunBun). Does anyone have any suggestions on that?

In case anyone is interested, I am planning to upgrade the rim to 122 only (again same as BunBun) as my wife needs to drive it everyday (long haul!!) and we don't wanna change the tires every 3 months.

Finally, I got a question regarding the stereo connection with Ipod. I know right now there's no integration with Ipod and I don't wanna go through all the hassle to mod it using after market ones. The only option is FM transmitter. Based on my research on-line, the one put up by Kensington seems to be the best (among the bad bunch). Has anyone tried in before?

Sorry for the long post? ?

Cheers
Ray
[snapback]189266[/snapback]
Welcome on board Ray, yea... another Torontonian on board.

The runflat indicator will have to be reset regardless of what kind of tires you get (RF and non RF) is quite simple, just go into the iDrive under RPA to set the tyre pressure and just drive off the system will initialize by itself. I have to do that when I swapped to the 123 rim. The sensors sense a flat by determining the speed which the wheel turn and different rim and tires turn at different speed.

By changing to style 122 it doesn't mean that the tire wear will be better, it depends on the treadwear of the tires. Unfortunately, the tires on the 123 is Bridgestone Potenza and those tire are not well known for durability. I might change it to something not as sporty the next time around because I don't really do any hard cornering myself. This tire guy recommends Kumho to me if I want high treadwear (something like 300 vs 140 on the BPs) and the price is quite good too but don't know if the tire is good or not.

As for the ipod, those FM transmitter are not my favourite but I brought it because last time when I was in Canada I needed music in my rental car and is not a good idea to bring along my CD collection for the trip. I just use the CD changer that's standard in HK and I'm Lovin' it.
Old 10-26-2005, 07:55 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by gf366' date='Oct 27 2005, 11:40 AM
[quote name='AC_S5' date='Oct 26 2005, 09:31 PM'][quote name='gf366' date='Oct 27 2005, 11:29 AM'][quote name='AC_S5' date='Oct 25 2005, 06:59 AM']1 hour? that's crazy!? Your mechanic charges you like a lawyer does :thumbsdown:?? Took me 40 mins to change it and most of the time I was working on the side clips, once I took off the first grill the second one was like taking candy from a child.
[/quote]

[snapback]189263[/snapback]
[/quote]

As I'd made a very wrong move for the Gembella exhaust for my porsche, I don't want to mess w/ my beloved e60... My wife is complaining everyday about the noise every day for that car...

Therefore, this time I'd rather not taking the risk to get some nice exhaust... So, bunbun is right, I did not change the muffler... Everything you see there is just cosmetic pieces... I've done the job in a shop in kowloon who's specialize in this kind of "difficult job"...

At the beginning, I wasn't too sure about the craftsmanship of the shop. However, once I'd arrived the shop, I'd saw tons of Ferrari's and Porsche's, I'd gain some confident...

For your information, I'm satisfied w/ the job... The rear apron mod is about 95% balance on the left and right side, the exhaust tips is very nice, not too big and not too small, just a tiny bit bigger than the originals...
[snapback]189271[/snapback]
[/quote]

Yeah those quads are very nice, customize hmm.. never thought of that. I feel the original exhaust are a bit small and not nice, so that's why I just want a bigger tip but not those where you can put your hands in them literally. But will just wait for now, I like the fresh look of the rim and until i am tired of it no more mods for the time being.

Quick Reply: Hong Kong E60 sub-Forum